PDA

View Full Version : Your best turn ever DPS

berserker7878
2019-08-20, 07:39 AM
what is your best strike? what is your best damage? have you cut a dragon in half, have you hit a half god, avec you kiss ass a tarasq? have you cast a meteor blast in face of AO, impressiv me

tell my war brother !!!

my Goliath fighter barbarian lv 12-1, archetype brute

I was in a rage, with enlargement caster on me + hast + holy weapon.
I have 3 attacks with a sword +2 + 1d8 light.
the entity of fear had been UP by its magic, we were about to lose and I did my action surge.
I have +12 touch, I touched 7 times ..
I made my stroke as if I had made a blow of the sword and that this one had sliced ​​several times the enemy.
I did a total of 320 damage

I literally annihilated the boss at the end, and the entity of fear know the real fear: me

:)

LudicSavant
2019-08-20, 07:59 AM
Got well over 1000 in a turn with a "Nuclear Wizard" style build. And that's if you only count the single target damage it was doing.

One of the runners up... a Samurai archer using two Action Surges on a round they activate Strength Before Death, while having a bunch of buffs from the party. Got close to 1000.

To get a basic idea of how the Samurai works, here's an old post of mine:

Some quick damage calculations (all vs AC 19 at level 20). Accounting for accuracy, crit chance, the whole nine yards. All results are rounded to the nearest tenth.

Samurai 20 (Sharpshooter/Crossbow Expert/Elven Accuracy/Max Dex):
Fighting Spirit / Rapid Strike: 85.4 DPR
FS / RS / Action Surge: 160.3 DPR
FS / RS / AS / Strength Before Death: 320.6 DPR

Note that the Samurai in particular scales incredibly well with buffs / teamwork due to AS, RS and SBD. Let me give you an idea of how well:
FS/RS/Elemental Weapon (1 hour buff, cast at 7th level): 133.45 DPR.
FS/RS/Action Surge + Elemental Weapon: 248.1 DPR
FS/RS/Action Surge + Elemental Weapon + Holy Weapon (they stack, but two different party members need to do it): 333.8 DPR

FS/RS/AS/EW/SBD: 496.2 DPR
FS/RS/AS/EW/HW/SBD: 667.6 DPR
FS/RS/AS/EW/HW/SBD/Haste: 744.7 DPR

So uh, yeah. Cast a buff on your local Samurai today. It's good value for your spell slot/Concentration. (I seriously feel like accounting for teamwork is overlooked WAY too often in character optimization threads. The Samurai scales really well with teamwork due to their features basically acting as a force multiplier for every die that gets added to them).

(Note: I'm usually the one playing the buffer here, so I often calculate who in the party is best to buff ^^;;)

As for the Nuclear Wizard, I did a build post for it: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23998967&postcount=170

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-20, 08:08 AM
1. Two attacks with advantage, two crits (thanks rolll20 RNG) with a Paladin's smite using a second level spell slot on each. (6th level). Rolled pretty well. Warhammer was the weapon.

2. I also did a whole pile of damage to a frost giant once by pushing it off of a very high cliff using the shield master shove (I had drunk a potion of growth before the battle) - about 250' up.

20d6 after I did three attacks with a champion fighter (all three of which hit with a long sword) but I can't really take credit for the falling damage.

Misterwhisper
2019-08-20, 09:20 AM
I don’t tend to get pay massive damage builds but I played a swashbuckler at level 17 who had boots of speed.

I had boots of speed active and won initiative.
On my turn I tumbled and flipped my way past some grunts and shanked a very high level archer in the back, crit, then readied an action to stab him again when he drew his bow and crit again.

I was just using shortswords so it ended up being 40d6 + 16 total, I think I ended up doing about 170 damage.

Not enough to kill the guy but enough to give him a very bad day.

It was an npc in a game I was running but as an assassin 3, deepstalker 3, Battlemaster 11. 9 shots with a hand crossbow with surprise, CBE and SS. Did just a hair over 200.

GlenSmash!
2019-08-20, 10:47 AM
One time I grappled a cultist and shoved him off of a cloud castle.

I don't know how much damage that was. Max fall damage I guess? So 20d6 which is not that much, but pretty good for a level 3 Barbarian.

Admael
2019-08-20, 10:56 AM
My group was hunting down a group of vampires and managed to find their lair and confront them.
My Paladin, level 11 at the time, duel wielding a Sun Blade and a Dragon Slayer Short sword against the vampire lord. I rolled 3 natural twenties in a row and burned all of my 3rd level spell slots to smite, but I dealt a total of exactly 200 damage, giving that vampire the true death.

