PDA

View Full Version : What will Curly do?

pendell
2019-08-21, 04:00 PM
"Curly" being the nickname of the last surviving vampire in the existing strip (1175 and up).

Hel seems to be investing a lot of hope in this one vampire who will go out and recruit a legion of vampires and spawn to do this all over again.

I'm watching the character and, assuming she isn't dusted at Hilgya's hands in the near future, I'm just not seeing the possibilities in the character. She seems a bit cowardly and timid, not the charismatic leader type.

How does that work, anyway? The vampire-spirit has stats based on the original host. If the original host had extremely low values, would the vampire also be mediocre to below average? Can a timorous host really give rise to a courageous and charismatic leader?

I'm just not seeing how Curly is going to pull any of this off, given she's been the first to run from every encounter we've seen her in, thus far. Is she the Rincewind of Vampires?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Squire Doodad
2019-08-21, 04:02 PM
...trip on Hilgya's Flame Strike?

That seems to be the most likely path if she tries to do anything Hel wants.

The MunchKING
2019-08-21, 04:11 PM
How does that work, anyway? The vampire-spirit has stats based on the original host. If the original host had extremely low values, would the vampire also be mediocre to below average?

Yup. "Just a bit under average" can be compensated for with the boost the Vampire Template gives, but for the most part it's "Bad Stats in, Bad stats out". :smallbiggrin:

The Pilgrim
2019-08-21, 04:18 PM
Get a haircut.

Squire Doodad
2019-08-21, 04:20 PM
Yup. "Just a bit under average" can be compensated for with the boost the Vampire Template gives, but for the most part it's "Bad Stats in, Bad stats out". :smallbiggrin:

"Templates are just a trick to make weak NPCs stronger"

DavidBV
2019-08-21, 04:22 PM
Well, Elan would say that she's practically immortal at this point. If Rich intended to kill her it would have happened when Hel said "I still have one vampire left" for more dramatic effect. Or at any rate, while Hel watches her die... which has become highly unlikely; Hel's gonna be giving shingles to old people, hopefully off-panel too. Knowing as we do that this book is about to end, and with Hel out of the scene, my guess is she's not gonna reappear until book seven.

Schroeswald
2019-08-21, 04:24 PM
Well, Elan would say that she's practically immortal at this point. If Rich intended to kill her it would have happened when Hel said "I still have one vampire left" for more dramatic effect. Or at any rate, while Hel watches her die... which has become highly unlikely; Hel's gonna be giving shingles to old people, hopefully off-panel too. Knowing as we do that this book is about to end, and with Hel out of the scene, my guess is she's not gonna reappear until book seven.

She's gonna reappear, because she's right in front of Hilgya and I can't imagine you arguing that she won't return before next book.

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-21, 04:25 PM
Two thoughts:

1. She escapes and eventually creates vampires Moe, Larry, and Shemp.

2. Hilgya torches her with a flame strike.

I like option 2 better.

Schroeswald
2019-08-21, 04:30 PM
I'm a big fan of the Hilgya and Curly team up, Curly starts taking levels in rogue (IDK, her build seems better for that), and then they form their own Evil adventuring party and fade into the sunset theory.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-21, 04:30 PM
She's gonna reappear, because she's right in front of Hilgya and I can't imagine you arguing that she won't return before next book.

We don't know that she's anywhere near Hilgya. She passed her in the hall. Likely she's somewhere with nobody else around. And it's not like Hilgya is at all invested in what's happening now that she's away from Sigdi.

2.5 cats
2019-08-21, 05:24 PM
My $ is on her running off to a good hiding place. The dwarves will feel compelled to go all in to hunt her down before she starts creating spawn, and thus won't be able to help the OotS.

Riftwolf
2019-08-21, 05:47 PM
I'm guessing she's too low level for the encounter if she runs into the Order or Hilgya, but not as an opportunist in dwarven society. She'll probably ignore Hel's demands to single handedly jump-start the whole campaign, get her cleric powers revoked, and have to retrain in the vampire-friendly prestige class 'Tormented Sexy Loner'.

Snails
2019-08-21, 06:27 PM
I'm guessing she's too low level for the encounter if she runs into the Order or Hilgya, but not as an opportunist in dwarven society. She'll probably ignore Hel's demands to single handedly jump-start the whole campaign, get her cleric powers revoked, and have to retrain in the vampire-friendly prestige class 'Tormented Sexy Loner'.

It is a fun build, but, given her personality, Curly does not yet meet the prereqs for that PrC, which includes the Brooding feat.

Brooding [General]
Benefit:
You get +2 on Sense Motive checks.
You get a +2 bonus on all Saving throws against Charm and Compulsion spells and spell-like effects, unless the source of the spell or spell-like effect has the Brooding feat.

Goblin_Priest
2019-08-21, 06:33 PM
Get dusted.

DavidBV
2019-08-22, 06:06 AM

She is past uninvolved-Hilgya, not in front of her. And she's well-past the OoTS.

If the Giant was going to kill her, he'd have done it while Hel watched. I mean, seriously, it'd be a little pointless to just kill her now instead of adding her death to Hel's grievances before her tantrum. :elan:

Maybe the end of the story requires a new Godsmoot and she'll play a role there.

