PDA

View Full Version : Gith Pirate build

PraxisVetli
2019-08-21, 03:50 AM
So I'm very new to 5e, let's start there, but I have lots of 3.5 experience, for what that's worth.
I'm entering a game where race, stats, and backround are predetermined, but we choose class.
Starting level 3, and all sources are available, including UA.
We have to play either a Githyanki or a Githzerai, and backgrounds are any from Saltmarsh.
Ability scores are 18, 18, 14, 14, 10, 10, before racials, allocated as we so choose.
Oh and I guess we're gonna be Pirates.

I was looking at Pact of the Kraken Warlock and Soul of the Sea Sorcerer.
But I don't know much else besides those look cool together, and it seems that it's pretty suboptimal.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Yuki Akuma
2019-08-21, 04:10 AM
I'd suggest against multiclassing Warlock and Sorcerer together - Pact Magic and Spellcasting don't combine, so you'd wind up with lots of low-level slots and no high-level ones.

If you were starting at a higher level it might be okay, but at level three you probably want to be single-classed.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-21, 05:21 AM
I'd suggest against multiclassing Warlock and Sorcerer together - Pact Magic and Spellcasting don't combine, so you'd wind up with lots of low-level slots and no high-level ones.

If you were starting at a higher level it might be okay, but at level three you probably want to be single-classed.

Yep, a Sorcelock build come online at Sorcerer 3, after that you can do whatever you want(you can also do so before but I won't recommend it).

You may want to start with a Sorcerer 3 and take warlock next (Warlock 2 is were the real fun begins. Laugh in EVIL).

You may be 2 level slower at getting spells and higher level spells but you will have way more spell slots.

Galithar
2019-08-21, 05:32 AM
The build for a Sorlock should almost always start with Warlock levels. The reason being that you will be behind in spell levels with a multiclass, but the bread and butter of a Warlock is usually Eldritch Blast (with the Agonizing blast invocation) you want to make sure this is online early. Then go into your Sorcerer levels. For pure optimization you would want 2 or 3 levels of Warlock, but any mix is actually workable and fun.

An even split means you don't get high level spells, but you have mid-level spells for days. It's a lot of fun to play (I've done a build that ended at Warlock 7/Sorcerer 8 with a plan for Warlock 9/Sorcerer 11 if we'd gone to twenty) between Warlock invocations and having the best attack cantrip in the game it's a lot of fun to play. Just know that it's more of a generalist build if you split levels more evenly. I was good at a lot and always had a means of contributing in all 3 pillars, but the only thing I was really the best at was being the face. With Mask of Many Faces, the Actor feat, at-will silent Image (invocation, but I don't remember the name) and a 20 Cha I could talk my way out of just about anything.

PraxisVetli
2019-08-21, 10:19 AM
It seems that the general consensus is my build is less than optimal.
That's fine, I wasn't super attached to it at all.
I guess I'm new enough to this that any build that's user friendly, and fits the chassis of 'Gith Pirate?'

Galithar
2019-08-21, 05:32 PM
It seems that the general consensus is my build is less than optimal.
That's fine, I wasn't super attached to it at all.
I guess I'm new enough to this that any build that's user friendly, and fits the chassis of 'Gith Pirate?'

Well it really all depends on your table. After you playing with a group of high optimization players that will be upset if you're not perfectly optimized? Or are you playing with a group of people that is okay with you being of average optimization? A Sorlock can be one of the most highly optimized characters, and it can also be one of the least optimized characters. It all depends on what YOU want to do with it.

I see a lot of things that can tie into being a pirate about a Sorlock. Now I'm not familiar with either of those Subclasses, but from the base class you can do a lot of 'pirateish' things.

Warlock can give you Mask of Many Faces for the ultimate disguise on the fly. Good for infiltrating a ship or slipping something past customs (if that's a thing in your game) Eldritch Blast with Agonizing Blast invocation is a great ranged attack. 1d10+CHA increasing both in die size AND in charisma bonus as you get more beams at levels 5, 11, and 17.
Add on repelling blast and suddenly you get amazing at throwing people of the ship.

Sorcerer will give you some more spell slots that can be used on things like control water which can dramatically effect a naval engagement.

Again I can't stress enough that Sorlock can be one of the most powerful multiclass combinations. At level 5 you can quicken Eldritch Blasts once a day. If you have a 20 charisma that can be 4d10+20 damage with a 40 foot push (adding the repelling blast invocation) that's on par with a Fighter using their action surge. Yes the fighter can do this per short rest, but you also have 2 level 1 slots that refresh on short rest and 4 first and 2 second level slots that refresh on long rests. If you burn those Warlock short rest slots into sorcery points you ALSO can do this once per short rest, with an additional time per long rest.

