PDA

View Full Version : Creating "The Lumberjack"

SpicyBoi_Nezu
2019-08-19, 05:41 PM
I got the brilliant idea to make a character that has devoted his entire life to chopping down trees, and as a result has acquired immense chopping power.

I know the he would need to be focused on sundering, because instead of immediate attacking the wielder, he would use is immense striking power to first cleave through their weapon.

I know that there are probably many different feats to increase sundering capabilities, but I don't have the patience to look through every book individually, therefor I decided to request the help of the Playground.

Main Goals:
-Maximize Damage to inanimate objects
-Optimize Sunder
-Maybe pick up cleave and great cleave

Particle_Man
2019-08-19, 06:51 PM
Some ranks in perform (singing) perhaps? :smallsmile:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=70Npi6PccBk

Trandir
2019-08-19, 07:07 PM
On top of my mind there is:
The dungeoncrusher AcF for the fighter that helps destroy inanimate objects.
The mountain hammer line maneuvers ignores hardness so you can destroy nearly anything with a couple of decent hits and also the Shards of Granite feat helps bypass damage restance or hardness.
Improved sunder is a nobrainer and it is half the requirement for combat brute that allows you to use the Sundering Cleave maneuver (you can cleave after you destroy a weapon).
Then you want all the strenght that you can get and a good slashing weapon (a great axe or something similar to stay on theme).
In the end something like fighter 6/warhulk 10/ warblade 4 can do that just fine. It is terrible but can chop pretty much anything

Saintheart
2019-08-19, 09:58 PM
Marshal. Minor Aura, Art of War adds CHA bonus to Sunder (and disarm, trip, bull rush) for the Marshal and all his allies. Marshal also allows bonuses on CHA-based checks to one's allies, of which Perform (Sing) is one: "Heeee's a lumberjack and he's okay..."

Blackguard requires Improved Sunder. "Heeeee's an evil lumberjack and he's okay..."

1 level of Cleric with Strength and Competition domains. Strength domain for the domain ability to smash STR through the roof for 1 round, and Enlarge Person as a domain spell. Competition grants +1 to all opposed rolls (like sunder). "Heeee's a holy lumberjack and he's okay..."

EndlessKng
2019-08-19, 10:20 PM
Iaijutsu Focus skill. Won't be as useful in a combat sunder due to needing no distractions, but it makes sense in the forest for someone who has done nothings but chop trees to have the focus to break objects, and it gives you extra damage if they have nothing to chop. (And if you can find a power or ability that lets you act as if there are no distractions, all the better!)

Rebel7284
2019-08-19, 10:59 PM
On a somewhat different note, what about Blighter? You get magical powers from deforestation. If you focus this magical power on gishing (might require some ways of expanding you spell list), you will end up being better at fighting than a fighter.

Saintheart
2019-08-19, 11:07 PM
Also, the Strength Devotion feat: once per day as a swift action, for 1 minute you bypass hardness with your melee attacks, and all your melee attacks gain the adamantine property for the purposes of DR.

Bohandas
2019-08-19, 11:13 PM
If the DM is loose with the rules (and/or more narrativeist or simulationist than gamist) getting Favored Enemy: Plant would probably help (although under a more strict reading the rules the bonus damage is limited to creatures)

Saintheart
2019-08-19, 11:26 PM
If the DM is loose with the rules (and/or more narrativeist or simulationist than gamist) getting Favored Enemy: Plant would probably help (although under a more strict reading the rules the bonus damage is limited to creatures)

Crusader's Strike could work wonderfully along with this if you're Chaotic Good, since most plants will be neutral. "I hate trees so much that when I chop one down, it heals me or someone close by!"

ShurikVch
2019-09-27, 08:28 PM
Race: Lesser Psionic Duergar

Class: Warblade 4/Dwarven Rogue 5/Exotic Weapon Master 1/Warblade 6/Paragnostic Initiate 1

Feats:
1 Power Attack, Improved SunderFLAW, Psionic TalentFLAW
3 Bind Vestige: Aym, Queen Avarice
6 Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Alchemical Gold Greataxe
9 Weapon Focus: Alchemical Gold Greataxe
11 CleaveB
12 Combat Brute
15 Great Sunder
16 Great CleaveB

Maneuvers which ignore hardness completely:
Mountain Hammer - +2d6 damage
Stone Dragon's Fury - +4d6 damage
Elder Mountain Hammer - +6d6 damage
Ancient Mountain Hammer - +12d6 damage

But even when none of those maneuvers is available, he still deals +4d6+2 extra damage to objects, and ignoring half of their hardness

Also:

http://www.dorktower.com/files/2005/01/UNSPEAKABLE(37).gif

http://www.giantitp.com/Images/bcx/MonsterMash002.gif

The Viscount
2019-09-28, 04:10 PM
If you've got the feat space, Shards of Granite lets you ignore hardness when you take -5 to attack for Stone Power with a Stone Dragon weapon (which includes the greatsword, so shouldn't be a problem). If you're wondering why it's better than an adamantine weapon, it's because it ignores all hardness, and adamantine can only ignore hardness below 20.