PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help with multiclassing splits?

Voidstar01
2019-08-19, 08:30 PM
So I want some advice on where to split some builds.

First I have a battlemaster fighter 9 Who is very VERY tanky (we ruled you always get the HP per level, I have 20 con and the tough feat) and has 22 Dex (my DM rewarded me for talking to the bar tender that apparently still has more DEX then me) and proficiency in all physical saves. I was planning to do Battlemaster 12/ Arcane Trickster 8, but I was recently cleared to take barbarian level and I know I should take at least 1 (unarmoured AC 21 lol) so I was thinking about further and theres no way to do battlemaster 12 and still get everything I want from Barbarian and Rogue, I'd still prefer to get an archetype in each class, so is it worth it to give up the ASI for class features? also since I can't cast spells while raging is arcane trickster still worth it? I was planning on using mirror and blur to be even harder to hit, but would somthing else be better, monk doesn't get uncanny dodge but still get evaision so maybe them?

This problem is simpler (and hopefully easier to read), I'm starting a new character Oath of conquest/Hexblade, the tank again (no one except me plays classes with above a d6 hit die), im just not sure how many levels of each to take of each. Was planning another 12/8 split, but I realized i'm either giving up immunity to fear or armor of hexes, both are very good for a tank, are they worth not getting an ASI to go 10/10?

RickAllison
2019-08-19, 09:02 PM

First I have a battlemaster fighter 9 Who is very VERY tanky (we ruled you always get the HP per level, I have 20 con and the tough feat) and has 22 Dex (my DM rewarded me for talking to the bar tender that apparently still has more DEX then me) and proficiency in all physical saves. I was planning to do Battlemaster 12/ Arcane Trickster 8, but I was recently cleared to take barbarian level and I know I should take at least 1 (unarmoured AC 21 lol) so I was thinking about further and theres no way to do battlemaster 12 and still get everything I want from Barbarian and Rogue, I'd still prefer to get an archetype in each class, so is it worth it to give up the ASI for class features? also since I can't cast spells while raging is arcane trickster still worth it? I was planning on using mirror and blur to be even harder to hit, but would somthing else be better, monk doesn't get uncanny dodge but still get evaision so maybe them?

This problem is simpler (and hopefully easier to read), I'm starting a new character Oath of conquest/Hexblade, the tank again (no one except me plays classes with above a d6 hit die), im just not sure how many levels of each to take of each. Was planning another 12/8 split, but I realized i'm either giving up immunity to fear or armor of hexes, both are very good for tank, are they worth not getting an ASI to go 10/10?

For the fighter, measure the features you are gunning for versus a feat you would take. You’ve got your stats kind of maxed for ASIs, so it is purely how many feats you want. Arcane Trickster wouldn’t be bad, you’re dipping Barbarian so you won’t have many rages anyway, you’ll just use those resources on different fights.

When considering a multiclass more than a dip, you really need to be gunning for specific features. Don’t just think about what you’ll get at extreme levels. Instead think of a plan of how you are going to take advantage of the multiclass during play; a build that comes online at level 8 will be miserable if you start at 3.

bid
2019-08-19, 10:44 PM
Unarmored defense is nice, but the other features won't help when your Dex is so high. Ancestral protectors might be only feature of value.

As for the simpler hexadin, you need to start paladin for heavy armor. If you go GWM/guided strike, you need pact of blade to use Cha with 2-handers. Paladin 7 / hexlock 3 is your first waypoint.
I feel a 9 / 11 split is better. You get 3rd paladin and 5th warlock spells, then you decide if IDS is better than 3 warlock slots and a mystic arcanum.

Dork_Forge
2019-08-20, 11:22 AM

This problem is simpler (and hopefully easier to read), I'm starting a new character Oath of conquest/Hexblade, the tank again (no one except me plays classes with above a d6 hit die), im just not sure how many levels of each to take of each. Was planning another 12/8 split, but I realized i'm either giving up immunity to fear or armor of hexes, both are very good for a tank, are they worth not getting an ASI to go 10/10?

Well what is it that you DO want from Barbarian and Rogue? And what weapon/fighting style do you use? Are you based on Dex for attacks? Rogue in general is a good choice and would boost your damage but Arcane Trickster will take you until tier 4 to get 2nd level spells. What are you mental stats like?

For the Paladin/Warlock dip I personally wouldn't do the 10/10 split, 12/8 still gets you 4th level slots and 4 invocations to play with leaving you with more hp, another ASI and probably most importantly Improved Divine Smite for resourcless damage.

Voidstar01
2019-08-20, 12:08 PM
Well what is it that you DO want from Barbarian and Rogue? And what weapon/fighting style do you use? Are you based on Dex for attacks? Rogue in general is a good choice and would boost your damage but Arcane Trickster will take you until tier 4 to get 2nd level spells. What are you mental stats like?

For the Paladin/Warlock dip I personally wouldn't do the 10/10 split, 12/8 still gets you 4th level slots and 4 invocations to play with leaving you with more hp, another ASI and probably most importantly Improved Divine Smite for resourcless damage.

I was looking to get unarmored AC, Danger Sense and evasion, but on further thought advantage on dex saves MIGHT be a bit overkill (currently rollin with a +9 on dex saves) my fighting style is armored, but we DM is a cool dude and would probably let me retrain it during down time, yes i'm dex based also not to worried about damage, since we play in a custom post WW1-ish tech setting and my pistols are like a pair of ranged great swords. My casting stats are all +1 (I rolled very well) so I'm stuck with entirely buffing spells.

Dork_Forge
2019-08-20, 12:48 PM
I was looking to get unarmored AC, Danger Sense and evasion, but on further thought advantage on dex saves MIGHT be a bit overkill (currently rollin with a +9 on dex saves) my fighting style is armored, but we DM is a cool dude and would probably let me retrain it during down time, yes i'm dex based also not to worried about damage, since we play in a custom post WW1-ish tech setting and my pistols are like a pair of ranged great swords. My casting stats are all +1 (I rolled very well) so I'm stuck with entirely buffing spells.

To be honest I think Barbarian is a bit of a waste as you're Dex centered (so no bonus damage, no archery style etc.), your DM seems to be very open, would he be open to you multiclassing into Mystic? The Immortal discipline would give you the same AC formula as the Barbarian (though no shields), keeps your HP the same as a Fighter and gives you some psionics for utility and defense. Honestly if he does allow the Mystic I'd just pump that to at least 4th, if not 8th and bump your int up to help that along. But just one dip into it would give you the ability to get a +2 to AC for an hour without needing concentration.

As for Fighitng style I'd defintiely retrain it to Archery and if you want a damage boost pick up Sharpshooter (with your to hit you'd be able to use it a lot wihtout too much chance of missing).