My recommended progression is
Warlock 2 (Eldritch Blast with Agonizing Blast and 1 invocation of your choice)
Sorcerer 5 (At 3 you get metamagic, 4 gives you an ASI, and 5 gives you third level spells)
Warlock 3 or 4 (3 to get your pact bonus. I recommend Pact of the Tome and grabbing the ritual casting invocation or 4 for an additional ASI)
Sorcerer X if you're going for maximum damage potential.

With this progression you are a bit behind in spell level, but you can quicken Eldritch Blast and keep up with a fighter damage wise (at least close enough to be useful and a good contributor. Optimized fighter builds will out perform by a decent margin if all you do is use EB, but you still have leveled spells to use when needed) if you stick to 3 levels or less of Warlock you still get ninth level spells, granted only if you go all the way to 20. You'll never Nova very hard (but you can do decent, just a few levels behind a straight sorcerer after all) but you will be very long lasting and consistent. If you play 5 minute adventuring day games I would recommend a Sorcerer/Paladin instead. It's very difficult to beat their Nova potential when built for optimization. If you even occasionally have casters run completely out of resources the Sorlock is the way to go.

Kane0
2019-08-21, 06:56 PM
Storm Herald Barbarian
Tempest Cleric
Land (Coast) Druid
Conquest Paladin
Beastmaster Ranger (dolphin!)
Swashbuckler Rogue
Storm Sorcerer
Kraken Warlock

Take your pick, what is the rest of the party?

Callin
2019-08-21, 06:57 PM
Buddy of mine played a Tempest Cleric and was captain of our Spelljammer. It actually made for a decent "Pirate"

PraxisVetli
2019-08-21, 11:07 PM
Well it really all depends on your table. After you playing with a group of high optimization players that will be upset if you're not perfectly optimized? Or are you playing with a group of people that is okay with you being of average optimization? A Sorlock can be one of the most highly optimized characters, and it can also be one of the least optimized characters. It all depends on what YOU want to do with it.

I see a lot of things that can tie into being a pirate about a Sorlock. Now I'm not familiar with either of those Subclasses, but from the base class you can do a lot of 'pirateish' things.

Warlock can give you Mask of Many Faces for the ultimate disguise on the fly. Good for infiltrating a ship or slipping something past customs (if that's a thing in your game) Eldritch Blast with Agonizing Blast invocation is a great ranged attack. 1d10+CHA increasing both in die size AND in charisma bonus as you get more beams at levels 5, 11, and 17.
Add on repelling blast and suddenly you get amazing at throwing people of the ship.

Sorcerer will give you some more spell slots that can be used on things like control water which can dramatically effect a naval engagement.

Again I can't stress enough that Sorlock can be one of the most powerful multiclass combinations. At level 5 you can quicken Eldritch Blasts once a day. If you have a 20 charisma that can be 4d10+20 damage with a 40 foot push (adding the repelling blast invocation) that's on par with a Fighter using their action surge. Yes the fighter can do this per short rest, but you also have 2 level 1 slots that refresh on short rest and 4 first and 2 second level slots that refresh on long rests. If you burn those Warlock short rest slots into sorcery points you ALSO can do this once per short rest, with an additional time per long rest.

My recommended progression is
Warlock 2 (Eldritch Blast with Agonizing Blast and 1 invocation of your choice)
Sorcerer 5 (At 3 you get metamagic, 4 gives you an ASI, and 5 gives you third level spells)
Warlock 3 or 4 (3 to get your pact bonus. I recommend Pact of the Tome and grabbing the ritual casting invocation or 4 for an additional ASI)
Sorcerer X if you're going for maximum damage potential.

With this progression you are a bit behind in spell level, but you can quicken Eldritch Blast and keep up with a fighter damage wise (at least close enough to be useful and a good contributor. Optimized fighter builds will out perform by a decent margin if all you do is use EB, but you still have leveled spells to use when needed) if you stick to 3 levels or less of Warlock you still get ninth level spells, granted only if you go all the way to 20. You'll never Nova very hard (but you can do decent, just a few levels behind a straight sorcerer after all) but you will be very long lasting and consistent. If you play 5 minute adventuring day games I would recommend a Sorcerer/Paladin instead. It's very difficult to beat their Nova potential when built for optimization. If you even occasionally have casters run completely out of resources the Sorlock is the way to go.

