PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Minotaur and Charger worth it?

FoxWolFrostFire
2019-08-21, 09:46 AM
Charger
When you use your action to Dash, you can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack or to shove a creature. If you move at least 10 feet in a straight line immediately before taking this bonus action, you either gain a +5 bonus to the attack’s damage roll (if you chose to make a melee attack and hit) or push the target up to 10 feet away from you (if you chose to shove and you succeed).

Goring Rush
Immediately after you use the Dash action on your turn and move at least 20 feet, you can make one melee attack with your horns as a bonus action

I like the idea of being the bull which bulled the most bully. But It just feels weird taking a feat to basically upgrade my racial.

Some more info. Battle Master(fighter) or Barbarian(Unsure of what type, Most likely Totem or Storm herald) What other feats should I maybe Condenser using Sentinel maybe?

LuccMa
2019-08-21, 10:02 AM
As i see it, the Charger feat is even worse on a minotaur because you get a bonus action attack after charging regardless. So Charger only gives you:

- Shove instead of attack
- +5 dmg on attack

That is... not good for a feat. And Charger wasn't great to begin with.

If you're playing in a homegame with an open DM, you could try to homebrew the Charger feat. At our table the feat reads:

- +1 Str
- If you use your action to dash, you can make a bonus action attack.
- If you move at least 20 feat in a straight line towards an opponent and hit him with your first attack, you inflict an additional 2d6 weapon damage and the opponent needs to succed on a Str-Save (against your Str Save DC) or be proned. (This happens even if you just use normal movement and don't take the charge action).

We are trying it out right now and it seems pretty sweet on our monk & barb, probably even worth it without the +1 Str.

But, feat as written? No. Just no.

Amechra
2019-08-21, 10:25 AM
As i see it, the Charger feat is even worse on a minotaur because you get a bonus action attack after charging regardless. So Charger only gives you:

- Shove instead of attack
- +5 dmg on attack

That is... not good for a feat. And Charger wasn't great to begin with.

If you're playing in a homegame with an open DM, you could try to homebrew the Charger feat. At our table the feat reads:

- +1 Str
- If you use your action to dash, you can make a bonus action attack.
- If you move at least 20 feat in a straight line towards an opponent and hit him with your first attack, you inflict an additional 2d6 weapon damage and the opponent needs to succed on a Str-Save (against your Str Save DC) or be proned. (This happens even if you just use normal movement and don't take the charge action).

We are trying it out right now and it seems pretty sweet on our monk & barb, probably even worth it without the +1 Str.

But, feat as written? No. Just no.

Charger works off 10ft of movement, Goring Charge requires 20ft. So that's another upgrade.

Still not great, but...

LudicSavant
2019-08-21, 10:53 AM
No. Still no.

Guy Lombard-O
2019-08-21, 12:00 PM
I was just noticing the interaction between the charger and mobile feats. Having both would let you move 10', bonus attack the target, and then move another (whatever your full dash is) past them without provoking an opportunity attack.

I'd imagine that the mobile feat would also pair fairly well with the Minotaur ability, especially for a kiting style of character?

PeteNutButter
2019-08-22, 06:09 AM
Be some sort of Gish or have a teammate regularly cast Haste on you and this becomes viable-ish. Haste action allows for dash, so you Haste action dash, bonus action gore, regular action attack. It basically swaps your haste attack for a dash and gives you the bonus action attack. All you're really gaining is the +5 from charge, or the option to shove 10 feet if there is hazardous terrain about.

It's not amazing, but its optimizing a concept. Maybe toss in cavalier to prone them when you rush in, giving you advantage on all the regular attacks. Or use battlemaster so you can trip much sooner but not as often.

JackPhoenix
2019-08-22, 05:26 PM
It's not a feat that "upgrade" your racial ability. It's a feat that completely replace your racial ability with better version. And it's still pretty bad feat even after that.

Kane0
2019-08-22, 05:55 PM
Charger as written is not a good feat. Is your DM open to changing it?

FoxWolFrostFire
2019-08-22, 09:32 PM
My DM isn't house ruling it at all. I just for one enjoy the charger feat, and was thinking it might have a place in the minotaur. Starting to look like I was dead wrong. Since it is just basically an upgrade to my racial.