Jaxzan Proditor
2019-08-22, 06:32 AM
My guess is that if anything important happens with the vampire, it’ll happen now. Since we’re wrapping up this book, and I don’t see them playing an important role in the next one, I’m guessing either Hilgya defeats her, or she escapes off to be another story‘s problem. I’d put more money on defeat, however.

elosga
2019-08-22, 06:59 AM
My guess is that if anything important happens with Curly, it’ll happen now. Since we’re wrapping up this book, and I don’t see them playing an important role in the next one, I’m guessing either Hilgya defeats her, or she escapes off to be another story‘s problem. I’d put more money on defeat, however.

Given the personality of the Curly he is a fun build but Hilgya will defeat her

D.One
2019-08-22, 07:46 AM
As for Hilgya dusting, burning or some other form of destroying Curly*, I really think she's more of the "Oh, there's a weak vamp over there. Whatever. Not my problem" mindset.

I'm a big fan of the Hilgya and Curly team up, Curly starts taking levels in rogue (IDK, her build seems better for that), and then they form their own Evil adventuring party and fade into the sunset theory.

Fading into the sunset can have unintended consequences for Curly*...:smallbiggrin:

Schroeswald
2019-08-22, 07:47 AM
As for Hilgya dusting, burning or some other form of destroying Curly*, I really think she's more of the "Oh, there's a weak vamp over there. Whatever. Not my problem" mindset.

Fading into the sunset can have unintended consequences for Curly*...:smallbiggrin:

She can fade into the dusk then.

Emanick
2019-08-22, 09:00 AM
The Giant had Hilgya show up to the fight for a reason. Helping out can't have been the whole reason - she didn't really contribute anything important to the battle, at least not from a story perspective, and she's too important a character to include in a sequence without more justification. She would have had to stay longer if the whole reason for including her was so she could complete her arc at the battle. Instead, she left early - so it must be important that she did so.

That likely means she's going to encounter Curly, rather than just notice the mist drifting by (we don't know how close she is, but probably not that far away). And I don't expect an instant dusting, because that'd be boring. Instead, something interesting is likely to happen. I don't know what it is - a complete team-up seems like it would be against Loki's teachings, but Hilgya is due to do something else surprising by the end of the book. What that will be is probably as unpredictable as the table being split, but it might involve something like a detente, or Hilgya and the vampire forming some kind of agreement, maybe involving what the vampire knows about the Gates (assuming it knows anything, which is entirely possible but by no means certain).

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-22, 09:58 AM
Hilgya showing up was the point. It showed the extent to which Sigdi had established dominance over her. Notice Ms Firehelm skipped the round Sigdi was out of sight.

hroþila
2019-08-22, 10:04 AM
Hilgya showing up was the point. It showed the extent to which Sigdi had established dominance over her. Notice Ms Firehelm skipped the round Sigdi was out of sight.
It's pretty adventurous to say what the point was and was not before the scene and the arc are over. If it was meant to show Sigdi's dominance over her, it wasn't emphasized at all and it was undermined by Hilgya's very act of leaving, whether or not Sigdi saw it. Personally I'm not sure Hilgya was there so that she could interact with Curly as an extension of Loki's interaction with Hel (maybe Hilgya was there just for the sake of the joke where she left, who knows?), but it's certainly a distinct possibility.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-22, 10:27 AM
Hilgya's actions in this Round are a: being indirectly threatened by Sigdi b: Flame Striking some elementals and c: booking it as soon as Sigdi was gone. With maybe a dozen pages left in Utterly Dwarfed, there isn't room for much else now.

Schroeswald
2019-08-22, 10:52 AM
Hilgya's actions in this Round are a: being indirectly threatened by Sigdi b: Flame Striking some elementals and c: booking it as soon as Sigdi was gone. With maybe a dozen pages left in Utterly Dwarfed, there isn't room for much else now.

She could do quite a few things that would all take about a page, maybe Sigdi locks her up, maybe she kills Curly, maybe she teams up with her, maybe she’s ordered North, maybe she hops on the Mechane, she may leave with Kudzu, who knows, but she won’t just vanish.

Gift Jeraff
2019-08-22, 10:58 AM
Get a job as a carpenter to expedite the construction of the new table, wacky slapstick antics pursue, Curly's heart gets poked with a pointy piece of wood.

D.One
2019-08-22, 02:32 PM
Curly*, the Brave Vampire, will escape, and for an undead group along Eugene, the Friendly Ghost, and Thog, The Schrodinger's Half-Orc.

The Pilgrim
2019-08-22, 03:38 PM
Brave Curly Hair ran away
Bravely ran away away
When danger reared her ugly head
She bravely turned her tail and fled
Yes, brave Curly Hair turned about
And gallantly she chickened out
Bravely taking to her feet
She beat a very brave retreat
Bravest of the brave, Curly Hair!

Someone had to do it.

Worldsong
2019-08-22, 03:59 PM
I'm inclined to say "Die".

Squire Doodad
2019-08-22, 04:28 PM
Bravely ran away away

Someone had to do it.

