PDA

View Full Version : It's Alive!....It's Alive!!

silentknight
2007-10-11, 08:47 PM
Well, to get to the point, I am running a high level campaign and I realized that the party is going to quickly churn through the monsters I have populating a fortress. So, I decided to throw in some more critters to help the adventure last a little longer. One that I like (even though they won't last long against the party) are Living Spells. I thought a particularly viscious combo was Reverse Gravity and Blade Barrier as a single Spell. (It slices, it dices, and there isn't a whole heck of a lot you can do about it once you fail your save!)

To clarify the abilities of the Living spells, my question:
If the spell allows a save, do creatures that are engulfed by the Spell need to make a new save each round they remain within the Spell? Or do they make one the first round they are engulfed, and that's it until they become engulfed again?

The template didn't seem clear on this point, so I just thought I would ask.

Starsinger
2007-10-11, 08:58 PM
Well, to get to the point, I am running a high level campaign and I realized that the party is going to quickly churn through the monsters I have populating a fortress. So, I decided to throw in some more critters to help the adventure last a little longer. One that I like (even though they won't last long against the party) are Living Spells. I thought a particularly viscious combo was Reverse Gravity and Blade Barrier as a single Spell. (It slices, it dices, and there isn't a whole heck of a lot you can do about it once you fail your save!)

To clarify the abilities of the Living spells, my question:
If the spell allows a save, do creatures that are engulfed by the Spell need to make a new save each round they remain within the Spell? Or do they make one the first round they are engulfed, and that's it until they become engulfed again?

The template didn't seem clear on this point, so I just thought I would ask.

I don't have my eberron campaign setting with me, having leant it to my friend.. but if you're up for suggestions, living Dispel magic/Greater dispel/Mordenkainen's Disjunction is also particularly vicious.. As is living Wail of the Banshee and Living Forcecage.

silentknight
2007-10-11, 09:08 PM
Yeah, sure, suggest away! I like the living Dispel Magic coupled with a normal but tough baddie to take advantage of their weaken condition!

Yeygresh
2007-10-11, 09:20 PM
Link to Living Spells rules (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ls/20061002a)

Living Reverse Gravity. Have the player hit the ceiling for falling damage, and then have a Dimension Door trap on the ceiling to port them back to the LRG.

:D

EDIT: Or, you could actually have a second LRG on the ceiling, thus giving it an AoO Reverse Gravity. Then give them Combat Reflexes and...

triforcel
2007-10-11, 10:10 PM
Engulfed creatures are subject to the full normal effect of the spell(s) each round on the living spell's turn,

So every time the living spell's turn came around the engulfed character would need to make the appropriate save or fall under the effect of the spell.

So with your Reverse Gravity+Blade Barrier, the character would perpetually be floating in the air without some method of flight or teleportation, and would have to save each round to reduce/avoid the blade barrier damage.

leperkhaun
2007-10-11, 11:32 PM
living spells are fun, dispel magic is one of the nice ones. living prismatic anything or cloudkill are good choices.

anyway, depending on the level of the party, iv found that playing the bad guys inteligently and using strategy often can make an encounter much more difficult.

A more...extreme example would be that kobold haven...dont have a link to it.