RickAllison
2019-08-20, 10:57 AM
It wasn’t technically damage, but I was using a Lore Wizard. Used the 1/day feature to use Divine Word, used the range extension to 1 mile, and used it against three tribes of orcs (formerly allied with us but had lost their usefulness). By the end, they were inverse-decimated, only one in ten was still living.

Darth_Versity
2019-08-20, 10:59 AM
My highest round was with a valor bard using an Oathbow, Swift Quiver and Sharpshooter. We came up against the big bad, who my character has a personal grudge against. Swift Quiver was already active and I rolled high on initiative. I proceeded to just unleash 4 shots with sharpshooter.

Each shot was 1D8 + 3D6 + 17. I got three crits and got a total of 184. Not much compared to many others of heard of, but it ended that boss there and then, so the DM brought in his superior, who was supposed to be the boss for the next campaign instead.

Pex
2019-08-20, 11:54 AM
My favorite turn is not about damage. It's relevant DM allows Shield Master bonus shove come before attacking. I'm playing a barbarian/fighter. The paladin on his mount is being attacked by two creatures, surrounded. He is very low on health. He will die when the monsters go unless they miss, while possible is unlikely. My turn. I move next to the paladin. I bonus action shove his mount 5 ft away from one of the monsters, not provoking AoO since it's not voluntary on his part. I attack the other monster, using Maneuvering Strike from Battle Master allowing the mount to move half his speed away from the monster I attack without provoking an AoO from the monster I attack. The Paladin is now free from any threat. I take the monsters' attacks, bear barbarian with lots of hit points left, and the paladin moves to safety to heal up on his turn. I saved his life. Everyone was impressed, and it was a nice bonding moment between our characters.

stoutstien
2019-08-20, 11:59 AM
Does dropping a mountain on an army of hobgoblins count if it was done during a single turn?

berserker7878
2019-08-21, 12:50 AM
My favorite turn is not about damage. It's relevant DM allows Shield Master bonus shove come before attacking. I'm playing a barbarian/fighter. The paladin on his mount is being attacked by two creatures, surrounded. He is very low on health. He will die when the monsters go unless they miss, while possible is unlikely. My turn. I move next to the paladin. I bonus action shove his mount 5 ft away from one of the monsters, not provoking AoO since it's not voluntary on his part. I attack the other monster, using Maneuvering Strike from Battle Master allowing the mount to move half his speed away from the monster I attack without provoking an AoO from the monster I attack. The Paladin is now free from any threat. I take the monsters' attacks, bear barbarian with lots of hit points left, and the paladin moves to safety to heal up on his turn. I saved his life. Everyone was impressed, and it was a nice bonding moment between our characters.

haaaaa the friend power i like that, for it's very important, you do a legendary action, save your friend and ankt the damage, for me a good barbarian do that thing, juste tank and tank the damage their friend, good job.

berserker7878
2019-08-21, 12:52 AM
My highest round was with a valor bard using an Oathbow, Swift Quiver and Sharpshooter. We came up against the big bad, who my character has a personal grudge against. Swift Quiver was already active and I rolled high on initiative. I proceeded to just unleash 4 shots with sharpshooter.

Each shot was 1D8 + 3D6 + 17. I got three crits and got a total of 184. Not much compared to many others of heard of, but it ended that boss there and then, so the DM brought in his superior, who was supposed to be the boss for the next campaign instead.

WHHoooo this prety strong, the DM obligate to invoke the next boss haha good move

berserker7878
2019-08-21, 12:54 AM
My group was hunting down a group of vampires and managed to find their lair and confront them.
My Paladin, level 11 at the time, duel wielding a Sun Blade and a Dragon Slayer Short sword against the vampire lord. I rolled 3 natural twenties in a row and burned all of my 3rd level spell slots to smite, but I dealt a total of exactly 200 damage, giving that vampire the true death.

I like it, cliche but so good, the good against the bad and the good spanks evil haha ​​buffy against the vampires (if buffy was a paladin in armor of 100 kilos with divine powers ..)

sithlordnergal
2019-08-21, 01:01 AM
Best turn ever? That would be on my Soradin that is currently level 20. I wield a Rod of Lordly Might in Flame Tongue form, and usually use the Paralyze ability if possible. As such, my absolute BEST DPS has a few things:

1) I need to crit

2) I need to be facing Undead

3) I need to be Hasted by an ally

4) I need to paralyze the target on that first hit.