Encore! Encore!

Snails
2019-08-22, 05:45 PM
It's pretty adventurous to say what the point was and was not before the scene and the arc are over. If it was meant to show Sigdi's dominance over her, it wasn't emphasized at all and it was undermined by Hilgya's very act of leaving, whether or not Sigdi saw it. Personally I'm not sure Hilgya was there so that she could interact with Curly as an extension of Loki's interaction with Hel (maybe Hilgya was there just for the sake of the joke where she left, who knows?), but it's certainly a distinct possibility.

I am going with being adventurous.

I hold that Hilgya's ultimate fate would be decided by her choices, and that the one more key moment would come where she would Evolve or Die.

It think the moment just passed, and she failed the test.

Hilgya could have grumbled and hung in the back of this fight. Instead she specifically chose to ignore and/or not care about the fate of the world, which so happens to include her child, and just walk out because she just felt like it. Hilgya did not even bother to think through the fact that there may not be time to reach Kudzu and Plane Shift away -- after the vote is complete the destruction of the world could easily be a few minutes away. We do not know for sure, but neither does Hilgya.

She feels more comfortable alone.

Unfortunately for her, alone is very dangerous with a vampire about. There are various ways it can go, but a lot of them end up with Hilgya is dead (or a dusted vampire).

In the event of Hilgya's death, it is entirely possible that Durkon would choose to not Ressurect her. There are various ways that decision could be made.

D.One
2019-08-23, 07:53 AM
In the event of Hilgya's death, it is entirely possible that Durkon would choose to not Ressurect her. There are various ways that decision could be made.

I'll divert briefly from our main theme here (Curly*, the Brave) to comment on this. I can see a situation where Hylgia decides not to answer Durkon's raising/ressurection, out of sheer "I only do what I want and won't go back to life just because you say so", or in the event that she likes what she gets in the afterlife, even if it's not Hylgia's Gambit (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1113.html).

But I can't really see a situation where Durkon doen't give at least an honest and dedicated try to bring back his son's ma.

Bravely ran away away

Her legend sung under fair moonlight
Her marvelous speed to escape a fight
With her resolve to never stand
She'll keep on running until the end
Untouched by time and death itself
She even dodges the arrows of Melf (Ok, I know, this one was forced as Hel)
Be a shinny day or a cloudy night
No one can reach her, not even light
For faster than her prodigious feet
Is her mistyfying smokerunning feat
And thus persists our Curly*, the Brave
Away from the fight, away from the grave.

Cicciograna
2019-08-23, 07:55 AM
Maybe she'll realize that Hel's plan is a lost cause and choose to survive, rather than being smoked like all her other peers. Could Hel destroy her, if she chose to forsake her goddess?

Onyavar
2019-08-23, 10:00 AM
My wild guess is that not all created dwarven vampires were involved in Undurkon's traps and plans.

Being evil masterminds, Hel and Undurkon would leave some behind, in case the biggest of all plans, complete with plan B, plan C and plan D failed.

So, this would be plan U: Undead plague in the dwarven caverns. And Curly is going to be their leader, until the vampires are necessarily crushed by the dwarven military, some months from now.

D.One
2019-08-23, 04:02 PM
And Curly is going to be their leader

And her first act as bold leader will be to order a strategic retreat...

Wizard_Lizard
2019-08-23, 07:57 PM
my best guess is die.

Squire Doodad
2019-08-23, 09:02 PM
Reminds me of an old joke:
"Charge! Aim for the cannons before they can fire!"
*explosion*
"Retreat! Get out of the line of sight of the cannons before they can fire!"

Riftwolf
2019-08-25, 06:27 PM

Her war-cry is 'Everyone but me CHARGE!'

Schroeswald
2019-08-25, 06:31 PM

Either we run away, or we DIIEEEEE!

Squire Doodad
2019-08-25, 07:09 PM

"You are great warriors! The best I have seen! You have great might, great skill, and great courage! Now all of you shall go into battle, not merely to win, but so I can get away and for justice!"

D.One
2019-08-26, 05:57 AM
"You are great warriors! The best I have seen! You have great might, great skill, and great courage! Now all of you shall go into battle, not merely to win, but so I can get away and for justice!"

"Aye. Fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FLEEEEEEEE!!!!!!"

EmperorSarda
2019-08-26, 10:35 AM
Doesn't matter what she will do.

Cause all the Order has to do while Curly is making a plan is make sure none of the elders are still dominated and the have Evan cast mending on the table. Call the meeting to order, new votes. And then Curly doesn't matter at all anymore.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-26, 11:17 AM
Why would Elan cast Mending? First, as a non-dwarf he can't get in there, and second they aren't trying to fix a splinter. You need the much better spell Make Whole.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-08-26, 12:10 PM
Why would Elan cast Mending? First, as a non-dwarf he can't get in there

The barriers are currently down. Elan can go up, fix the table, be asked to leave, and the meeting un-temporary suspended (I'm thinking that the meeting cannot be called to order if there are non-dwarves in the room).

Whether the table can be fixed magically, I won't comment. We'll see soon enough.

