PDA

View Full Version : How can you get regeneration/fast healing?

Trandir
2019-08-17, 04:48 PM
Just as the title ask.

How can you, a human or other LA +0 race adventurer, get one or both active 24/7?

So far I and everyone that helped have found the following methods. But I am sure that there are a lot more not covered here.

Regeneration:

The feat Troll Blooded (Dragon #319)

Fast healing:

The Soldier of Light PrC (Deities and Demigods)
The Celestial Mystic PrC (Book of Exalted Deeds)
The Healing Blood graft (Lords of Madness)
The Buer, Grandmother Huntress vestige (Tome of Magic)
TheUnholy Scion template (Heroes of Horror)
The Curst template (Lost Empires of Faerûn)
The Greenbound creature template (Lost Empires of Faerûn)
The Evolved Undead template (Libris Mortis)
The Saint template (Book of Exalted Deeds)
The Feral template (Savage Species)
The Shadow Creature template (Lords of Madness)
The Anarchic creature template(Planar Handbook)
The Vivacious creature template ( Planar Handbook)
The Half-Troll template (Fiend Folio)
The Vampire template (Monster Manual)
The Animus template (Dragon #339)
The Radiant creature template (Dragon #321)
The Savage Vampire template (Dragon #348)
The Shadow Vampire template (Dragon #348)
The Terror Vampire template (Dragon #348)
The Corrupted template (Dragon #350)

Both:

The PrC Illithid Savant (Savage Species). This requires a little bit of work to consume the brain of a creature with the regeneration or fast healing SU but one can get them with this class.

Conditional Fast healing:

The Half-Scrag template (Fiend Folio). This is the acquatic version of the Half-Troll one from the same book, his fast healing only works while immersed in water.
The Half-Vampire creature template (Libris Mortis). Only when your hp are between 1 and half of the max hp.
The Draconic Shaman's (PHB II) draconic aura: vigor. Only when any ally, included the shaman; is below one half max hp.
The Phoenix Belt soulmeld (Magic of Incarnum) if you have binded it to the waist chakra and you reduce damage thanks to your fire resistance you gain fast healing 1 for as many rounds as the damage prevented (so you could lit yourself on fire and have it active all the time)
Wand of Persistent Vigor (DMG). A wand with a persistent vigor spell does basically the same thing as having fast healing 2 as an SU but you will need to keep the magic item with you to keep it up all the time and you need a wand every 50 days of adventure.
The feat Combat Vigor (PHB II). Depending on how your DM intend "encounter" you could be able to heal off combat by practicing swordfight with another member of the party.
The Fleshvigor template (Dragon #315). You need to be any non-skeletal undead. After consuming a dead creature you heal depending on the creature HD and fast healing 1 for 5 minutes, so one could bring a sack full of toads, rats, or your vavourite 1/2 HD monster and be constantly under fast healing (for some reason the initial heal scales with the creature's HD but the fast healing doesn't).
The Scion of Tem-Et-Nu PrC (Sandstorm) provides fast healing 5 as long as you begin your turn in a river or adjancent to one
The Dry Lich template (Sandstorm). As long as you are in an arid environment you gain the fast healing but water and humid can block it even in a desert
The Millennial Chainmail (Magic Item Compendium). If you have this relic, worship Corellon, have the True Beliver feat and are in a place with lighting better than shadowy you have fast healing 3 at all time
The Dragon Mantle soulmeld (Dragon Magic). While binded to the heart chakra you get fast healing equal to the essentia invested while you have less than half your max hp

Here are some options that are not suited for most games. It either requires a high LA race or are thenselves a high LA race:

The Troll race (Monster Manual)
The Tree Troll race (Dragon #299)
The Ogre Mage race (Monster Manual)
The Troll, Crystalline race (Monster Manual III)
The Harssaf race (Monster Manual III)
The Good Archdragon template (Dragon #321), you need to be a true dragon to take this one and almost every true dragon has a LA higher than +1
The Deshada Dragon (Dangerous Denizens: The Monsters of Tellene) is LA +1 and can qualify for the Archdragon template
The Mul race (Dragon #319)

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-08-17, 04:54 PM
The Troll Blooded feat grants regen 1, but it makes you tired in sunlight. Feel free to add it to someone who is immune to fatigue, like a warforged.

The LA +1 evolved undead template grants fast healing, and you can add it to a necropolitan. Best if used with LA buyoff.

A wand of lesser vigor grants fast healing for a few rounds, which is a much better deal per hp healed than cure light wounds. It does not, however, give it to you permanently. It'd be worth using Persistent Spell on, though. Or just get yourself an acorn of far travel from a tree on a plane that is timeless with regards to magic, so neither spell ever dissipates.

Or you could get an acorn from a tree on the Positive Energy Plane. Or a demiplane with PEP healing. Preferably with Ysgardian resurrections, as well.

[edit] You could become an illithid savant and eat a troll. Or a hydra. Or the tarrasque...

Trandir
2019-08-17, 05:20 PM
You could become an illithid savant and eat a troll. Or a hydra. Or the tarrasque...

Thanks for the help with the feat and the template and also the little trick with the acorn.

The LA +0 is to reflect what would happen in an usual game, and the illithid savant comes with the mindflayer race so an ECL of 16 at level 1

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-08-17, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the help with the feat and the template and also the little trick with the acorn.

The LA +0 is to reflect what would happen in an usual game, and the illithid savant comes with the mindflayer race so an ECL of 16 at level 1There's also the half-illithid template. Or Illithid Heritage. Or you could just polymorph into a mindflayer upon taking your first level, or when you need to gain an ability using your class features. Or you could just polymorph into something with the swallow whole ability, since you're eating an entire creature's body, and its brain is in there...somewhere. Unless they're kender, in which case I'd be rather skeptical about that statement.

Trandir
2019-08-17, 05:40 PM
There's also the half-illithid template. Or Illithid Heritage. Or you could just polymorph into a mindflayer upon taking your first level, or when you need to gain an ability using your class features. Or you could just polymorph into something with the swallow whole ability, since you're eating an entire creature's body, and its brain is in there...somewhere. Unless they're kender, in which case I'd be rather skeptical about that statement.

Ok I am a bit slow but could you explain me:

What exactly does illithid heritage towards obtaining regeneration/fast healing?

The half-illithid template is debatable that doesn't grant you the mind flayer race prerequisite for the illithad savant but let's just assume that it does: then you are the slave of the illithid how is it usefull for any PC to be in that spot?

Are you suggesting to use polymorph-like effects to qualify for a PrC?

LordBlades
2019-08-17, 05:44 PM
The Dragon Shaman's Draconic Aura (Vigor), also obtainable via a Feat depending on the reading of Dragon Magic grants Fast Healing 1 below 50% HP.

AnimeTheCat
2019-08-17, 05:45 PM
Combat focus>combat vigor. You get fast healing whenever you're in your combat focus. Punch an ally, get combat focus, get fast healing. Pick up a 3rd combat form fest that goes from fast healing 2 to fast healing 4.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-08-17, 05:53 PM
Ok I am a bit slow but could you explain me:

What exactly does illithid heritage towards obtaining regeneration/fast healing?Well, all of the other Heritage feats allow you to qualify as being the heritage creature for prereqs. DMs who would allow illithid savant would be more likely to allow Illithid Heritage to qualify, as well.

It's really too bad that Illithid Heritage was printed in CPsi, which is notoriously bad for all sorts of reasons. There are enough feats and such that require that you be an illithid to take (such as the illithid graft crafting feat) that Illithid Heritage would be quite useful if it allowed you to meet those qualifications. Then take some illithid savant and eat the tarrasque to be nigh unkillable, along with having regen 40.

The half-illithid template is debatable that doesn't grant you the mind flayer race prerequisite for the illithad savant but let's just assume that it does: then you are the slave of the illithid how is it usefull for any PC to be in that spot?How is being an illithid savant making you a slave?

