PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Improvements to Pathfinder 2nd Edition – Here’s Why It’s Worth Returning to Gol

hboyce1
2019-08-18, 06:02 PM
Paizo Publishing, the creative minds behind the Pathfinder role-playing game, has done it again. This time around, the publishing titan has released a new edition for Pathfinder players to enjoy.
Of course, a lot has changed within Pathfinder 2nd Edition. Rather it’s the core goblin race or the revamped paladin class that has snagged your eye, Paizo has found a way to nearly guarantee that there is some kind of change in the new edition for every veteran player to get excited about.
Without further delay, here is a list of the top five changes within Pathfinder 2nd Edition that are worth getting excited over.

Check it out here: https://www.gametruth.com/guides/top-5-improvements-to-pathfinder-2nd-edition-heres-why-its-worth-returning-to-golarion/

Faily
2019-08-20, 12:38 PM
Or the top 5 list of things to not be excited about because it's not what you wanted from a new edition.

*shrugs*

Particle_Man
2019-08-20, 12:49 PM
Interesting that they note that you will only be picking one or two feats per levels and different types of feats at different times, so you don’t have to deal with hundreds of feats. Is the design philosophy against planning your character out too much ahead of time (and certainly not 1 - 20 at chargen) and instead encouraging a “live in the moment “ and “go with the flow” style of character advancement?

LibraryOgre
2019-08-20, 01:38 PM
The Mod Ogre: Top Five Reason to Not be Excited you have to move this post to the correct forum.

Kurald Galain
2019-08-20, 02:39 PM
TLDR version:

There are skill feats now! Paladins have been renamed, and can now tank or deal damage or support! Allegedly, P1 keeps getting more different actions every year (after standard/move/swift). I hadn't noticed. But not any more! Different kinds of feats! Goblins!

I mean, I appreciate the enthousiasm, but that article is just not very well researched :smallamused:

NomGarret
2019-08-20, 04:06 PM
Interesting that they note that you will only be picking one or two feats per levels and different types of feats at different times, so you don’t have to deal with hundreds of feats. Is the design philosophy against planning your character out too much ahead of time (and certainly not 1 - 20 at chargen) and instead encouraging a “live in the moment “ and “go with the flow” style of character advancement?

If that’s the goal, there’s an awful lot of prerequisites in those higher level feats that will make you wish you’d planned ahead.

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-20, 07:11 PM
I don't know much about PF, but the OP reads very much like advertising. Which, given it's unsolicited... is spam?

Ignimortis
2019-08-21, 12:06 AM
Got through the CRB of PF2e. Unimpressed. All the new editions keep shifting away from what I want, so it's easier to use 3.PF instead of either D&D 5e or PF2e, even if PF2e gets a lot more content down the line, as it probably will.

But fine, here we go.

1) Skill feats - mostly old 3.PF feats that should be part of the skill anyway instead of being a tax. For instance, there's a "Foil Senses" feat that allows you to sneak through special senses. Darkstalker much? Why is it not just a property of, say, expert Stealth?

Also, the skill feats for high levels are usually underwhelming. Level 20 Rogue being able to steal someone's weapon or armor off them? Cool, I've done that in Skyrim, and it's a fun ability. For level 10 or 12 maybe. Level 20? Why aren't Rogues stealing souls or luck or love by that point?

2) Paladins got rebranded. Woo. No tenets for non-good paladins/champions, though. What's the point then?

3) Action system got changed from Standard-Move-Swift-Immediate-Free to three nondescript actions. Might as well as made them action points, then, go the whole way. But I don't see how that's much of an improvement. D&D 5e's rebranding of those same actions works better.

4) Revised feats. Feats are still bad, and somehow I'm complimenting 5e's design for the second time in one post. I don't even like 5e, but those parts are better designed than PF2e...

5) Goblins? Wow, goblins. Do I care? No.

PF2e doesn't do much right, and about the only worthwhile thing I see for backporting is MAYBE success ranges for spells to avoid save-or-die situations.

Buufreak
2019-08-21, 12:10 AM
I don't know much about PF, but the OP reads very much like advertising. Which, given it's unsolicited... is spam?

Spam? From a pixie who literally only has posts about trying to build up other product launches?

Get outta here!

Elkad
2019-08-21, 11:03 AM
Did they text-to-speech that whole article without using even a basic grammar checker?

"Second addition" is especially terrible.