Grey Wolf

Cazero
2019-08-26, 12:21 PM
The barriers are currently down. Elan can go up, fix the table, be asked to leave, and the meeting un-temporary suspended (I'm thinking that the meeting cannot be called to order if there are non-dwarves in the room).
Actualy, we don't know how long it takes for the meeting to reconvene after such a suspension. Proper procedure might require the council to issue a new set of invitations to the elders even if they're already there. That would take some extra time, especialy if they are to be delivered in dead-tree form to their respective home adresses.

RatElemental
2019-08-26, 12:35 PM

Whether the table can be fixed magically, I won't comment. We'll see soon enough.

Grey Wolf

Now I'm wondering if a human who was inside when the meeting was called to order would be unable to leave at all because of the barrier.

On one hand, it would be consistent. On the other, it's friggin' magic, a one way door isn't that hard to imagine.

D.One
2019-08-26, 01:01 PM
Now I'm wondering if a human who was inside when the meeting was called to order would be unable to leave at all because of the barrier.

On one hand, it would be consistent. On the other, it's friggin' magic, a one way door isn't that hard to imagine.

On the other hand, it would be (physical) comedy gold if non-dwarves were suddenly expelled from the room when the bariers went up again (possibly with a shout of WEEEEEEEEEEE!). Giggles would approve such magic.

pendell
2019-08-26, 03:52 PM
Even if Hel's plan completely fails will Curly go on to initiate the Vampire Holocaust in Dwarfdom? Say what you will about Malack, he either wasn't interested -- or was too rational and long-term -- for such a plan.

Malack's approach seemed to be to help the living set up a society where he could farm criminals and live in luxury. It was a lawful evil society in which he lived, but he was able to live within human society without trying to force a short-term vampire legion which would ultimately end in his destruction.

Will Curly attempt the vampire holocaust? Will she simply run and hide? Something else? What are her options?

That also sort of begs the question: If vampires are so powerful and super-rare, then why hasn't one of these very powerful but super-rare creatures not already attempted the vampire holocaust?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-26, 04:03 PM
Because as soon as they do 1d3+3 heroes pop out of the woodwork and kill them.

Squire Doodad
2019-08-26, 07:57 PM
Because as soon as they do 1d3+3 heroes pop out of the woodwork and kill them.

Honestly, this is really a 1d4+2 Situation. Most adventurers do at least a group of 3.

Stabbey
2019-08-27, 03:11 PM
I am certain that Curly's fate will be tied up with Hilgya somehow. I can't see Curly being any sort of influence on the vote after this point.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-27, 03:43 PM
Well, no, of course not. The dwarf councilor specifically stated that they will take a lot of time to find a new tree to make the next table with. The vote subplot is paused until after the Order solves the issue next book. Also means a bunch of high-level clerics aren't available for the next book.

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-27, 04:42 PM
Well, no, of course not. The dwarf councilor specifically stated that they will take a lot of time to find a new tree to make the next table with. The vote subplot is paused until after the Order solves the issue next book. Also means a bunch of high-level clerics aren't available for the next book.
As I read your idea, I get the feeling that Roy and Company (Durkon becoming flesh by a bunch of dwarves dragging him out of the council chamber, and then he's not stone anymore ) re board Mechane confident that the council will vote in a way that is against Hel's plan and so they head for Kragor's gate. In other words, the vote is resolved off screen.

So we will get a cut scene to what's going on up north with Xykon, MiTD, Reddie, Oona, O'Chul, and Lien ... and then ... book seven begins after a break.

pendell
2019-08-27, 05:24 PM

Yes. This is why I thought Durkon would remain petrified if the council remains not-adjourned for any length of time -- not adjourned means he stays petrified.'

*Sigh* I suppose someone will pay the gold for a scroll of Break Enchantment or something like, but perhaps the Giant will surprise me with a more satisfying resolution.

"Satisfying" in this sense meaning "Durkon is un-stoned, but in some way that makes use of the rules, rather than simply overriding them with more powerful magic. " After all, if Vaarsuvius can simply dispel the petrification magic, presumably ze could dispel the barriers as well. And if V could do that, why not do that during the battle instead of making that last battle for dwarves only?

*Thinks*

Maybe the scroll they will cast on him won't be Break Enchantment, but something along the lines of something that converts the statue into a stone golem? Will a stone cold Durkon march across the world with the certainty of an avalanche?

yeaaah no. Still a cool mental image , at least to me. :smallamused:

Yes, I had voiced the hope earlier that Durkon would be written out of the story, a stone statue for the duration of the meeting which would last the rest of the comic. Well, the Giant is obviously not going that way so I've adjusted my expectations. I trust him to write a good story even if it doesn't go exactly the way I would write it. That's why you're paying to read him and not me!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-27, 05:28 PM
As I read your idea, I get the feeling that Roy and Company (Durkon becoming flesh by a bunch of dwarves dragging him out of the council chamber, and then he's not stone anymore ) re board Mechane confident that the council will vote in a way that is against Hel's plan and so they head for Kragor's gate. In other words, the vote is resolved off screen.

So we will get a cut scene to what's going on up north with Xykon, MiTD, Reddie, Oona, O'Chul, and Lien ... and then ... book seven begins after a break.