Are you suggesting to use polymorph-like effects to qualify for a PrC?You can use temp effects to qualify for things, such as using Strength-enhancing gloves to qualify for Power Attack. With feats, however, if you lose the prereq, you can't use the feat. Unlike with feats, most prestige classes don't have that stipulation. Unless a class says you lose some or all of its abilities if you no longer qualify (such as paladin), you can still use its abilities even if you lose a prereq. Taking a level in a PrC with skill ranks and taking a negative level (so you lose a rank) typically just means you can't take more levels until you qualify again, unless it's a PrC in Complete Warrior (which explicitly calls this out on the PrCs within its pages, but it doesn't affect any other PrCs elsewhere, else a 10th level dragon disciple would be seriously screwed).

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-08-17, 06:19 PM
The illithid savaj is probably the one that creates the half-illithid. One of those monstruosity is created by putting a mind flayer tadpole into the skull of the poor bastard and letting the little one feast on his brain. This resoult in a half-illithid that like the lesser mind flayers is a servant to the illithid or elder brain of that hive.Nah. Illithid savant eats brains to take skills, feats, and special abilities from the things they eat.

Well I am not a DM but this seems a bit off.
My DM would throw at me his metal dice collection if I even try to suggest something like this but some others might be fine with it.Yeah, not all DMs would allow it, but I know for a fact that some would. I've had a few that like players being clever; it lets them stretch their mental muscles more without being worried about TPKs.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-08-17, 06:30 PM
Yes absolutely that is what the illithid savand allows to do. But that was about half-illithid and those creatures are slaves to the higher grade mind flayersIf I recall correctly, half-illithids tend to be made when non-humans are subject to a failed ceremorphosis.

Of course, given the illithids' history of time travel, halfies could be humans who are the mutated/evolving ancestors of the true illithids in the future.

Neither necessarily is a slave, though the former is more likely than the latter. And nothing says a slave must remain a slave. My namesake was the end result of an illithid breeding experiment, and he escaped slavery, after all. :smallwink:

John05
2019-08-17, 06:39 PM
Saint template from the Book of Exalted Deeds grants fast healing.

Trandir
2019-08-17, 06:53 PM
If I recall correctly, half-illithids tend to be made when non-humans are subject to a failed ceremorphosis.

Of course, given the illithids' history of time travel, halfies could be humans who are the mutated/evolving ancestors of the true illithids in the future.

Neither necessarily is a slave, though the former is more likely than the latter. And nothing says a slave must remain a slave. My namesake was the end result of an illithid breeding experiment, and he escaped slavery, after all. :smallwink:

To be fair in every mind flayer community the only one that could call himself free is the one that rules it. But this is beside the point of the thread. Probably is better to delete all of this posts and open a new one all about mind flayers, their society, the origin of the race and all the abomination that they have created and everything else

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-08-17, 07:07 PM
To be fair in every mind flayer community the only one that could call himself a slave is the one that rules it. But this is beside the point of the thread. Probably is better to delete all of this posts and open a new one all about mind flayers, their society, the origin of the race and all the abomination that they have created and everything elseOr we could just leave it and get back on topic.

JNAProductions
2019-08-17, 08:51 PM
I think it's called the Scrivener, but it's basically a Devilish torture device that grants bonuses based on how long you stay in it without flinching.

Necroticplague
2019-08-17, 09:32 PM
If we're adding templates:
1. Feral (Savage Species) gives scaling Fast Healing with level. LA +1, so not that hard to add either.

if not:
1. Eternal Wands (MIC) of Persistent Lesser Vigor give you Fast Healing 1 for 24 hours twice a day. Fairly affordable, to boot.

Saintheart
2019-08-17, 09:46 PM
The Corrupted template out of Book of Vile Darkness gives you fast healing somewhat proportional to your HD.

Trandir
2019-08-17, 10:17 PM
If we're adding templates:
1. Feral (Savage Species) gives scaling Fast Healing with level. LA +1, so not that hard to add either.

if not:
1. Eternal Wands (MIC) of Persistent Lesser Vigor give you Fast Healing 1 for 24 hours twice a day. Fairly affordable, to boot.
Well the templates are a great way to get fast healing up at all time but magic item that provide similar effects are welcome as well

The Corrupted template out of Book of Vile Darkness gives you fast healing somewhat proportional to your HD.

