PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sorcerer training for spells.

FoxWolFrostFire
2019-08-19, 11:59 PM
Starting at level 2 and every 2 levels after that you gain a blank spell slot which you can fill with any Sorcerer or Wizard(Provided you have a caster able to teach that spell) Spell at a cost of 5days/100GP per spell level.

Just an idea I had. But my wizard player made a MASSIVE fuss over it. Saying it made him feel like he picked the wrong class because those extra ten spells that might gain from the wizard list is SO much greater than ALL of the wizard.

So thoughts? Should I just limit it to Sorc spells? To be clear I've come from the age of D&D where Sorcerer and Wizard shared a spell list and I always thought it was dumb they split them up.

Bjarkmundur
2019-08-20, 04:02 AM
There is such a thing as stepping on another class' toes. I don't mind sorc gaining additional spells, and your wizard can already scribe spell Scrolls. Ignoring both of these and directly give your sorcerer w the wizard spell list is kinda mean. I mean, it's the best spell list in the game and takes up A LOT of the wizard's design space. Just look at how barren the wizard's class table is; he got next to nothing in exchange for a getting arcane recovery and that spell list.

I recommend scrapping what you have, and instead give your sorcerer one additional spell known per spell level, and/or reducing the cost of scribing spell Scrolls for your wizard by half (only applying to the spell school associated with his subclass).

Now your wizard feels more like a wizard, being an expert in his school of magic, and your sorcerer feels more magic - savy. No toes stepped on. :)

FoxWolFrostFire
2019-08-20, 05:05 AM
There is such a thing as stepping on another class' toes. I don't mind sorc gaining additional spells, and your wizard can already scribe spell Scrolls. Ignoring both of these and directly give your sorcerer w the wizard spell list is kinda mean. I mean, it's the best spell list in the game and takes up A LOT of the wizard's design space. Just look at how barren the wizard's class table is; he got next to nothing in exchange for a getting arcane recovery and that spell list.

I recommend scrapping what you have, and instead give your sorcerer one additional spell known per spell level, and/or reducing the cost of scribing spell Scrolls for your wizard by half (only applying to the spell school associated with his subclass).

Now your wizard feels more like a wizard, being an expert in his school of magic, and your sorcerer feels more magic - savy. No toes stepped on. :)

A spell list doesn't not make a class. I think most Wizards are amazing with a hand full of the prime school, Easily outshining the Sorcerer in nearly every regard. The same reason I don't think it was THAT big of a deal with the Sorcerer steps on the cleric toes and no one whines about that. I would be much happier with the game if it just went back to Wizard/Sorcerer spell list. But Crawford is as stupid as he is smart. Like a tread mile of good idea, followed by bad idea. On repeat.