PDA

View Full Version : We interrupt your regularly scheduled D&D content to bring you an important bulletin.

Phhase
2019-08-18, 11:57 PM
A truly mad man has concocted a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure TTRPG system. That's right. Stands are coming to the table, baby! It's still in development, but is very playable as is. Not only that, but the creator is currently running a VERY entertaining campaign using the system with over 24 hours of awesomeness in the stream codec, and still running (Though currently on hiatus).
The most recent edition of the system can be found here. (https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/528362834581520394/529478200976211968/Jojos_Bizarre_Tabletop_1_3.pdf) If you want to watch the campaign, named Carbon Interface (and I VERY much recommend it, even if you're not into Jojo, the campaign has innumerable gold moments and genuinely heart-rending scenes), go here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dznv2MEkJz4&list=PLIO5L7W1uDs0JXiYjjkT1WN3a4brAuadV&index=1), crack open a cold one, and prepare for the ride. You won't regret it.

Um .. who is Jojo?!

For the uninitiated:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is a critically acclaimed manga and anime series. The main character is always someone from an in-universe family line called the Joestars, and has the nickname Jojo (hence the title). The main gimmick is that the main characters and villains have something called a Stand. In a shellnut, a Stand is a Pokemon that is also your soul. They take many forms and often have esoteric and complex powers that the characters apply in creative and mind-bending ways to win fights.

The series is known for its vibrant and highly distinctive art style, truly bizarre fights, and trademark 110% overdrive bombast rating. It's no slouch in the story department either though, and each season has it's own cast of lovable and loathsome characters.

Kaptin Keen
2019-08-19, 12:07 AM
Um .. who is Jojo?!

StevenC21
2019-08-19, 02:10 AM
I find this distasteful, personally.

Scripten
2019-08-19, 09:52 AM
I find this distasteful, personally.

How so? (Asking in good faith - I honestly don't know.)

Willie the Duck
2019-08-19, 11:29 AM

Well, OP decided to make the thread title not explain remotely what the subject of the thread actually was, making it seem like a clickbait link. Then we get what seems like an advertisement. If the OP here is any way financially tied to this, I'm not looking favorably on these tactics. As to the system, I can't follow the link, can anyone else see if this is a licensed game or someone's homebrew or something?

Karl Aegis
2019-08-19, 11:41 AM
If you encounter a Stand named after a Westley Willis song, you run. "I Whupped Batman's Ass" and "I Whupped Spiderman's Ass" in particular will probably be extremely tough.

Phhase
2019-08-19, 12:22 PM
If the OP here is any way financially tied to this, I'm not looking favorably on these tactics. As to the system, I can't follow the link, can anyone else see if this is a licensed game or someone's homebrew or something?

No {scrubbed} or clickbait, I'm just naturally verbose and genuinely exited. Sorry if it seemed like a sales pitch, it's not. No money involved, it's homebrew. I guess it might go in the other thread but I dunno because it's an original system and I'm pretty sure this branch isn't just for WOTC products.

What's wrong with the link? It downloads the pdf when I click it. You can also go to the current version discord here (https://discordapp.com/channels/409941033326084108/528362834581520394) if the doesn't work.

Alcore
2019-08-19, 12:50 PM

I once watched an episode; the whole thing is a bizarre crack vision journey where by the end you wonder what drug combination they were presently smoking. It's an "Adult Swim" level of stupidity and random nonsense. Could it work? Yes it can. Did it work? Not to me it didn't. It seems to be a comedy and those tend to fail for me but i can get the joke; i just simply did not find it funny.

I felt i had to make an insanity check every few minutes.

StevenC21
2019-08-19, 02:20 PM
Others have properly expressed my views.

Phhase
2019-08-19, 02:24 PM
crack journey presently smoking"Adult Swim" level comedy joke insanity check every few minutes.

Yeah that's fair. For anyone wondering about the campaign, there is comedy, but overall, it's more gritty, like The Dresden Files, in fact.