The Corrupted template from the book of vile darkness miss the LA so as far as I know a PC can't take it. But there is one in the Dragon #350 that has a LA +5. Grossly overpriced for what it does but still

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-18, 05:37 AM
Persistent Lesser Vigor is a 7th level spell and not eligible for being made into this item.

Unless you can add it for free somehow, in which case the game is going to have issues such that "Fast Healing 1" isn't really going to register.

OGDojo
2019-08-18, 06:54 AM

The LA +0 is to reflect what would happen in an usual game, and the illithid savant comes with the mindflayer race so an ECL of 16 at level 1

the way i always do it is the "Shadow Creature Template" it gives you full concealement in anything but full daylight but also some cool abilities every 4 HD fast healing 2 is one of them. its also in the "Lords Of Madness" Book :)
heres a link:
https://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/shadowcreature.shtml

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-18, 07:20 AM
the way i always do it is the "Shadow Creature Template" it gives you full concealement in anything but full daylight but also some cool abilities every 4 HD fast healing 2 is one of them. its also in the "Lords Of Madness" Book :)
heres a link:
https://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/shadowcreature.shtml

That's the Dark Creature template, a similar but less powerful template.

Shadow Creature template is also LA+2, which is pretty hefty, and makes you extraplanar, which can cause problems.

Necroticplague
2019-08-18, 07:51 AM
Persistent Lesser Vigor is a 7th level spell and not eligible for being made into this item.

Unless you can add it for free somehow, in which case the game is going to have issues such that "Fast Healing 1" isn't really going to register.

No, it’s not. It’s a first level spell that uses a 7th level slot to cast.

Spells modified by a metamagic feat use a spell slot higher than normal. This does not change the level of the spell...In all ways, a metamagic spell operates at its original spell level,...

OGDojo
2019-08-18, 07:57 AM
That's the Dark Creature template, a similar but less powerful template.

Shadow Creature template is also LA+2, which is pretty hefty, and makes you extraplanar, which can cause problems.

no the spoiler and everything i linked and talked about is Shadow Creature, not dark creature

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-18, 08:09 AM
no the spoiler and everything i linked and talked about is Shadow Creature, not dark creature

Yeah you're right, sorry, mixup on my end.

Trandir
2019-08-18, 09:36 AM

Yeah you're right, sorry, mixup on my end.

Well both qualify for this thread so maybe it's even better that we got this little mishap. Also since there are so many templates that add fast healing i have looked and found quite a lot but I am sure that I have missed some.

Also how does one make a list and those pop ups? I am still new in the playground

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-08-18, 09:48 AM
Well both qualify for this thread so maybe it's even better that we got this little mishap. Also since there are so many templates that add fast healing i have looked and found quite a lot but I am sure that I have missed some.

Also how does one make a list and those pop ups? I am still new in the playground[ list ]
[ * ]Point the first
[ * ]Point the second
[ * ]Etc
[ /list ]

and

[ spoiler ]Spoiler text[ /spoiler ]

Just take out the spaces within the brackets.

Glimbur
2019-08-18, 10:03 AM
There'a a relic in magic item compendium that gives fast healing in light. It's armor, I forget which good god. Probably not worth the cost, item slot, and feat or spell slot but it exists.

Malphegor
2019-08-18, 10:10 AM
From memory wasn’t there a Combat Focus descended feat, Combat Vigour in PHB2? Gives you fast healing X where X is the number of Combat Focus-related feats you have.

Little bit goofy, you have to be in combat to heal, but that’s
manageable by nonlethal sparring with allies I guess.

Maybe think of it as a kind of adrenaline-induced healing factor?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-08-18, 10:26 AM
Would vampiric healing work? Because there's a martial stance, a vampiric weapon special quality, and a couple of psionic powers, at least. Get enough attacks in one round and you can keep yourself topped off at all times.

Trandir
2019-08-18, 10:36 AM
[ list ]
[ * ]Point the first
[ * ]Point the second
[ * ]Etc
[ /list ]

and

[ spoiler ]Spoiler text[ /spoiler ]

Just take out the spaces within the brackets.