No, the vote is not happening period. The dwarves are going to follow the law so precisely they never have a chance to vote until long after the Order solves the problem. The name of the comic is The Order of the Stick, not Random Collection of Dwarf Clan Leaders.

Jasdoif
2019-08-27, 05:43 PM
No, the vote is not happening period. The dwarves are going to follow the law so precisely they never have a chance to vote until long after the Order solves the problem. The name of the comic is The Order of the Stick, not Random Collection of Dwarf Clan Leaders.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Blackwing.png: Shouldn't we stay for the vote? What if that invisible crow is still working for Hel?

(cut-away panel: Xykon and Redcloak standing in front of Kraagor's Gate)

:roy:: We don't have time.

RatElemental
2019-08-27, 06:07 PM
"Satisfying" in this sense meaning "Durkon is un-stoned, but in some way that makes use of the rules, rather than simply overriding them with more powerful magic. " After all, if Vaarsuvius can simply dispel the petrification magic, presumably ze could dispel the barriers as well. And if V could do that, why not do that during the battle instead of making that last battle for dwarves only?

It's not unlikely that the barriers themselves are stronger magic than the magic they themselves cast on lawbreakers.

As basis for this, several artifacts in 3.5 cast the insanity spell on you if you don't fit certain criteria when you try to use them, or if you fail to use them properly. However, insanity (while hard to reverse) is reversible with a small list of spells, while breaking the artifact is much harder to do and comes with the risk of losing the ability to cast spells ever again.

Squire Doodad
2019-08-27, 06:12 PM
It's not unlikely that the barriers themselves are stronger magic than the magic they themselves cast on lawbreakers.

As basis for this, several artifacts in 3.5 cast the insanity spell on you if you don't fit certain criteria when you try to use them, or if you fail to use them properly. However, insanity (while hard to reverse) is reversible with a small list of spells, while breaking the artifact is much harder to do and comes with the risk of losing the ability to cast spells ever again.

Probably this: the spells the barriers casts are easily dispelled with Dispel Magic, while the barriers themselves can only be shut down by a natural 20 and a high-level caster.

(V possibly could dispel it, but it would be luck that determines it).

Of course, I don't know if there's a DnD equivalent for the barriers themselves.

hroþila
2019-08-27, 08:39 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this stems from what The Giant wrote here about the protagonists being the ones who have to surmount the story's obstacles. Is that right?

Personally, I think people often take that quote way too far, even in cases where it doesn't mesh with the comic at all (because in the comic we see supporting characters resolving more minor problems all the time). It doesn't mean that only the Order can do stuff and that they need to fix every single problem directly and personally. In this case, whether or not the dwarves vote, the Order already did what needed to be done in order to solve the problem. Without them, the council is dominated and votes Yes. If the council now votes No, that's still thanks to the Order. The council would be comparable to Bandana regaining control of the Mechane after a mutiny while the Order defended the ship from a lethal frost giant attack.

BasiliskSoldier
2019-08-27, 09:08 PM
I think it's a safe bet that the godsmoot will not be resolved until after the main plot is.

It's a good excuse to keep all those high-level clerics out of the action back at the Godsmoot. Durkon can unstoned by other means.

2.5 cats
2019-08-27, 10:24 PM

My guess is that Sigdi's family will be admitted as a great clan. And between her vote and the previously-dominated dwarf who didn't vote before the meeting was suspended, NO will have a (bare) majority and Durkon becomes flesh again without any additional magic required.

There has to be a reason why it was emphasized that a "slim majority" was dominated, and Sigdi's backstory be worth more than her having lots of friends to call on.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-27, 10:36 PM
First, no new table means no more votes. Second, these are the oldest of clans, the dwarf equivalent of the Mayflower Society or the First Families of Virginia. Sigdi-Come-Lately doesn't even qualify as a parvenu.

2.5 cats
2019-08-28, 06:48 AM
First, no new table means no more votes. Second, these are the oldest of clans, the dwarf equivalent of the Mayflower Society or the First Families of Virginia. Sigdi-Come-Lately doesn't even qualify as a parvenu.

We don't know if a Make Whole spell will be enough for a valid vote...or if for that matter they have a spare table in the closet which they all deemed wise to keep quiet about. My guess is that the council chair has the power to determine the validity of the table, so he could rule in favor of a Make Whole spell now but would've ruled against if the vampires were still in charge.

As to Sigdi's "clan" being new and small, how many of these "Mayflower Society" clans have literally saved the entire world? Not saying that that normally would get Sigdi this honor, but that it's good enough when it's in the interest of the dwarves to do so. Say, to wrap up the vote before a loose vampire causes more mischief--or if the someone convinces them that they need un-stoned Durkon ASAP to stop Xykon.

But in any case, we'll all find out sometime in September.

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-28, 09:26 AM
In this case, whether or not the dwarves vote, the Order already did what needed to be done in order to solve the problem. Without them, the council is dominated and votes Yes. If the council now votes No, that's still thanks to the Order. The council would be comparable to Bandana regaining control of the Mechane after a mutiny while the Order defended the ship from a lethal frost giant attack. Thanks for saving me the work.

