PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 5e Charles Manson as a DND Villain

nakedonmyfoldin
2019-08-21, 10:12 AM
Just want to start by saying I do not glorify or revere Manson for anything he's done - he's a villain.

However, I like to use real world people and places to inspire my DnD games. I wanted to create a charismatic villain with a magnetic personality much in the air of Manson for a small low-level arc. Someone who is the direct cause of murder and mayhem, but who rarely gets their own hands dirty.

How would you build this villain? To me, Bard is the easiest parallel. Instead of music, he gives long drawn out speeches. Is there another class anyone would use? And which subtype of Bard would be thematically appropriate.

Any tips for setting up encounters surrounding this villain, or roleplaying them?

Thank you in advance!

IsaacsAlterEgo
2019-08-21, 12:46 PM
I would recommend keeping it several levels removed from real life though as he was around not too long ago, so people might still have unpleasant memories of those times or find it insensitive. Not saying it is, but the possibility is there, so I would make sure to use Manson as a broad inspiration Especially avoid any comparison to the real life murders

Anyway, to the meat of it: College of Glamour bard seems to be a good fit, since it would give him the power to enthrall an audience and force them to do his bidding. You could maybe even have him use that ability on the adventurers themselves; nothing like being temporarily mind controlled to give them a good reason to want him dead. Lots of spells like Suggestion and Charm Person work well. Lots of brainwashed minions for the party to have to chrew through before they can confront Not-Manson himself. Once they do reach him, I think the fight would be basically over.

You could also have him be working up to cause some sort of war, much like the real Manson, if you want to draw that parallel. People like that have a vastly inflated sense of self importance and like they can affect grand sweeping societal change, so some sort of "I'll pit the elves and humans against each other, and then the elves will make me a king!" plan could work... Just be careful what real life groups you compare to fictional groups in game, because that could definitely end up sending a bad message.

Finieous
2019-08-21, 01:59 PM
Commoner or thug with a high Charisma, proficiency in Deception, Insight, Intimidation, Persuasion. Chaotic evil.

Manson was an unemployed ex-con. He didn't have magic powers. A villain who can inspire other horrible people to do horrible things is more disturbing than yet-another-evil-magic-user IMHO.

ImproperJustice
2019-08-21, 02:11 PM
Gonna pile on with others that Bard is the way to go.

It’s a great class for swaying public opinion, and there are few things more terrifying than a mob or a false idea.
One brings up ethical questions of harming innocents (misguided though they may be), the other could become entrenched enough in a society that it can take generations to eradicate.

The few times we have had bards as villains they have been terrifying.

One worked as a truster assistant to a town official and manipulated police and community goodwill.

Another presented herself as a prophet, and arranged for a few “predictions” to take place in her favor and then gained the ear of an honorable Monarch. She then implicated the Heroes in crimes against the crown and had them on the run for a significant portion of a campaign.

Then there was another who simply took the deeds of our heroes and credited them in song to another faction.
We would walk into a tavern and here the folks praising the deeds of another band of adventurers (the face of a political group) in rousing table song.

We would try to argue otherwise, but how do you dispute the #1 single song requested in every tavern throughout the countryside?

Sigreid
2019-08-21, 02:12 PM
Like with most cult leaders he'd be a bard using magic, drugs and mind games to keep followers dependent on him.

EndlessKng
2019-08-21, 04:15 PM
Alternative direction (though bard does work): Enchantment wizard. Can still have a high charisma and skilsl for it (and dip into bard if you like), but the focus would change to the effects of enchantment spells over speeches. Makes for a more involved villain, depending on needs.

A less mystical version could be the Mastermind rogue, for coordinating groups.

Both could potentially be MC options for a bard as well, IMO.

nakedonmyfoldin
2019-08-21, 09:50 PM
Thanks y’all! Yeah I’ll definitely keep the specific details out of the game, but just wanted to use one sociopath as a mold for my sociopath.

Spacehamster
2019-08-22, 03:24 AM
Probably just a rogue with expertise in deception and persuasion, 16-18 CHA.

Randomthom
2019-08-22, 04:53 AM
Glamour Bard, seriously, just read their llv 3 & 6 abilities... It's tailor made for this sort of thing (on a villain).

Fun side note, I know Charles Manson's Grand-niece.

Gryndle
2019-08-22, 06:47 AM
also, don't forget to make him a gutless little Halfling. Seriously, while his effect on others was astonishing, he was a pathetic specimen himself

nakedonmyfoldin
2019-08-22, 07:41 AM
also, don't forget to make him a gutless little Halfling. Seriously, while his effect on others was astonishing, he was a pathetic specimen himself

Oh yeah, if his attempts at charms fail and his minions don't look like they're doing well, he will basically pee his pants and run deeper into his hideout.

What magic items might this guy carry? Against a level 3 party might I add.