Thank you, now I can write without making everybody's eye bleed

From memory wasn’t there a Combat Focus descended feat, Combat Vigour in PHB2? Gives you fast healing X where X is the number of Combat Focus-related feats you have.

Little bit goofy, you have to be in combat to heal, but that’s
manageable by nonlethal sparring with allies I guess.

Maybe think of it as a kind of adrenaline-induced healing factor?

Yes there is and it is on the situational fast healing

Would vampiric healing work? Because there's a martial stance, a vampiric weapon special quality, and a couple of psionic powers, at least. Get enough attacks in one round and you can keep yourself topped off at all times.

Not exactly. While having a vampiric healing and fighting works similarly to having fast healing or regeneration this thread looks for the options that grants them as Su or Ex quality at all time if possible

AnimeTheCat
2019-08-18, 11:10 AM
There'a a relic in magic item compendium that gives fast healing in light. It's armor, I forget which good god. Probably not worth the cost, item slot, and feat or spell slot but it exists.

If you combine that with nimbus of light, you always have fast healing

ZamielVanWeber
2019-08-18, 11:15 AM
The armor itself is capable of shedding light (30% chance) at which point it just gives fast healing.

Ramza00
2019-08-18, 12:04 PM

It is superb armor. For 8,150 GP (and Chaotic Good, Neutral Good, or Chaotic Neutral alignment) it is a
+1 Magic Armor
+5 AC Bonus (before the +1 from Magic Armor)
Max Dex of +8
Armor Check Penalty of -2
Arcane Spell Failure of 15%

Relic Power: If you have established the proper divine connection, a suit of millennial
chainmail painlessly extends tiny green roots into your skin when you don it. This effect grants you fast healing 3 as long as you are in brighter than shadowy illumination.

To use the relic power, you must worship Corellon Larethian and either sacrifice a 4th-level divine spell slot or have the True Believer feat and at least 7 HD.

So you need a True Believer Feat and an Armor that makes sense for 8k anyway. Remember True Believer can be taken at any time even if the benefits of this feat with the relic activation does not happen till 7th HD. (For True Believer gives you a +2 to any save once a day besides the relic power. Aka it is a one a day iron will / great fortitude / or lightning reflexes.)

Here is the art for it in the MiC.

https://holiviantales.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/mithral-chain.png?w=300

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-18, 12:20 PM

No, I don't think Dark Creature can give Fast Healing. Shadow Creature can, if you select that ability. (I played a Dark Creature Shadowcaster once. What a mistake - but but that's the fault of the Shadowcaster...)

Trandir
2019-08-18, 12:52 PM
No, I don't think Dark Creature can give Fast Healing. Shadow Creature can, if you select that ability. (I played a Dark Creature Shadowcaster once. What a mistake - but but that's the fault of the Shadowcaster...)
My bad you are right I am going to correct that immediately

ShurikVch
2019-08-18, 01:20 PM
Just as the title ask.

How can you, a human or other LA +0 race adventurer, get one or both active 24/7?

Fast healing:

The Evolved Undead template (Libris Mortis)
The Saint template (Book of Exalted Deeds)
The Feral template (Savage Species)
The Corrupted template (Dragon #350)
The Shadow Creature template (Lords of Madness)
The Vivacious creature template ( Planar Handbook)
The Hald-Troll template (Fiend Folio)
The Vampire template (Monster Manual)
The Animus template (Dragon #339)
The Radiant creature template (Dragon #321)
The Savage Vampire template (Dragon #348)
The Shadow Vampire template (Dragon #348)
The Terror Vampire template (Dragon #348)
Also: Anarchic Creature (1 - 5 hp - depending on HD number; LA: +5; Planar Handbook), Curst (1 hp; LA: +3; Lost Empires of Faerûn), Greenbound Creature (3 hp; LA: +8; Lost Empires of Faerûn), and Unholy Scion (4 hp; LA: +5; Heroes of Horror).

