PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Leadership Modifiers.

Yogibear41
2019-08-18, 03:21 PM
The DMG presents several modifiers to a character's leadership score such as +2 for great renown, and -2 for Cruelty.

I was wondering if there were any alternative modifiers to this list anywhere for say an evil or savage leader. For example say I have a CE Orc or other savage humanoid looking to create his Orcish Horde, etc. in this case Cruelty could be seen as a boon not a hindrance. Was just curious if such rules existed anywhere.

torrasque666
2019-08-18, 03:27 PM
Think about it. Cruelty would never motivate someone to work under someone else. It could force someone, but it wouldn't motivate​ them to join of their own free will.

Covenant12
2019-08-18, 04:07 PM
For what you are directly asking for I believe there isn't such a rule. Cruel, evil leaders tend to be mechanically less effective.

There are specific orc feats and prestige classes that can buff leadership a lot. But I'm confident cruelty still hurts and great renown still helps. They can just get bonuses to counteract cruelty penalty.

Albions_Angel
2019-08-18, 04:30 PM
So I think there are a couple of things here.

The first is, Cruelty as a negative modifier probably applies to cruelty to you OWN people. As others have said, that doesnt inspire people to come and find you to be part of your army, most of the time. Ruthlessness with your enemies is probably covered by Renown. If the culture of a certain people values cruelty towards you enemies, you will gain Renown for being like that.

The second is, D&D was never designed to replicate the rather more grim-dark setting of Warhammer. In Warhammer the orcs do inspire their followers by literally beating them up. But there isnt a comparison with D&D orcs. They are two different entities that share a common name. Its also worth noting that in WH and similar works, creatures like the Orcs are often joke races.

If you want a ruthless leader, call it renown. If you want a sadistic leader of a masochistic race, it has to be homebrew.

Yogibear41
2019-08-18, 05:31 PM
Yeah I envision him as more of a do good get rewarded do poor get punished kind of guy. Not just a cruel for cruelty's sake kind of guy.

Biggus
2019-08-19, 12:17 AM
I think it's fair to say that Orcs would have a greater tolerance for violent and ruthless leaders than the more civilised races, and in fact a leader who was seen as too soft would lose respect; but one who was considered cruel (to his followers) compared to other Orc leaders would still be less likely to attract them. Likewise what would win you great renown would vary somewhat from race to race but achieiving it would always attract followers to you.

Berenger
2019-08-19, 05:20 PM
Vile Leadership from Pathfinder does exactly this.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/vile-leadership/

DarkSoul
2019-08-20, 09:45 AM
Look up the orc warlord prestige class, from either Races of Faerun or Silver Marches. There's also a feat called Might Makes Right that lets you apply your Strength modifier to Leadership. I don't remember if it's instead of, or in addition to, Charisma though.

Thurbane
2019-08-20, 04:56 PM
Maybe not directly related, Heroes of Battle has some Leadership related feats. Each feat with the Leader tag improves leadership by +1, in addition to other benefits.
Ecclesiarch (ECS) gives +2 to leadership.
Great Diplomat (OA) gives +2 to leadership.
Rulership (PoF) gives +4 to leadership.