PDA

View Full Version : Umm, my wizard became a ghost :0

Bjarkmundur
2019-08-21, 10:37 AM
I'm guessing the only way to connect him back into his gently reposed body is Wish, or non-mechancial story-based magic?

Xihirli
2019-08-21, 10:48 AM
Have you tried just flying into your body and using Raise Dead?

ProsecutorGodot
2019-08-21, 10:52 AM
I don't see how simply raising your body wouldn't solve the issue. Normally you only turn into a ghost when you have unfinished business, it would be a lot easier to finish that business if you were alive.

What happened to turn you into a ghost? Knowing the circumstances of that would be pretty helpful.

PhantomSoul
2019-08-21, 10:55 AM
Have you tried just flying into your body and using Raise Dead?

Assuming the Ghost is a normal enough Ghost that it's Undead, Raise Dead won't work:

You return a dead creature you touch to life, provided that it has been dead no longer than 10 days. If the creature’s soul is both willing and at liberty to rejoin the body, the creature returns to life with 1 hit point.
This spell also neutralizes any poisons and cures nonmagical diseases that affected the creature at the time it died. This spell doesn’t, however, remove magical diseases, curses, or similar effects; if these aren’t first removed prior to casting the spell, they take effect when the creature returns to life. The spell can’t return an undead creature to life.
This spell closes all mortal wounds, but it doesn’t restore missing body parts. If the creature is lacking body parts or organs integral for its survival—its head, for instance—the spell automatically fails.
Coming back from the dead is an ordeal. The target takes a −4 penalty to all attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks. Every time the target finishes a long rest, the penalty is reduced by 1 until it disappears.
(Emphasis mine)

ProsecutorGodot
2019-08-21, 11:05 AM
Assuming the Ghost is a normal enough Ghost that it's Undead, Raise Dead won't work
The more pressing part is concerning the soul. The body isn't undead, the soul has become a form of undead. It's unclear whether it would make the soul unable to rejoin the body but I don't see how they could be unwilling if it would bring them closer to finishing the unresolved issue that made their soul a ghost to begin with.

Body = Good, not undead.
Soul = Unclear

Killing the ghost should make it so that the soul is free.

Dessunri
2019-08-21, 11:07 AM
yeah, a little more context would be nice; but, i see no reason why someone couldn't cast revivify on you considering that 'becoming a ghost' isn't typically a thing in D&D. if your DM made it a thing then there's got to be a way to reunite your body with your spirit.

PhantomSoul
2019-08-21, 11:21 AM
The more pressing part is concerning the soul. The body isn't undead, the soul has become a form of undead. It's unclear whether it would make the soul unable to rejoin the body but I don't see how they could be unwilling if it would bring them closer to finishing the unresolved issue that made their soul a ghost to begin with.

Body = Good, not undead.
Soul = Unclear

Killing the ghost should make it so that the soul is free.

I was imagining the ghost would have to be killed, yeah (just going into the body couldn't do anything as far as I can tell, and if it were Wish I'd probably have the soul possess its old body based on most formulations of the Wish, rather than having the character actually be revivified; it seems like the most straightforward path to a lot of the possible phrasings and the ghost going into the body only makes that seem more true!)

Of course, personally, I'd probably have the most fun with that outcome (looks alive but actually possessing your own body), so maybe I'm biased.

Of course, maybe possession is already possible, especially if there's some change to how possession works at 0 HP (if the regular Ghost stat block applies at all):

Possession (Recharge 6). One humanoid that the ghost can see within 5 ft. of it must succeed on a DC 13 Charisma saving throw or be possessed by the ghost; the ghost then disappears, and the target is incapacitated and loses control of its body. The ghost now controls the body but doesn't deprive the target of awareness. The ghost can't be targeted by any attack, spell, or other effect, except ones that turn undead, and it retains its alignment, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma, and immunity to being charmed and frightened. It otherwise uses the possessed target's statistics, but doesn't gain access to the target's knowledge, class features, or proficiencies. The possession lasts until the body drops to 0 hit points, the ghost ends it as a bonus action, or the ghost is turned or forced out by an effect like the dispel evil and good spell. When the possession ends, the ghost reappears in an unoccupied space within 5 ft. of the body. The target is immune to this ghost's Possession for 24 hours after succeeding on the saving throw or after the possession ends.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-08-21, 11:37 AM
I mean, Wish seems reasonable, but you're well outside the written rules at this point-- the GM made it happen for plot, so it'll take plot to undo it.

Bjarkmundur
2019-08-21, 11:50 AM
Hopefully all ends well.

RP wise, what's it like? Being a part of the ethereal plane? Do you think I get any special abilities once I 'plot' my body back? I know that's for my DM to answer, I was just wondering what kind of powers are iconic for the ethereal plane ^^

Dessunri
2019-08-21, 01:23 PM
Hopefully all ends well.

RP wise, what's it like? Being a part of the ethereal plane? Do you think I get any special abilities once I 'plot' my body back? I know that's for my DM to answer, I was just wondering what kind of powers are iconic for the ethereal plane ^^

I mean, Blink for starters but you already get access to that as a Wizard. Maybe the ability to see into the ethereal plain up to 60 or 120 feet? Advantage on death saving throws?

firelistener
2019-08-21, 02:00 PM
Hopefully all ends well.

I'd probably give you a weak True Sight up to 30ft or so.

Bjarkmundur
2019-08-21, 02:41 PM
Why do you think an ex-ethereal soul has increased resistance to going back there? I'm curious.
Wait, ghosts have truesight? What does 'see into the ethereal' mean?
I know very little about dnd 'lore' ^^"

Dessunri
2019-08-21, 02:54 PM
Why do you think an ex-ethereal soul has increased resistance to going back there? I'm curious.
Wait, ghosts have truesight? What does 'see into the ethereal' mean?
I know very little about dnd 'lore' ^^"

I don't have a Monster Manual nearby, so I don't know for sure if ghosts have truesight; but, since you asked what type of benefits might you gain from spending time in the ethereal it would make sense to give you that benefit since you spent time there. Also, when you cast the blink spell you planeshift to the ethereal plane when it's not your turn in combat so giving you blink as a free spell 1/long rest would be something I'd consider giving you if I were your DM.

JackPhoenix
2019-08-21, 03:47 PM
True Resurrection works, no need to jump through any hoops.

Âmesang
2019-08-21, 05:45 PM
Whatever you do, don't contact Dr. McNinja…

Particle_Man
2019-08-21, 06:12 PM
Until you can get a True Resurrection, a combination of Gentle Repose, Animate Object and Magic Mouth/Ghost Sounds/Major Image should get a lot done. :smallbiggrin: