PDA

View Full Version : How to make a Death Knight

Nagog
2019-08-21, 10:18 AM
Hey all! As the title suggests, I'm looking for some help in creating a Death Knight. I'd prefer to use something like Paladin due to the religious and spellcasting bend (also I like Paladins), but I'm open to pretty much anything. I'm making them as a PC with point-buy, and as with the martial class, I'm flexible on race but leaning a bit towards Dragonborn.

saucerhead
2019-08-21, 10:33 AM
Well, it would depend on a couple things. By death knight, do you mean evil? Also, which is closer to the heart of it: War (as in like a war cleric in abilities and path) or Death? (as in like a grave cleric in abilities and path)

You like paladins, which are cool, but there appears to me to be only one that fits: Conquest. Unless you are also looking at the Oath-breaker.

Nagog
2019-08-21, 10:36 AM
Well, it would depend on a couple things. By death knight, do you mean evil? Also, which is closer to the heart of it: War (as in like a war cleric in abilities and path) or Death? (as in like a grave cleric in abilities and path)

You like paladins, which are cool, but there appears to me to be only one that fits: Conquest. Unless you are also looking at the Oath-breaker.

Not necessarily Evil (TBH I'm not a fan of enforced alignment), but I'm looking for a Nercomancy based martial or half-caster, or martial with spallcasting multiclass, something of that sort. I'd go Eldritch Knight but the spell school restrictions limit how much the actual Death Knight flavor actually manifests.

saucerhead
2019-08-21, 11:02 AM
Well, then I would be looking more at a Conquest paladin, but instead of going with a wizard-necromancer multiclass, needing points into Intelligence, look at warlock and stick with Charisma. You could do great with hexblade, staying with the martial benefits and eventually raising specters. The other option would be pact of the Tome, giving you a book of shadows.

You take Ritual Caster feat it you want more spell choices, but still have to be careful on which spellcaster class you choose, due to the ability requirements.

stoutstien
2019-08-21, 11:02 AM
Not necessarily Evil (TBH I'm not a fan of enforced alignment), but I'm looking for a Nercomancy based martial or half-caster, or martial with spallcasting multiclass, something of that sort. I'd go Eldritch Knight but the spell school restrictions limit how much the actual Death Knight flavor actually manifests.
Divine soul with a dip in pally can do it. Instead of blowing spell on smite you can summon undead minions and buff them. Bonus if DM allows oath breaker from DMG.

Callin
2019-08-21, 11:18 AM
What mechanical benefits do you want? Heavy Armor? As close to SAD as possible? What saves do you want? What Role do you want to fill, dps or tankish?

Nagog
2019-08-21, 11:23 AM
What mechanical benefits do you want? Heavy Armor? As close to SAD as possible? What saves do you want? What Role do you want to fill, dps or tankish?

TBH I don't really know/care currently. I'm going for more of a narrative feel than a mechanical one, so whichever build feels more Death Knight-y.

GooeyChewie
2019-08-21, 11:26 AM
If you are playing a home game, you could ask the DM if you could play Paladin and substitute necrotic damage for anything you do which would cause radiant damage. As others have said, Oath of Conquest fits best. I think some refluff on the Oath of Vengeance tenants would work as well.

Bobthewizard
2019-08-21, 11:43 AM
If you are playing a home game, you could ask the DM if you could play Paladin and substitute necrotic damage for anything you do which would cause radiant damage. As others have said, Oath of Conquest fits best. I think some refluff on the Oath of Vengeance tenants would work as well.

I like the idea of having Divine smite be necrotic. Oathbreaker fits an undead commanding knight perfectly, though, if your DM allows it for a PC. Control Undead, Dreadful Aspect and Aura of Hate are the epitome of a death knight.

Straight Oathbreaker works well, but if you want more spells and you have the stats for it, you could switch out after level 7 to either Death domain cleric or necromancy wizard.

Spiritchaser
2019-08-21, 11:47 AM
straight oathbreaker seems pretty good here.
Oathbreaker/Divine soul sorcerer (choose appropriate standard issue dark-and-hungry-god of choice)
Oathbreaker/warlock (functionally, hexblade works well enough)

A conquest paladin would also be fine, but lacks some of the undead-ness. It’s a bit tough to add that back in as I personally find conquest to be a pain to MC (excepting possibly a small hexblade dip which might be better)