5) Not necessary, but Divine Favor does add a nice d4 to damage.

If everything goes off without a hitch I can attack four times due to Attack, Extra Attack, Haste Attack, and Booming Blade. This would result in:

8d8 Slashing + 6d8 Thunder + 16d6 Fire + 8d4 Radiant + 48 Radiant + 20, and an additional 4d8 Thunder if they move.

If they don't move then I have an average damage of about 375, if the does move then it does between 392 to 394 total damage. The scary part is that, due to my spell slots, I could do it a second time. Provided the target remains paralized.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-21, 01:27 AM
That was the second and third time my paladins used Divine smite.

We found damons. I rolled attack, I crit I had hunters mark on him.

Warhamer got me 8+6+4 2 level slot on a damon is 4d8*2=8d8

I rolled 14+54+4=72
The second attack was 14 damage

Next round I crited again so I did it again(after using hexblade curse on the second damon).
I did 64 damage.
The second attack was 15 damage.

Mongobear
2019-08-21, 01:35 AM
14th level Barbarian, "Flametongue" Greataxe, Belt of Fire Giant Strength, GWM, Half-Orc vs some homebrew Ice Monster vulnerable to Fire damage.

Wizard went before me and Hasted, Druid used Faerie Fire, and I was already Raging from a fight vs little versions of this thing we were chasing back to mommy.

I charge in, and use GWM, then roll some dice. 1st swing 20/7, 2nd swing 11/20, Haste swing 16/20, GWM BA swing 20/3. 4 crits in a row, so I start counting out dice.

Each hit does 5d12 + 4d6 + 22 and he's vulnerable to the 4d6.

So, 20d12 + 16d6(x2) + 88. I roll it all out, and end up dealing something like 350 damage in one round. Immediately killed the 'boss' of the night in one turn. The DM sat there stunned for like 5 minutes, mentally checking math, and making sure I was calculating it right, before slowly reaching over to this things mini, and tipping it over like a King in chess. I was no longer allowed to use that set of dice ever again.

Fable Wright
2019-08-21, 01:59 AM
We were trying to take out a couple of Erinyes at the bottom of a staircase with our level 8-9 party. Since we had a party with Pass Without Trace and size reduction, we were able to quietly barricade the doors on either side, trapping them in. My druid tossed in an Eversmoking Bottle and burned his fifth level spell to summon Flying Boomslangs (DM ruled that as a Vadalis heir, flying snakes that dealt thunder damage rather than poison were something that the House has bred to the point of being summonable).

It wasn't one big nova round, but all we heard down there were screams. Over the course of the surprise rounds and two combat rounds, the party just tensely waited at the top of the staircase, readying attacks to attack them the moment they came up.

...Turns out the snakes dealt around 380 damage without taking a scratch due to the surprise round and the fact that the DM ruled that the Erinyes couldn't determine which squares the flyby attack snakes with Blindsight retreated to.

DarkKnightJin
2019-08-21, 05:10 AM
Cast Tidal Wave on a Fire Elemental with my 8th Kobold Druid.
Did 22 Bludgeoning damage. And 1870 cold damage, according to the DM's calculations.
I was just trying to extinguish the flames on the Fighter and the Barbarian.

DeTess
2019-08-21, 05:22 AM
Hmm, does dispelling the full-health simulacrum of the final boss of a 1-20 campaign count? That would probably have been like 350 or so hp damage equivalent. Otherwise it was probably the actual final fight against hat boss, where my Sorcadin and the grave cleric worked together to set up one massive attack from my Sorcadin (I used a highly upcast absorb elements in preparation and then dropped a smite into the attack as well) for about 150 or so damage all told in that round.

Foff
2019-08-21, 06:36 AM
Out artificer, flying on his mechanical eagle, once oneshot killed a stone giant out in the open throwing a horse from his robe of useful items at him from a height of 400ft. Good times!
We had to pause the session for half an hour due to hysteric laughter After that.

Spacehamster
2019-08-21, 07:02 AM
Not really best ever but darn satisfying, my half orc champion fighter “Borgh” level 3 attacked a certain young green dragon with advantage using action surge with his great axe both attacks critting first attack ended up with 10,9,12 and other 8,12,12 so 63+6 damage at level 3 felt quite nice. :)