PDA

View Full Version : Fruit Grenade?

Volug
2007-10-12, 09:15 AM
My friend keeps telling me that he can make a grenade out of an apple...

It goes like this...

1) cast spell to enchant apple to make it a healing item once eaten

2)cast another spell to make it explode in said amount of time/rounds dealling healing damage because of the spell cast in step #1.

3) bite out the stem of the apple and toss it into a hoard of undead. (that sounds cool)

well that does sound really cool, but I want to know what some other things are.

1) What spells are those?

2) What book is it from?

3) is this acually possible to do?

thanks in advance

SilverClawShift
2007-10-12, 09:28 AM
I remember reading somewhere about 'alternative potions', including turning fruit, breakable objects, or powders and dusts into the potion instead.

And I remember reading about a spell that turns a potion into an explosive that deals (I think) 1d6 per spell level of the potion (I think).

I don't think it would be unreasonable to turn an apple into a 3d6 boom-ball. Mechanically it wouldn't really be different from carrying around a bunch of glass vials that did the same thing, except way more stylin (or at least, differently stylin). But ultimately, you don't need an apple to have that grenade, you can just cast the spell on anything that is effectively a 'potion' and turn it into a grenade.

*Later*

Yup, checked, book of exalted deeds. 2nd level spell, 10-foot radius burst, elemental energy (you pick what kind), 1d6 damage per spell level. Duration instantaneous.

So you've got a 3rd level arcane caster, you've got incendiary grenades.

psychoticbarber
2007-10-12, 09:32 AM
But if it's a potion (of any sort) doesn't it have to be ingested? I'm just not convinced that exploding a healing potion on a zombie would make it anything other than slightly singed and wet.

SilverClawShift
2007-10-12, 09:35 AM
That's not what the spell does. Specifically, it "Transforms the potion into a volatile substance that can be hurled" ect ect.

It's no longer the potion it once was. It doesn't explode as a healing burst, it explodes as Xd6 elemental damage.

psychoticbarber
2007-10-12, 09:40 AM
That's not what the spell does. Specifically, it "Transforms the potion into a volatile substance that can be hurled" ect ect.

It's no longer the potion it once was. It doesn't explode as a healing burst, it explodes as Xd6 elemental damage.

Are you correcting my interpretation or the other interpretation? Haha, I'm just confused, is all, not saying you're wrong (I'm quite certain you know better than I do, in fact).

Kurald Galain
2007-10-12, 09:45 AM
The Dark Sun setting traditionally has fruit rather than potions (because of the severe shortage of water on that world).

Zim
2007-10-12, 10:42 AM
Sounds like fireseeds that do positive energy damage instead. Just make it a wondrous item that requires both a cure spell and fireseeds to create.