PDA

View Full Version : Ancient technique style feats

stewstew5
2019-08-18, 10:32 PM
What feats are there that exemplify mastery over subtle forces in the world that aren’t spells? I’m playing a high-dex, high-con, ten int, low everything else fighter (so fighter bonus feats are welcome) who was trained by four different masters in different techniques which he practiced and will perfect on his journey. I’m thinking things like hamon(jjba), bending techniques (at:la) and the sort

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-08-18, 10:33 PM
Looks like you want to take levels of Warblade or Swordsage.

stewstew5
2019-08-18, 10:44 PM
Looks like you want to take levels of Warblade or Swordsage.

They’ve come up a couple times, I have the martial studies feat on standby

Particle_Man
2019-08-18, 10:56 PM
Arguably a shape soulmeld, perhaps from the list of the totemist. It has a sort of pre-spell sort of magic feel and runs off con.

stewstew5
2019-08-18, 11:03 PM
Arguably a shape soulmeld, perhaps from the list of the totemist. It has a sort of pre-spell sort of magic feel and runs off con.

What source book is this from? Sounds interesting

Particle_Man
2019-08-18, 11:39 PM
Magic of Incarnum. The magic in question is borrowing souls (of the dead or the not yet born) to power up your soulmelds (or feats, or whatever) with essentia, which can often be reallocated from round to round.

But unless you are taking class level in totemist or incarnate, don't worry too much about that. Shape Soulmeld is basically a way to get a cool low level magic "item" that doesn't take up a magic item slot. Blink shirt is popular (hey, low level short range teleportation has many uses!). Planar Ward is explicitly thought in the text to be the original form of protection from magic control (a la charms/compulsions/vampires/etc.), and indeed, to be the first soulmeld.

Thurbane
2019-08-19, 12:35 AM
Not sure if they fit flavour-wise, but there's also the Binding feats in ToM (Bind Vestige, Improved Bind Vestige and Practiced Binder).

ShurikVch
2019-08-22, 12:44 PM
Not a feat, but abilities of Jaunter PrC (Expedition to the Demonweb Pits) are Dex-based...

liquidformat
2019-08-22, 12:54 PM
weapon finesse, Martial study for a shadowhand maneuver, matrial stance for shadowhand stance, and shadow blade to get dex to melee damage or just a level or 2 of swordsage + shadowblade...

AnimeTheCat
2019-08-22, 01:27 PM
I'm going to second Magic of Incarnum. The whole idea behind it screams "Stands" to me. Aside from actual spellcasting, I feel like it's probably the closest you'll get. I would even suggest leveling in Incarnate or Totemist after level 4 or so of fighter.

Silvercrys
2019-08-22, 02:55 PM
There's not really a ton for Fighters.

You might see if you can take the Hit and Run Tactics Fighter alternate class feature from Drow of the Underdark (Page 58). It replaces your heavy armor with a small Initiative bonus and a bonus to damage equal to your Dex modifier when you deal damage to a flat-footed enemy. Since you have a high Dex you probably aren't using heavy armor anyway.

Martial Study is good, but you won't be able to recover the maneuvers without levels in an initiating class like Warblade or Swordsage.

Complete Champion has an alternate class feature where you can lose your Will Save bonus and add it to your AC as an immediate action. Replaces a bonus feat so it's kind of like one of those. Page 48 if the reference I found is correct.

Your Int is 10 or I would recommend Knowledge Devotion, maybe.

Dragon 310 has a few Variant Fighters that can get some abilities in place of bonus feats, if Dragon content is allowed at your table.

Dex fighter is hard in 3.5 without doing the whole Spiked Chain Trip build thing.