First, no new table means no more votes.
Second, these are the oldest of clans, the dwarf equivalent of the Mayflower Society or the First Families of Virginia. Sigdi-Come-Lately doesn't even qualify as a parvenu. If a new table is made available, that's solved.
2. Agree in the FFV parallel.
(I lived in Tidewater part of Virginia for a number of years and ran into the FFV thing now and again. I have various second and third cousins who have traced our shared family tree back to the Mayflower / Plymouth Rock. I completely see the point you are making here. No, I don't care to visit with them very often, their pretensions don't sit well with me).

The MunchKING
2019-08-28, 09:28 AM
FFV? SO the tree they get the new table from is going to be throwing Cities and small Islands into the VOID?? :smalleek::smalleek:

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-28, 09:29 AM
FFV? SO the tree they get the new table from is going to be throwing Cities and small Islands into the VOID?? :smalleek::smalleek: FF(V) is not FFV. :smallwink:

Resileaf
2019-08-28, 10:04 AM
Well hopefully she'll die. That would be a good thing for everyone.

Riftwolf
2019-08-28, 10:56 AM
Just had a thought about how Durkon gets unstoned.
There's a few (2+) dwarven bards with Song of Freedom and a room of councillors that need domination removed.
In offering to help, the bards cast song of freedom and, woops looks like Durkon was in range too, how did that happen? And who knew SoF broke petrification, I sure didn't. Anyway we'll be leaving now and we'll just take this vandal out of your way, your lord and ladyships, if you want help with the table, let us know...

GloatingSwine
2019-08-28, 01:06 PM

Her options are pretty much run away or die trying.

Quebbster
2019-08-28, 03:26 PM
There's a few (2+) dwarven bards with Song of Freedom and a room of councillors that need domination removed.
In offering to help, the bards cast song of freedom and, woops looks like Durkon was in range too, how did that happen? And who knew SoF broke petrification, I sure didn't. Anyway we'll be leaving now and we'll just take this vandal out of your way, your lord and ladyships, if you want help with the table, let us know...

Most of the domination is gone now since Gontor and Sandy aren't around any more. At least the one guy who haven't voted yet is free of the domination. They could probably settle the vote now if they fixed the table.

Squire Doodad
2019-08-28, 05:09 PM

I mean, there's plenty of Dwarven mages among the Thundershield Extended Family Army, and even if they don't V knows that Stoning is a possibility and so will pack a pair of Break Enchantment or some such ability.

The MunchKING
2019-08-28, 07:40 PM

She already did. Quite a while ago.

Schroeswald
2019-08-28, 07:45 PM

It was only a day ago, not that long ago.

The MunchKING
2019-08-28, 08:00 PM
It was only a day ago, not that long ago.

Comic book time though. One day is practically forever (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1136.html)!

Schroeswald
2019-08-28, 08:10 PM
Comic book time though. One day is practically forever (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1136.html)!
She was created two years ago, god, how is that possible? When I first saw 1136 in my first read I thought "seriously? This took five and 1/2 years? I read that part yesterday."

Resileaf
2019-08-29, 11:53 AM

Not quite.

Curly's Host, who may or may not also be named Curly, died yesterday. Curly the Vampire is still unalive.

DavidBV
2019-08-29, 12:26 PM
Comeon, her scene already switched to the Gods "closure", and we're like 12 strips from the ending. Those will deal with more important matters, like the vote, Durkon & Sigdi, Xykon finding Kraagor's Gate, and other stuff like that.

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-29, 12:28 PM
Comeon, her scene already switched to the Gods "closure", and we're like 12 strips from the ending. Those will deal with more important matters, like the vote, Durkon & Sigdi, Xykon finding Kraagor's Gate, and other stuff like that. Important stuff, like, did Lien beat O'Chul during any of the games of Go?
How many more doors did MiTD mark off that were not searched?
Did Greyview get enough treats?

pendell
2019-08-29, 12:30 PM
Comeon, her scene already switched to the Gods "closure", and we're like 12 strips from the ending. Those will deal with more important matters, like the vote, Durkon & Sigdi, Xykon finding Kraagor's Gate, and other stuff like that.

It can be addressed in one panel, or even a throwaway gag if the Giant doesn't want to waste the strip space on it. But given that Hilgya observed her fleeing, I strongly doubt the story will end without at least a little further followup. Since the story has already moved past Hel's plot , I suspect Hilgya will empowered flame strike her after some dialog, and that will be that. Loki's clerics hate undead, after all.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-29, 12:35 PM
Loki's clerics hate undead, after all.
For Lo, they are such gross icky things!

Here's a thought: Hel makes vampires just to spite her dad. Makes sense. :smallsmile:

Squire Doodad
2019-08-29, 04:41 PM
Not quite.

Curly's Host, who may or may not also be named Curly, died yesterday. Curly the Vampire is still unalive.

We knew we needed more transparent rules when Curly* was used for the living one.

Schroeswald
2019-08-29, 04:49 PM
We knew we needed more transparent rules when Curly* was used for the living one.

And then we decided that Curly** is the vamped one.

