PDA

View Full Version : BM Fighter with all the maneuvers (ok, not all but alot)

MadBear
2019-08-20, 03:59 AM
Variant Human BM fighter level 12:
Str: 20
Dex:8
Con:14
Int:10
Wis:12
Char:14

Feats:
Martial Adept (3 times)

Maneuvers known:
Commander's Strike
Disarming Strike
Distracting Strike
Evasive Footwork
Feinting Attack
Goading Attack
Maneuvering Attack
Menacing Attack
Precision Attack
Pushing Attack
Rally
Riposte
Trip Attack

Superiority Dice: 8d10 per short rest

Idea: I want an old rough and tough mercenary, whose been leading men for ages. An old war wound means his leg will never work quite right again but he makes up for it with good armor, and a strong sword arm. He also has all the right tools for whatever the task.

While I know taking martial adept 3 times is a little sub-optimal, there is a method behind the madness. All of a sudden, I can use maneuvers at almost double what any other fighter could. Assuming 2 short rests (which in my group is common), I'll have 24 superiority dice to use throughout the whole day, and in my group there will for sure be an Rogue Assassin.

Other feats for later:
-Shield Master: why not, a bonus action shove could be useful
- Inspiring Leader: With an ok charisma stat, this old man is gonna rally his men
- Healer: Not optimal, but again this old dude, can pull out the medkit and get you patched up and ready to fight.
- Martial Adept (at this point, I really will have all the manuevers, but more importantly, each feat is essentially 3 more dice over the day.

Has anyone given a similar idea the try?

Zhorn
2019-08-20, 04:11 AM
While I know taking martial adept 3 times is a little sub-optimal, there is a method behind the madness. All of a sudden, I can use maneuvers at almost double what any other fighter could. Assuming 2 short rests (which in my group is common), I'll have 24 superiority dice to use throughout the whole day

As long as you're aware you'll need DM buy in if you want to pick this feat up multiple times all is fine.
But this won't be AL legal if that matters to you.

Feats
...You can take each feat only once, unless the feat's description says otherwise....

MadBear
2019-08-20, 04:23 AM
As long as you're aware you'll need DM buy in if you want to pick this feat up multiple times all is fine.
But this won't be AL legal if that matters to you.

Dang. for some reason I thought this feat had the ability to be taken multiple times.

Zhorn
2019-08-20, 05:21 AM
Dang. for some reason I thought this feat had the ability to be taken multiple times.

It's a very common house rule, so if you're not in AL, there's a good chance your DM will allow it.
But yeah, not AL compliant if that's important to you.

Chronos
2019-08-20, 05:46 AM
The general rule is that feats can only be taken once unless otherwise specified, and the only feat that otherwise specifies is Elemental Adept. But yeah, there are plenty of others for which it makes sense and isn't unbalanced, like Martial Adept.

IIRC, there's also an "errata" that the superiority die from the feat does not increase in size, even for a battlemaster, but that's best just ignored.

Khrysaes
2019-08-20, 06:30 AM
If you are doing that, you may be interested in multiclassing to a revised spell less ranger.

Just 2 levels would net you

Advantage on initiative.

1 language
+2 damage to a creature type(humanoids is usually the most broad)
4 martial dice
2 maneuvers.
A second fighting style

A third level would get you another subclass, gloom stalker is great

MadBear
2019-08-21, 09:18 AM
So the DM and I talked it out, and agreed that I can take it multiple times, but the errata stands and it'll be 1d6 for the feat version. Since it's the abilities that are more important to me then the damage, I still think it's worth it.

Contrast
2019-08-21, 10:56 AM
IIRC, there's also an "errata" that the superiority die from the feat does not increase in size, even for a battlemaster, but that's best just ignored.

I'm not really sure why you put errata in quotation marks - they did indeed errata the feat so that you now just add a d6 superiority die which never increases in size. You can find the current wording here (https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/PH-Errata.pdf) so worth asking your DM how they're going to run it.

Edit - and I am once again reminded why I shouldn't leave tabs open, wander away from my PC and come back and respond without refreshing :smalltongue: