PDA

View Full Version : Would a Genocidal Hunter go after someone who's only 1/4th his "Target Type"???

BlueWitch
2019-08-21, 03:38 PM
Weird question, I know, but basically:

Let's say there is a hunter. He wants to kill off all Orcs.

Would he bother going after a dude that was only a Quarter Orc?

That's less than half. But it's still part Orc. But it also seems petty.

Would his alignment be a factor? I'm thinking Lawful/Evil won't bother, but Chaotic/Evil will.

Gnaeus
2019-08-21, 04:51 PM

Would his alignment be a factor? I'm thinking Lawful/Evil won't bother, but Chaotic/Evil will.

We can’t really discuss real life genocidal folks, but all indications point to yes.

It’s primarily likely to be a question of whether he hates them less than his main target because diluted, or more because they are “corrupting another race”. I can’t see the law/chaos axis playing much role.

Gallowglass
2019-08-21, 04:53 PM

Once you already have the personality type "genocidal" logic no longer factors into your decision making. I would think he'd kill off anyone who even looked vaguely like an orc.

John05
2019-08-21, 05:13 PM
I figure the Lawful genocidal types are more likely to be meticulous and systematic about it.

I.e. If a very lawful genocidal tyrant decides "Everyone with 50% or more Orc blood in them shall be killed," then they'll also have casters or magical items that can determine lies and ancestry as well as laws requiring people registering their ancestry.

Chaotic types might kill you for having "some Orc blood in you, whatever that amount is, whatever...", but they'd be less likely to be organized about it. If you catch the chaotic genocidal one in a bad mood, they might kill you if you have 0.1% Orc ancestry, just for fun.

If I wanted a successful, complete genocide, I'm more likely to trust a lawful person to get the job done well.

Particle_Man
2019-08-21, 06:06 PM
The Familicide spell in the OOTS comic points to "Yes".

The Viscount
2019-08-21, 06:31 PM
I'm going to say it might depend on how he's selecting targets. If he's scanning via something like Detect Favored Enemy, then I would say this depends on whether a quarter orc still has the orc subtype. I'd guess no.

If he's going based solely off of appearances, and assuming he also goes after half orcs, then it would probably vary based on how much orcish heritage shows.

Zaq
2019-08-21, 09:11 PM
What does it cost this character to go after this target?

BlueWitch
2019-08-21, 09:31 PM
What does it cost this character to go after this target?

Probably just time and effort. The Quarter Orc guy isn't helpless or a Commoner.

@Everyone else:
Thanks for your guys' input! I enjoyed reading these answers! ^^

Karl Aegis
2019-08-21, 11:50 PM
I see one of those I kill it.

If I don't see it I leave it alone. Out of sight, out of mind. Simple.

reddir
2019-08-22, 07:58 AM
I remember hearing the old racist stadard being “more than 1/8th”, for who to discriminate against. Maybe that fits?

ezekielraiden
2019-08-22, 08:03 AM
Depends. I could see it going either way. Some might justify killing a "quarter-orc" as "one of your grandparents was an orc, and the other three were orc-lovers, or raised one." Others might stop short--"you're more human than orc, you'll figure it out in the end." Or, as others have said above, it could be contextual. "Stay outta my way, and I won't need to eliminate you."

Everything from "you represent the hope that something *good* of the orcs might survive!" to "tearful with repeated apologies for Doing What They Have To" to pure kill-on-sight is possible here.

False God
2019-08-22, 08:26 AM
If he was truly genocidal, and he knew that Potential Target was part orc, I would say yes.

Alignment only matters insomuch as would it limit them. Does the law say you can kill 100% orcs but not partial orcs? The evil part clearly doesn't play a role here since we can be sure he's already pretty darn evil. So we're really just asking if in this guy's mind if X% orc <100 is still just as worth killing as 100% orc.

I'd say he could be any of lawful, neutral or chaotic evil.