The MunchKING
2019-08-29, 05:22 PM
Not quite.

And yet, still Life signs = 0.

hroþila
2019-08-29, 08:57 PM
And then we decided that Curly** is the vamped one.
I don't see the need to call her Unattested Curly or Ungrammatical Curly.

Jasdoif
2019-08-29, 10:13 PM
I don't see the need to call her Unattested Curly or Ungrammatical Curly.Has anyone in-universe attested to her being "Curly"?

137beth
2019-08-29, 10:23 PM

That seems like a strange conclusion to jump to. The clerics at the godsmoot won't help the Order resolve the main plot for the same reason they wouldn't buff him in his fight at the moot: the gods don't agree on the best course of action. Roy observes that the gods, taken as a group, do not have the mortals' best interests (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1023.html) at their highest priority.

The issue with the table can be resolved with a single scroll, which Durkon knew ahead of time they might need. Once the final dwarf votes, the godsmoot vote can also be concluded with Dvalin voting no.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-08-29, 11:39 PM
Ignoring the point. The high priests have no need to serve mortal interests. Half of them are on the hook for "Go destroy this thing so we can have an excuse for blowing up the planet", which is more power than the Order can handle. The other half are on the hook for "Go prevent anyone from harming this thing", which is more power than Team Evil can handle. To keep Team Cleric (Redux) from overshadowing either the heroes or the main villains, they need to be sidelined.

The dwarves have overtly stated that a new tree needs to be found and cut down to make a new table. Rich has adequately signposted that everything related to the Godsmoot is stuck for the foreseeable future. Again, the comic is called "Order of the Stick", not Random Collection of Side Characters.

hroþila
2019-08-30, 05:44 AM
Has anyone in-universe attested to her being "Curly"?
We can apply comparative aesthetics to determine that she is most likely Curly.

D.One
2019-08-30, 07:14 AM
Rich has adequately signposted that everything related to the Godsmoot is stuck for the foreseeable future.

Where's that?

137beth
2019-08-30, 10:29 PM
Ignoring the point. The high priests have no need to serve mortal interests. Half of them are on the hook for "Go destroy this thing so we can have an excuse for blowing up the planet", which is more power than the Order can handle. The other half are on the hook for "Go prevent anyone from harming this thing", which is more power than Team Evil can handle. To keep Team Cleric (Redux) from overshadowing either the heroes or the main villains, they need to be sidelined.

The dwarves have overtly stated that a new tree needs to be found and cut down to make a new table. Rich has adequately signposted that everything related to the Godsmoot is stuck for the foreseeable future. Again, the comic is called "Order of the Stick", not Random Collection of Side Characters.

I think you are greatly overestimating how powerful the high priests are. This isn't a world with a dozen epic level clerics floating around. When Durkon was a kid, the High Priest of Odin (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0983.html) was the only dwarf cleric in the world who was 13th level or higher. Most of the clerics at the godsmoot are probably lower level. Even if every single one of them wanted to help the Order, they
a)Don't all necessarily have a means of getting to the North Pole in time, and
b)Aren't "more power than Team Evil can handle."

Squire Doodad
2019-08-31, 08:00 AM
I think you are greatly overestimating how powerful the high priests are. This isn't a world with a dozen epic level clerics floating around. When Durkon was a kid, the High Priest of Odin (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0983.html) was the only dwarf cleric in the world who was 13th level or higher. Most of the clerics at the godsmoot are probably lower level. Even if every single one of them wanted to help the Order, they
a)Don't all necessarily have a means of getting to the North Pole in time, and
b)Aren't "more power than Team Evil can handle."

I mean, any given High Priest is probably on par with any given member of the Order, so while having just one simply is another strong Cleric, having ALL OF THEM would be able to deal with Xykon and RC, simply because it's like 9 upper-mid to high level Clerics.
The old HPoO was probably not the only 13+ level Cleric, but was probably the only well-known one, or one of the few well-known ones. The High Priests are probably picked for devotion and power, not just raw levels.

Point a still holds true though, unless they all suddenly teleport or hitch a ride to get to the North Pole.

Yirggzmb
2019-08-31, 10:25 AM
The dwarves have overtly stated that a new tree needs to be found and cut down to make a new table. Rich has adequately signposted that everything related to the Godsmoot is stuck for the foreseeable future

Honestly, I read the elders' comments about the table as relief that they had an excuse to stop the vote. If using a spell to repair the table would be fine, there's no way they're going to let the vampires know that. They're going to play up the option that is going to take the longest.

I personally foresee this current threat to the world's continued existence sorted by end of book, but I also don't see that as any reason for all the clerics at the godsmoot to come helping either. They don't know where they need to go, and I don't see the Order bothering to go back/use a sending to tell them. And the clan elders don't still me as all that useful in the task either.

brian 333
2019-08-31, 04:16 PM
Am I dating myself if I suggest Curly will fall to the floor and run in circles shouting, "Whoop-woop-woop!"

Nyuck nyuck nyuck!

Mad Humanist
2019-09-01, 07:51 AM
Honestly, I read the elders' comments about the table as relief that they had an excuse to stop the vote. If using a spell to repair the table would be fine, there's no way they're going to let the vampires know that. They're going to play up the option that is going to take the longest.