Group isn't terribly optimized, so if I can go hard, that'd be nice.
I know that sounds counterproductive to play, but the DM likes his encounters rough, so I and another usually help carry, which everyone's ok with. Means they can play whatever, you know?
Sorlock does sound fun, sounds very technical, and I do so love technical builds.
What Archetypes do you recommend?

Galithar
2019-08-21, 11:56 PM
Group isn't terribly optimized, so if I can go hard, that'd be nice.
I know that sounds counterproductive to play, but the DM likes his encounters rough, so I and another usually help carry, which everyone's ok with. Means they can play whatever, you know?
Sorlock does sound fun, sounds very technical, and I do so love technical builds.
What Archetypes do you recommend?

From a pure optimization standpoint a Hexblade Warlock with Pact of the Tome and Divine Soul Sorcerer. This needs at least one party member that would be extremely valuable to buff (Paladin or Barbarian are good for this)
Hexblade gives you some decent damage boosts, and despite the name they absolutely don't need to be melee oriented. You'll get medium armor and should proficiency from this which really helps with AC. Since you don't need a weapon I recommend an open hand and component pouch for casting spells.
Divine Soul gives you good spells for your low level slots. Bless is always good for a low level buff as well as opening things like Spiritual Weapon to allow bonus action attacking when you're not going all out and quickening EB or sprit guardians if you think you can handle being that close to the enemy. It also gives you an extra spell known that can be switched to Healing Word for that yoyo healing.

The main strategy for combat is a buff like Haste or Greater Invisibility for your party (twinned if possible) on turn one and then a quickened EB (if spell points allow and you need the damage. Don't sound resources you don't have to) round 2 use something like twinned Guiding Bolt to give advantage on attacks against 2 enemies as well as 4d6*2 damage followed by a quickened EB. Alternatively burn those low level slots to just quicken more EB.

It takes a lot of resource management, and knowing when to burn slots for sorcery points. But if you're up for it I recommend searching for a full guide on a Sorlock and then tweak the build to make it your own. I can of course answer more questions, but sometimes it's better to just get it all in one place.

Nidgit
2019-08-22, 12:53 AM
Gith make for excellent wizards, so if a pirate wizard sounds to your taste then Bladesinger, War Magic, Illusion, Necromancer, or Evoker all have some nice useful applications.

An evil Horizon Walker could potentially be a lot of fun, and someone else already mentioned Beastmaster as a good option.

Githzerai also make excellent Druids, if a Moon, Coast, or Spores Druid appeals to you.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-08-22, 02:49 AM
Actually, assuming I'm looking at the right Kraken Patron, I'm really impressed by it. This has the potential to be a very strong controller type character, especially combined with the Pact of the Appendage and the invocations I'm seeing presented alongside it. Impose disadvantage on melee attacks for every character within 5ft of you every time you cast Eldritch Blast? Attack up to 4 foes as a bonus action with an invocation, or grapple 2 without even needing an invocation? Advantage on grappling, and fling creatures of up to Large size up to 75 ft, for up to 7d6 damage? That's super cool, and unless my optimization meter is badly askew (which I won't rule out, as my experience with 5e is quite limited), really powerful, especially for the levels you get them at.

PraxisVetli
2019-08-22, 04:51 AM
Actually, assuming I'm looking at the right Kraken Patron, I'm really impressed by it. This has the potential to be a very strong controller type character, especially combined with the Pact of the Appendage and the invocations I'm seeing presented alongside it. Impose disadvantage on melee attacks for every character within 5ft of you every time you cast Eldritch Blast? Attack up to 4 foes as a bonus action with an invocation, or grapple 2 without even needing an invocation? Advantage on grappling, and fling creatures of up to Large size up to 75 ft, for up to 7d6 damage? That's super cool, and unless my optimization meter is badly askew (which I won't rule out, as my experience with 5e is quite limited), really powerful, especially for the levels you get them at.

That sounds totally different from the one I had..
Link?
I'll show my DM.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-08-22, 02:23 PM
PMed it to Prax, for anyone else that wants to check it out, it was the first result when I googled "Kraken Patron Warlock", on Giger's D&D.

PraxisVetli
2019-08-23, 09:28 AM
PMed it to Prax, for anyone else that wants to check it out, it was the first result when I googled "Kraken Patron Warlock", on Giger's D&D.

Yeah I'm definitely playing this, with Pact of the Blade.
We'll see how it goes, and if it's not powerful enough, I'll figure somethin else out.
But in the meantime, a whip and a bunch of tentacles sounds like it'll be a hoot.