PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Stoneform Chain - For restraining high escape risk detainees [3.5 Magic Item]

gooddragon1
2019-08-19, 05:36 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

rferries
2019-08-23, 05:15 AM
Nice. Just 2 comments - it might be hard to lug around a petrified prisoner, and I suggest using flesh to stone to calculate the price as it's cheaper (and you might even apply an additional discount given how niche the effect is).

Evil DM Mark3
2019-08-23, 09:37 AM
Nice idea, don't quite understand the price tag comment however, I mean yes certain magic items are likely to be looked down upon or be illegal, but that's more a DM call than something for the description.

Unless, of course, it is to prevent escaping criminals making bank. How about them having them need a key to unlock them if picking them open is a worry, or just go with rferries' advice.

gooddragon1
2019-08-24, 02:42 PM
Actually these are more of a DM item, but I wanted them to be accessible to players. The high cost was for easy story justification of why a prison wouldn't have multiples. Also, the polymorph any object is so that they work even on things not made of flesh and conceivably could "resize" to work on things without wrists. I'm not sure about most of that though and the point about reduction in price could work. I'll have to think more about the weight thing. I figured it would give "weight" to the situation :p, but yeah. Pricing is always a challenge.

Inchhighguy
2019-08-24, 07:10 PM
The item is just fine.

But if you want an item that will effect everything, you don't really want ''manacles". Manacles are for humanoids.

You'd want: a Stoneform Chain.

gooddragon1
2019-08-24, 08:19 PM
The item is just fine.

But if you want an item that will effect everything, you don't really want ''manacles". Manacles are for humanoids.

You'd want: a Stoneform Chain.

Needs to have a lock so it takes a little effort to remove. Maybe a transmutation to form one though... I'm liking it...

Inchhighguy
2019-08-24, 09:12 PM
Needs to have a lock so it takes a little effort to remove. Maybe a transmutation to form one though... I'm liking it...

Some chains do have built in locks.......

Maybe to keep the 'Earth' type make it Stoneform Exeiler, or Oil or Mud. Something that is poured on to a target and it expends and covers them and turns them to stone.

gooddragon1
2019-08-27, 02:07 AM
Some chains do have built in locks.......

Maybe to keep the 'Earth' type make it Stoneform Exeiler, or Oil or Mud. Something that is poured on to a target and it expends and covers them and turns them to stone.

Going with the chain idea. Figured out how to make it work I think. Edited original post. Admittedly, I don't know about pricing and other stuff. It's just the idea being available for now for those who want/need to use it.