PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Ravnican Vampire

zinycor
2019-08-20, 10:26 PM
So I am going to start a new campaign at Ravnica and the Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica book doesn't include a Vampire race. Now, Ravnican vampires don't have any weakness to sunlight, but also don't have the more incredible powers.

Ravnican Vampire

Ability Score Increase. Charisma increases by 1 and two other different ability scores increase by 1
Age. Ravnican Vampires get to unlive for as long as they get to continue to feed on blood. Their appearance remains the same as the moment they got turned.
Size. Your size depends on whatever race your character was before you turned into a Vampire
Speed. Your base movement speed is 30 feet.
Undead Abomination. Your creature type is undead, rather than humanoid.
Darkvision. 120 feet
Hematophagous. As a Ravnican Vampires you get your life sustenance only from blood. you are able to eat and drink other food, however only blood can sustain your existence. Your body decomposes after a week without drinking blood.
Humanoid Hunter. You gain proficiency on one of the following skills: Stealth, Deception, Intimidation.
Bite. Your fanged maw is a natural weapon, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with it, you deal Necrotic damage equal to 1d6 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike. You also gain temporary hit points equal to half the damage dealt by the Bite (A minimum of one)
Languages. You speak common and another language of your choice.

EDIT: Added a +1 to charisma, and moved the amount of temporary HP gained from the bite from Charisma Modifier to half of damage Dealt by bite. Changed Darkvision into 120 feet.

EDIT: What about Some Spellcasting? Would that be OK?

Xuldarinar
2019-08-21, 03:50 AM
Before diving in, have you seen Plane Shift (https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Plane_Shift")'s Ixalan and Zendikar Vampire? I personally would have gone the route of making this another subrace option (+2 Cha, Darkvision 60ft, Resistance to Necrotic, Common and Vampire languages, and Blood thirst, which is basically a bite attack but with conditions before it can be used) to have it in line with the other MtG vampire types and gone from there.

That said: What you have so far looks alright. I don't know if an inherent spellcasting ability would be good or not at this point, it depends on what you have in mind.

Bjarkmundur
2019-08-21, 04:18 PM
I don't know how Ravnica vampires differ from Monster Manual Vampires, but you can use this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?581641-Vampire-Race-according-to-the-Monster-Manual&p=23725492#post23725492)for reference if you need some inspiration :)

Durazno
2019-08-22, 01:21 PM
If I remember right, Ravnican vampires take memories rather than blood, or at least the more powerful ones. Perhaps some ability relating to memory manipulation, reading, or stealing would set them apart from other planar vampires in a thematic way.

KittenMagician
2019-08-25, 02:04 AM
If I remember right, Ravnican vampires take memories rather than blood, or at least the more powerful ones. Perhaps some ability relating to memory manipulation, reading, or stealing would set them apart from other planar vampires in a thematic way.

it actually depends on what guild they are attached to. vampires on ravnica are almost always a part of orzhov or dimir (or gateless/unaffiliated) vampires of orzhov drink blood (from debtors) while those of dimir feed on the mind (memories or thoughts). in either case being able to depict this well in ability might be difficult but i think it might be essential. gateless vampires are more like those found in orzhov. maybe if a player decides to be a vampire, they start off as gateless and if they join the dimir guild they can learn to feed off of memories instead of blood.

Durazno
2019-08-25, 03:49 AM
Maybe subraces for UB and WB vampires? Though that might be a lot of work.

Tiefling-style spellcasting could also work to differentiate the types.