PDA

View Full Version : Optimization New Class Challenge! (Shadowcaster)

OGDojo
2019-08-18, 06:23 AM
alright nerds (respectfully cuz thats what we are), i am here with a challenge

Class: Shadowcaster from D&D 3.5 from the ToM (Tome Of Magic) book. from level 1-20 i would like to see how you all would build this class.
perhaps some will focus on its stealth abilities, or maybe its skills.
here are the rules!

1. you can use ANY book from the 3.5 and Pathfinder Books
2. your stats will be rolled by rolling 5d6 reroll 1s and 2s (thats standard for my campaigns)
3. Crafting and Scroll Writing works as in pathfinder but everything else functions as if in the D&D world
4. To avoid confusion,
Stealth = Hide and Move Silently
Acrobatics = Climb, Balance, and Jump
and so on... basically anything that applies to 1 skill in pathfinder it applies to the corrosponding skills in D&D
5. tables are not required but the skills/feats and abilites must be seperated by level so that its legible.
6. this is a "For Fun" challenge, no berating or calling names if someone does something that you wouldnt do or think is stupid,
either ignore them or learn from them.
7. roleplay aspects are fun so if you want you can include a back story/personality/description of your newly
formed character or a picture if you can find/make one thats close enough.
8. this will hopefully become a weekly/monthly thing depending on responses.
9. i understand that its hard to have an idea form in your head and not immediately have a fountain of ideas come pouring onto the page but please
try to follow some sort of level system,
10. im asking you to BUILD a character from level 1-20 and post it. you can use google sheets and link it or you can use the table option and post it here or just number the lines where your levels are so we can look at it in awe.

Have fun building, ill be making my own and we can all nerd out together!!:cool:

Kalkra
2019-08-18, 09:32 AM
Do mysteries work like spells for crafting? Like, can you make a wand or WI of a mystery?

Mato
2019-08-18, 10:46 PM
Do mysteries work like spells for crafting? Like, can you make a wand or WI of a mystery?Yes you can. :smallsmile:

But there is no overlap. The creation of mystery based spell completion/trigger items requires a mystery, not a close-enough spell (through limited wish should count imo). Also shadowcaster has to UMD spell-based items and a wizard has to UMD mystery-based items. And such items always function as if the mystery is a spell rather than SLA/Su. No direct notation mentions if you can apply meta-feat to them through.

The shadow evocations are nice. Often overlooked but it's an even trade unlike the spell versions, like the 4th level one lets you pick any evocation below 5th level (aka any 4th).

Kalkra
2019-08-19, 12:08 AM
Well, I have no ranks craft(optimized builds), but as I understand it, Shadowcasters can benifit from any PrC that Warlocks could, right?

If so, it seems to me that Thrall of Fraz-Urb'luu works with Shadowcaster, although you'll probably need a DM ruling on the Bonus Illusion thing. So, free wishes, yay. I'm looking for any other unusual PrCs that advance casting without specifying a type (arcane or divine).

ShurikVch
2019-08-19, 09:54 AM

Class: Shadowcaster from D&D 3.5 from the ToM (Tome Of Magic) book.Does it include the fix by Mouseferatu (https://www.enworld.org/threads/shadowcaster-fixes-by-mouseferatu.184955/)?

Mato
2019-08-19, 10:05 AM

Class: Shadowcaster from D&D 3.5 from the ToM (Tome Of Magic) book.
Does it include the fix by Mouseferatu (https://www.enworld.org/threads/shadowcaster-fixes-by-mouseferatu.184955/)?I feel like your question was already answered.

Kalkra
2019-08-19, 11:33 AM
Shadowcaster 5/Paragnostic Apostle 2/Thrall of Fraz-Urb'luu 10/PA +3 seems pretty good. It's by no means the most powerful thing in existence, and admittedly ToFU does all the heavy lifting, but you get 17/20 casting, at level 12 you can use staves to cast any spell you want, and at level 17 you get free wishes.

If you want to go the obvious way, you can also do Ur-Priest and MT. Shadowcasters are also the poster children for Vow of Peace, so you could go into Apostle of Peace instead of Ur-Priest.

Also, within the realm of total cheese, if you could research War versions of mysteries you could break the game in half (more so than normal with War Spells).

OGDojo
2019-08-22, 01:39 AM
Does it include the fix by Mouseferatu (https://www.enworld.org/threads/shadowcaster-fixes-by-mouseferatu.184955/)?

if i remember right the fix was that the mysteries aren't limited to specific paths anymore meaning as long as you have 4 mysteries you can take the next level higher (I think) it makes it easier to combo your mysteries to give you the character you want and makes it so the class isnt so underpowered.

In short, yes we will use the fix by mouseferatu cuz i believe he is a Wizards of the Coast worker and it is a sanctioned fix by wizards.