PDA

View Full Version : What type of ability is immunity?

Biggus
2019-08-20, 10:09 PM
Energy resistance is described as "usually extraordinary", which I assume means it's extraordinary unless is says otherwise, but immunities don't seem to say anywhere what type of ability they are. Does anyone know?

ZamielVanWeber
2019-08-21, 11:41 AM
Natural. If it not listed as SU, EX, or SP it is natural.

MisterKaws
2019-08-21, 12:25 PM
Natural. If it not listed as SU, EX, or SP it is natural.

Yeah, this here. I believe it's a rule mentioned in the MM.

Biggus
2019-08-21, 04:26 PM
Do you know exactly where it says that? Immunities are listed under special qualities, and under "special attacks and special qualities" on p.6 of the MM it says "a special ability is either extraordinary, spell-like or supernatural", it doesn't mention natural abilities.

MisterKaws
2019-08-21, 04:42 PM
Do you know exactly where it says that? Immunities are listed under special qualities, and under "special attacks and special qualities" on p.6 of the MM it says "a special ability is either extraordinary, spell-like or supernatural", it doesn't mention natural abilities.

Found it. PHB page 180. It's the fine print right at the end of the chapter.

Biggus
2019-08-21, 06:49 PM

Thank you. Weird that it's included as a category in the PHB but not the MM.

I'm not entirely convinced that immunity is meant to be a natural ability, as resistance is extraordinary, and it doesn't really seem in the same category as the given example of "a bird's ability to fly". But as it's not listed as any of the other types, it seems that by RAW you're right.

Crake
2019-08-21, 06:54 PM
It's rather arguable that immunities derived from type are natural abilities, as they are based on your very nature, rather than some special ability you have. For example, undead immunity to mind affecting, or a (Fire) creature's fire immunity.

Crichton
2019-08-21, 07:04 PM
Yeah, this here. I believe it's a rule mentioned in the MM.

Thank you. Weird that it's included as a category in the PHB but not the MM.

I'm not entirely convinced that immunity is meant to be a natural ability, as resistance is extraordinary, and it doesn't really seem in the same category as the given example of "a bird's ability to fly". But as it's not listed as any of the other types, it seems that by RAW you're right.

Well, strictly speaking, the MM entry on pg 6 pretty clearly states that in its monster entries, the MM is only going to include Ex, Sp, and Su abilities under the heading of "Special Attacks and Special Qualities," which would lead us to the conclusion that, at least for entries in the MM, nothing found under that heading is considered a Natural ability. This isn't necessarily in conflict with the text from PHB, so it falls under Specific Trumps General, rather than Primary Source Rule (unless a duplicate entry for a same-named ability elsewhere specifically lists it differently, in which case there would be a conflict of rules, leading to Primary Source overruling)

Biggus
2019-08-21, 08:33 PM
Well, strictly speaking, the MM entry on pg 6 pretty clearly states that in its monster entries, the MM is only going to include Ex, Sp, and Su abilities under the heading of "Special Attacks and Special Qualities," which would lead us to the conclusion that, at least for entries in the MM, nothing found under that heading is considered a Natural ability.

I just looked up Roc in the MM and it doesn't list flight under special qualities, but the Ravid does, and in its entry it's listed as supernatural, which suggests you're right.

It's rather arguable that immunities derived from type are natural abilities, as they are based on your very nature, rather than some special ability you have. For example, undead immunity to mind affecting, or a (Fire) creature's fire immunity.

I can see that logic, and I'd certainly agree that mindless creatures being immune to mind-affecting makes sense as a natural ability. However, not all creatures with immunity have the relevant type; for example, a Pit Fiend has fire immunity but not the fire type.

MisterKaws
2019-08-21, 08:42 PM
for example, a Pit Fiend has fire immunity but not the fire type.

In that specific case you're wrong by RAW. Fire immunity is a racial trait of all Devils and pretty clearly untyped on purpose, considering some of those traits do have a type listed. More interestingly, those same Devils also have Telepathy as an untyped trait, which could have some fun implications in an Antimagic Field.

Mordaedil
2019-08-22, 01:41 AM
It's fair to note that it mostly matters in cases like with the Frost Mage's Piercing Cold metamagic, which can penetrate most cold immunities, except from those with the cold subtype. So a piercing cold spell would affect a skeleton, but not a white dragon.

If I understand the text correctly, at least.

Crake
2019-08-22, 06:22 AM
In that specific case you're wrong by RAW. Fire immunity is a racial trait of all Devils and pretty clearly untyped on purpose, considering some of those traits do have a type listed.

Agreed, a better example would have been the balor, who is immune to fire, but through no type-based sources.