Rynjin
2019-08-19, 06:56 PM
I once watched an episode; the whole thing is a bizarre crack vision journey where by the end you wonder what drug combination they were presently smoking. It's an "Adult Swim" level of stupidity and random nonsense. Could it work? Yes it can. Did it work? Not to me it didn't. It seems to be a comedy and those tend to fail for me but i can get the joke; i just simply did not find it funny.

Huh?

I could get this if you maybe watched an episode clip out of context, but nothing in JoJo's is really much more absurd than any other action series with super powers.

It's not a comedy at all (and many parts are generally fairly dark and/or sad; Araki is NOT afraid to show the darker side of humanity or to kill off his characters), though there are comedic elements. The first four parts in particular are pretty tame, it's only part 5 (the most recent one in the anime) that is particularly stupid, mostly due to how inconsistent Giorno's powerset is and how low stakes the entire plot is when you lay it out.

Most things are internally consistent and logically follow from previous events. Yeah, "Man uses the power of sunlight karate and help from his Nazi Cyborg friend to fight Aztec super-vampires" sounds absurd on its face, but makes sense when you follow the chain of events from the start of part 2, for example, in the same way "College kid fights a man who thinks he's a Rhinoceros because a radioactive spider bit him" sounds stupid out of context.

Galithar
2019-08-19, 07:17 PM
Most things are internally consistent and logically follow from previous events. Yeah, "Man uses the power of sunlight karate and help from his Nazi Cyborg friend to fight Aztec super-vampires" sounds absurd on its face, but makes sense when you follow the chain of events from the start of part 2, for example, in the same way "College kid fights a man who thinks he's a Rhinoceros because a radioactive spider bit him" sounds stupid out of context.

In defense of his opinion, some people find Spiderman to be kind of stupid in context too. Not trying to start an argument here, especially since I'm actually in agreement with you for the most part. Just wanted to point out that some people could find it stupid/silly/ridiculous/unenjoyable even when I'm perfect context.

Good example for me is I love Marvel movies, but cannot enjoy anything from DC. I hate Batman with an unnatural fury and no matter how much the world is internally consistent I have only ever enjoyed a single Batman movie (The Dark Knight for those that may be curious).

Brookshw
2019-08-19, 07:24 PM

I watched a good chunk more, most of the first season I think. Couldn't get into it, the dialogue, accents and the way the character's narrate/describe each other grated. Premise had promise but the execution bothered me. Not sure if latter seasons are an improvement.

Rynjin
2019-08-19, 07:44 PM
I watched a good chunk more, most of the first season I think. Couldn't get into it, the dialogue, accents and the way the character's narrate/describe each other grated. Premise had promise but the execution bothered me. Not sure if latter seasons are an improvement.

Generally speaking part 1 (the first 8 episodes) is the weakest part besides part 5 (the most recently ended anime part). Part 2 is one of my favorites, part 3 changes the ENTIRE paradigm (it introduces Stands as the new power source instead of Hamon), and Part 4 is AMAZING.

Each part is also largely standalone, particularly form part 4 onward.

Phhase
2019-08-19, 07:55 PM
dialogue, accents

Subtitles, or dubbing? Personally, I prefer the former. And yes, as before, while S1 provides valuable story context for everything else, it is agreed that it is the weakest.

Brookshw
2019-08-19, 09:47 PM
Subtitles, or dubbing? Personally, I prefer the former. And yes, as before, while S1 provides valuable story context for everything else, it is agreed that it is the weakest.

Dubbing. And thank you (Rynjin as well), I may have to give latter seasons a try.

KillianHawkeye
2019-08-19, 09:56 PM
Please try to learn a little skill I call "Making thread titles that say what the thread is actually about", k? :smallsigh::smallannoyed:

Yora
2019-08-20, 02:54 AM
Technically, this is no worse than "Please help me" or "What do you think of this" as thread titles, and those are pretty common things.
Those are also terrible and need to e changed, but I am always too afraid to say anything.