PDA

View Full Version : Guide to play the melee bladesinger

Whit
2019-08-21, 03:39 PM
Don’t forget that even though your a bladesinger who wants to melee, you have full wizard spell access and can affect the battle with spells until it’s time to melee

Armor Class: mage armor 13+Dex. + intelligence modifier with bladesong
Light armor.. 12+ dex+ intelligence modifier with bladesong.
16 dexterity and 16 intelligence
Mage armor without song 16 with song 19 and can improve
Light armor 15 without. 18 with song and can improve.
At 18 intelligence and 18 dexterity with song and mage armor, you’re fighting with an AC 21! Not including shield spell if needed.
Add spell defense. Shield +5 entire round.
Blur = disadvantage on attacks against you.
Invisibility. You gain advantage on attacks. Enemy gain disadvantage on attacks.

note your intelligence and dexterity increases are priority for AC initiative attack and damage and spell casting and dc.

Bladesong:

While your Bladesong is active, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus to your AC equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1).

• Your walking speed increases by 10 feet.

• You have advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks.

• You gain a bonus to any Constitution saving throw you make to maintain your concentration on a spell. The bonus equals your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1).

You can use this feature twice. You regain all expended uses of it when you finish a short or long rest.

Race high elf or 1/ 2 elf (wood) varient
Elf gets +1 to dex over 1/2 elf , perception, free cantrip. 1/2 elf wood gets +5 movement. You can learn more about that extra movement down below

I don’t choose drow as disadvantage in daylight can interfere but can be an option.
Don’t forget always keep that rapier because you may use it over the spell below for weaker foes.

Combat spells.
No concentration
Cantrips. Booming blade, Green flame blade.
Level 1.Mage armor, shield,
Level 2. misty step, mirror image
Level 3 blink
Concentration
Level 2 Invisibility(one shot), blur
Level 3 haste
Level 4 greater invisibility

Before you get lvl 6 - 2 attacks you use your cantrips to enhance your melee damage. However early levels you are pretty weak so make sure your defense spells are up and decide if range attack is better.

Your bread and butter melee attack will be the following but since it’s concentration you cannot use the above concentration spells.
Shadowblade
Level: 2
Casting time: 1 Bonus Action
Range: Self
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You weave together threads of shadow to create a sword of solidified gloom in your hand. This magic sword lasts until the spell ends. It counts as a simple melee weapon with which you are proficient. It deals 2d8 psychic damage on a hit and has the finesse, light, and thrown properties (range 20/60). In addition, when you use the sword to attack a target that is in dim light or darkness, you make the attack roll with advantage.
If you drop the weapon or throw it, it dissipates at the end of the turn. Thereafter, while the spell persists, you can use a bonus action to cause the sword to reappear in your hand.

At higher level

When you cast this spell using a 3rd- or 4th-level spell slot, the damage increases to 3d8. When you cast it using a 5th- or 6th-level spell slot, the damage increases to 4d8. When you cast it using a spell slot of 7th level or higher, the damage increases to 5d8.

Always upgrade your shadow blade according to the encounter. Does it merit the spell, and if so, at what spell upgrade?

Finesse, light , meets the dexterity attack and damage stat. 16 dex +3/+3. 18 +5/+5.
* not positive that your stats effect the spell or if you use spell attack to hit and no bonus damage however it is a weapon. Either way it’s amazing or more amazing

Psychic damage means 99.9% no resistance for enemies.

Advantage in dim light or darkness. Guess what? You have dark vision. Dim light is your friend.

Upgrading. You don’t have much 7-9 lvl spells and you probably can cast something better. Like a wish or true poly to a dragon. However that lvl 7 is a 5d8 per attack and you attack twice a round. And at higher level campaigns fireball lighting bolt ice storm Etc might not work so well vs fiends. Or high save 1:2 damage foes.

Side note of spell overlooked:
If you drop the weapon or throw it, it dissipates at the end of the turn. Thereafter, while the spell persists, you can use a bonus action to cause the sword to reappear in your hand. In other words, range attack it if you want, or run in attack run out make it leave and use your hands for anything else and bonus action it back.

Now let’s get to defense non spells.
The greater your intelligence and dexterity the better you are. However there are a few options for you. Besides blink shield misty step out of combat after you hit, to get away from a big damage dealer or a group of swings. You can run away. But that gives them opportunity attacks.

the feat mobile.
Your speed increases by 10 feet.
• When you use the Dash action, difficult terrain doesn’t cost you extra movement on that turn.
• When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don’t provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not. Extra 10 feet movement add 5 more if your 1/2 elf wood 45 ft to run in, attack, and run out. Each and every time. Which saves using a lot of your non concentration defense spells.

Resilience feat. Constitution to keep that shadowblade or any other concentration spell up

Another option would be to multi rogue 2 levels. And get
Cunning Action
Starting at 2nd level, your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.
Basically doing the same thing as mobile feat but as a rogue you will get backstab for an extra 1d6 damage on 1 hit.

That’s a 2 attack 5d8 +1d6 once attack backstab most likely dim light advantage on attacks then acrobatic my butt far out of combat in style and melee range.

For more attacking you could dip into fighter

In fact if you go level 1 fighter first you get strength and Constitution!! Bonus and start at higher hit points. That would protect you concentration spells.
Level 1 gets you A. Attack style. Duelist adds +2 damage per attack or if your wearing any armor. Defense +1 armor class B. Second wind healing.
Level 2. I would wait after lvl 6 blade so you would be lvl 8. Action surge. Once per short/ long rest get your attacks again. WOW.
Let my bladesinger with mirror image and a
2-5d8 shadowblade attack 2 times then action surge for another 2 attacks. A level 7 slot just made me a whopping 4 attacks 5d8 psychic damage with a high chance of dim light advantage on attacks and then let my non concentration spells protect me.
Or maybe I just want to cast 2 spells in 1 round. Cast an action spell then action surge and cast another.

Another option but the weakest and I don’t recommend is going 1/2 elf and using that charisma dump stat is for 1 or 2 levels into hexblade. What you get isn’t worth it. Devil sight darkness hinders group. Hex blade curse gives crit 19-20. You won’t use charisma for attacks. It could be theatrical. If you want.

Whit
2019-08-21, 04:55 PM
Added some armor class basics.

RSP
2019-08-21, 10:30 PM
Afb but pretty sure you can’t use a shield while Bladesinging.

Whit
2019-08-21, 10:53 PM
Your right. I can take it out and my guide was not to have one. Thanks fir catching it. Hope the info looks good

Whit
2019-08-22, 07:10 PM
The hit and run tactic gives the bladesinger melee capacity and reducing the chance of being a target each round of combat. Yet if targeted, the high AC potential reduces the chance to be hit.
I think of the elven bladesinger as a hit and run gorilla warfare tactic or the Warhamner 40k banshees weak in health but quick in an out combat