Here are some options that are not suited for most games. It either requires a high LA race or are thenselves a high LA race:
The Troll race (Monster Manual)Tree Troll (Dragon #299): 2 HD and LA: +3

The Good Archdragon template (Dragon #321), you need to be a true dragon to take this one and as far as I know all true dragons have LA higher than +1Deshada Dragon (Dangerous Denizens: The Monsters of Tellene): Wyrmling is exactly LA: +1 (and just 1 racial HD)

Trandir
2019-08-18, 02:23 PM
Also: Anarchic Creature (1 - 5 hp - depending on HD number; LA: +5; Planar Handbook), Curst (1 hp; LA: +3; Lost Empires of Faerûn), Greenbound Creature (3 hp; LA: +8; Lost Empires of Faerûn), and Unholy Scion (4 hp; LA: +5; Heroes of Horror).

Tree Troll (Dragon #299): 2 HD and LA: +3

Deshada Dragon (Dangerous Denizens: The Monsters of Tellene): Wyrmling is exactly LA: +1 (and just 1 racial HD)

Wow those are a lot of templates, races that I did't even knew. Thank you for the help I am going to add them immediately. Also that type of dragon naturally develops fast healing once it gets old enough.

Allanimal
2019-08-18, 04:19 PM

The vigor line of spells are cleric/Druid only. Eternal wands can only hold arcane spells by RAW.

Trandir
2019-08-18, 06:18 PM
The vigor line of spells are cleric/Druid only. Eternal wands can only hold arcane spells by RAW.

My bad that is true. A little weird but true i am going to correct it

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-08-18, 07:02 PM
There are several ways to turn divine spells into arcane spells, including but not limited to Southern Magician, wyrm wizard, and spellcasting true dragons. Have a dragon make you a wand, and voila.

Ramza00
2019-08-18, 07:09 PM

True but remember Eternal Wands are just the Craft Wondrous Item guidelines of the Spell Level * Caster Level * 1800 + 100 GP for a fancy wand.

Arcane Spells only was chosen due to setting flavor reasons for Eternal Wands were originally Eberron only and making divine spells that are centered around magic items instead of divine origin is a flavor decision the setting made, a value decision of that setting. The value decision is only arcane magic should be able to turn into "technology" where it is so replicable without the use of PCs and NPCs and turned into "objects" that magic items are.

Eberron a setting with lots of low magic that is common place, but high magic is rare. A place with noir themes and magic trains.

Necroticplague
2019-08-19, 03:28 PM

A cleric or druid with the right feats can cast them as arcane spells, so that’s not any kind of contradiction.

ShurikVch
2019-08-19, 03:54 PM
Some more templates:

Monster of Legend (Monster Manual II) LA +7

Unkillable Zombie (Libris Mortis) - ECL for "standard" Zombie was printed in Dragon #293 (ECL 5 - thus, LA +3)

Half-Golem (Monster Manual II), Stained Glass - Monster Manual II Web Enhancement (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/files/MM2_HalfGolems.zip) allow to become a Half-Golem without turning into Evil monster

Favored Spawn of Kyuss (Dragon #336) - no LA listed, thus - "LA +0"; the problem there is to actually roleplay it... :smallyuk:

AnimeTheCat
2019-08-19, 04:23 PM
Favored Spawn of Kyuss (Dragon #336) - no LA listed, thus - "LA +0"; the problem there is to actually roleplay it... :smallyuk:

I thought no listed LA meant it wasn't playable by players, only for the DM to use. Not trying to contradict you, just looking for clarification.

ShurikVch
2019-08-19, 04:35 PM
I thought no listed LA meant it wasn't playable by players, only for the DM to use. Not trying to contradict you, just looking for clarification.It's absolutely correct - if we talking a bout a "base creature";
but Template is a set of changes applied to some preexisting creature - thus, if something isn't listed, it wouldn't be changed;
otherwise, most of templated creatures would be:
Immobile - no speed listed;
Incapable to attack - no attacks listed;
Weightless - no weight listed;
Invisible - no appearance listed;
Completely amoral - no Alignment listed;
Nonexistent - no Environment or Organization listed.

Korwin
2019-08-19, 04:36 PM
Warshaper 4 (Complete Warrior)
An changeling with hab +4 qualifies.
Non shapechanger have an harder time qualifying...