PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Making a Duskblade "Hexblade"

Thurbane
2019-08-19, 05:37 PM
So, just a random though exercise: how would you build a Duskblade to emulate being a single-classed Hexblade?

So far I've picked out two feats: Netherese Battle Curse (LEoF) for a curse ability, and Fiendish Bloodline (Dragon Compendium) to allow access to casting Bestow Curse.

Also, Obtain Familiar seems obvious.

All thoughts welcome. Not for any real reason other than to see how people would approach this.

Cheers - T

EndlessKng
2019-08-19, 07:09 PM
What Hexblade 3.5 has to emulate:
-A few cantrips (or better) usable at will. (Already present)
-Armored casting (done, and better).
-Buff to spell saves.
-Mettle.
-Swift action spells. (Done, albeit differently I think).
-Hexes/curses (at least partly covered).
-Familiar (coverable with a feat).
-miss chance.
-optional: illusory companion that threatens squares for you.
-moodlighting.

Insane Defiance comes to mind for partial Mettle. You have a good Will save already, so you can get it by sixth level. It also fits a cursing theme, redirecting hostile mental attacks (possibly even against a foe).

Reserve feats come to mind - they have the potential to allow you at-will effects beyond cantrips. Downside is most require high level spells, so this isn't reliable. But, fiery burst is available pretty early, so it is an option. Not sure if any of the others that come early enough cover anything else, but may be worth a look.

No real way to replace the bonus feats without dipping into other classes. However, a dip isn't necessarily a bad idea. 13th Level gives the final upgrade to your Arcane Channelling AND your highest levels of spells. A level or two of Fighter can give extra feats, and of you're lawful the OA samurai gives Ancestral Daisho and a feat in two levels as well. You lose a few spell slots and upgrades to other abilities, but it isn't as costly as in most other casters. Consider a Martial Study feat as well, especially if you hit fighter pretty late and get a higher effective Initiator level.
EDIT: realized the chart I was looking at was messed up. It seems that they get their SECOND highest at 13th, and fifth at 17th. Still, that potentially leaves 3 open levels in a full build, more if you are okay with stopping early on casting as the Hexblade does.

Binder is a mid-BAB and may not be worth it, but it can provide added versatility and possibly make up for some feat loss as well. The Vestige Pact feat can also stand in if you have a lower level option you want You don't have a ton of skills, but you can boost it up a bit if you grab the improvement feat as well, and it only takes 8 skill points. The variety if vestiges most likely include a couple who can add some curses and other missing options or flavor.

Will think on the rest.

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-20, 12:47 AM
What Hexblade 3.5 has to emulate:
-A few cantrips (or better) usable at will. (Already present)
-Armored casting (done, and better).
-Buff to spell saves.
-Mettle.
-Swift action spells. (Done, albeit differently I think).
-Hexes/curses (at least partly covered).
-Familiar (coverable with a feat).
-miss chance.
-optional: illusory companion that threatens squares for you.
-moodlighting.

Hexblade doesn't have a class feature about swift action spells, are you referring to specific spells that have a swift action casting time? If so, probably worth saying which so it can be decided whether they're core to the Hb experience.

Hexblade doesn't have cantrips, whether usable at will or not. I can't see a class feature this could be referring to.

Back to the OP - I applaud what you're doing. I recently thought about making a replacement Hexblade build by doing Dread Necromancer and Spellsword. I think it works, but spell channeling even with Smiting Spell doesn't come online until halfway through.

Troacctid
2019-08-20, 01:27 AM
Back to the OP - I applaud what you're doing. I recently thought about making a replacement Hexblade build by doing Dread Necromancer and Spellsword. I think it works, but spell channeling even with Smiting Spell doesn't come online until halfway through.
On the other hand, hexblade never gets spell channeling at all, so it seems like you're still ahead there.

Yogibear41
2019-08-20, 02:12 AM
Hexblade doesn't have cantrips, whether usable at will or not. I can't see a class feature this could be referring to.

There was an article on wizard's website adressing "dead levels" the Hexblade ended up getting Prestidigitation at will if I remember correctly. That's probably what he is talking about.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x here.

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-20, 03:36 AM
Ok, yeah, thanks. That's prestidigitation (only) as an at-will spell-like ability... by level 18.

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-20, 03:46 AM
On the other hand, hexblade never gets spell channeling at all, so it seems like you're still ahead there.

No, that's true. Kind of my own twist on it I guess. The principle was that all the curses and dark magic would be easily supplied by the Dread Necromancer spellcasting.

The build I had was something like Human Paragon 1/Dread Necromancer 2/Human Paragon +2/Fighter 1/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Spellsword +8.

That was BAB +18 by 20, Dread Necromancer casting to level 14, all the Abjurant Champion stuff, and Channel Spell 5/day. 4 bonus feats with only one needed for a prerequisite.

I purposely aimed for better BAB and fighting, and was willing to sacrifice caster levels, because Dread Necromancer high level spells are kind of limited anyway and I felt it appropriate for a Hexblade-alike.

Channel Spell doesn't come online until character level 14, though, unfortunately. I really wanted to get that Abjurant Champion caster level boost as quickly as possible though, since SR affects most spells. I guess you could stick with Spellsword to level 3 first of all and get Channel Spell by 9, putting the caster level boost off until level 14. Practiced Spellcaster could help you in the interim.

EndlessKng
2019-08-20, 06:09 AM
Ok, yeah, thanks. That's prestidigitation (only) as an at-will spell-like ability... by level 18.

Ack... apparently wasn't reading the tight tables but instead a revised/homebrew version.... that seemed to give hexblade a lot of what duskblade had as if to even it out. My bad :p

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-20, 06:55 AM
So, just a random though exercise: how would you build a Duskblade to emulate being a single-classed Hexblade?

So far I've picked out two feats: Netherese Battle Curse (LEoF) for a curse ability, and Fiendish Bloodline (Dragon Compendium) to allow access to casting Bestow Curse.

Also, Obtain Familiar seems obvious.

All thoughts welcome. Not for any real reason other than to see how people would approach this.

Cheers - T

More relevant thoughts:

Battle Curse is Cha based, which seems tricky given Int spellcasting and Gish MAD. The save is also based on the spell level sacrificed which is a limitation for a Duskblade too.

Duskblades are spontaneous casters. Would it be possible to use Dragontouched to get draconic feats to add spells to their list?

Just adding Bestow Curse is tricky because it's natively 4th level, so a Duskblade won't get access to it until later. If it would somehow be possible to handpick a number of curselike spells at different levels, that might give a Hexblade feel sooner.

You could use Intimidate in place of curse effects. Arcane Strike might help land big Intimidating Strike attacks, if you can spare 2 feats.

ShurikVch
2019-08-20, 08:14 PM
How about to start as a Duskblade, and then qualify to Hexer via Arcane Disciple (Thunder), dip in Pious Templar, and Alternative Source Spell feat?

Troacctid
2019-08-20, 09:26 PM
Mother Cyst is kinda curse-like.