Also a lot of conforming tables could be made from one tree. They may well have made spares. It is the sort of wood that you can make a punchline out of.

D.One
2019-09-02, 03:10 PM
Also a lot of conforming tables could be made from one tree. They may well have made spares. It is the sort of wood that you can make a punchline out of.

Even more, have you seen the diameter of that table? The tree-corpse used for that surely produced a Hel lot of "sister tables".

hroþila
2019-09-02, 03:23 PM
I would be surprised if the table wasn't old as balls. If that's the case, it's not like the raw materials will still be gathering dust in a storeroom somewhere.

D.One
2019-09-02, 04:06 PM
I would be surprised if the table wasn't old as balls. If that's the case, it's not like the raw materials will still be gathering dust in a storeroom somewhere.

My point is less about replacement pieces stored, and more about "Representative Stonefoot, can we please borrow your table, that was made from the same corpse of this one and has the same size, so we can finish this meeting?"

Rogar Demonblud
2019-09-02, 11:31 PM
So they stop their meeting in Firmament, send an envoy over to the capital (wherever that is) to ask for a different table, then have that table slowly shipped back to Firmament to continue a vote that will have been superseded by the Order destroying Team Evil and ending the debate?

Why don't y'all just admit that this isn't getting resolved before the end of the series? Every alternate "get a table" plan you come up with keeps turning into that, so why not just say it?

Yirggzmb
2019-09-03, 12:04 AM
So they stop their meeting in Firmament, send an envoy over to the capital (wherever that is) to ask for a different table, then have that table slowly shipped back to Firmament to continue a vote that will have been superseded by the Order destroying Team Evil and ending the debate?

Why don't y'all just admit that this isn't getting resolved before the end of the series? Every alternate "get a table" plan you come up with keeps turning into that, so why not just say it?

The only vampire left in dwarven lands is Curly, who is actively running away and may or may not survive very long. Hel's plan is effectively over and the threat from it is gone. So the table gets fixed, or they borrow one from nearby, or something. They finish the vote, more or less wrapping up the plot threads from this book, and the order continues to the next gate.

It's just, I don't see any reason for the vote not to get sorted this book. The world is still in dangerous from the snarl. "Oh, also there's a pending vote back in the dwarven lands" isn't really necessary and it's almost redundant in my eyes. Xykon is a threat to the final gate. The order's gotta stop him. And all that with Redcloak and the Dark One. And all that is the case even without an unknown outcome of the Godsmoot hanging over them.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-09-03, 12:39 AM
So it's just like how we had to have the plan to overthrow Tarquin resolved last book? And all those pages dedicated to Jirix's actions in Gobbotopia and the Azurites conquering an island to use as their new home? Or is the truth that the total page count dedicated to these side threads amount to zilch, a panel of Jirix stomping on a Demon Cockroach, and a panel showing Hinjo fighting some bugs?

There wasn't anything showing how the Greysky Thieves Guild is dealing with their multiple losing encounters with the Order or the CPPD fixing their prison after Elan and Thog busted out inside an hour.

Why do you think Rich is going to treat this subplot any different?

Emanick
2019-09-03, 02:05 AM
So it's just like how we had to have the plan to overthrow Tarquin resolved last book? And all those pages dedicated to Jirix's actions in Gobbotopia and the Azurites conquering an island to use as their new home? Or is the truth that the total page count dedicated to these side threads amount to zilch, a panel of Jirix stomping on a Demon Cockroach, and a panel showing Hinjo fighting some bugs?

There wasn't anything showing how the Greysky Thieves Guild is dealing with their multiple losing encounters with the Order or the CPPD fixing their prison after Elan and Thog busted out inside an hour.

Because it's not actually a subplot, it's the main plot of the book. It's more than important enough to be dealt with explicitly.

Sure, it's always possible that the Godsmoot will continue (off-panel) into book 7. I just don't understand why you're so certain of that.

RatElemental
2019-09-03, 03:28 AM

Well, the fact that resolving it is one of the ways for Durkon to stop being a statue helps.

Schroeswald
2019-09-03, 07:28 AM

My plan is that Minrah or Tinna had Make Whole prepared but Gontor didn’t (I forget if we’ve had dawn yet but they could have chose it for the night watch) and they fix the table, resolved in a page and one standard action.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-09-03, 11:13 AM
We've had dawn come and go, since the meeting was mid-morning. And look, we've left the chamber and abandoned the council to their own devices, while a pair of bards tag teamed a Song of Freedom to get Durkon free. Table is still broken, since the meeting is still suspended.

Morgana
2019-09-06, 10:35 PM
The meeting would be a weird thing to leave hanging honestly, this whole arc was about stoping the meeting from going wrong, so this would be where it would make the most sense to resolve this plotline dramatically speaking

CriticalFailure
2019-09-08, 06:24 PM
Yeah I expected it to get resolved too but I guess it could be to justify some people not helping like others have speculated?

I wonder if there will be Durkon explaining his mission to the rest of the Order. I really want to see how Roy, Haley, Elan, Belkar, and V respond to the news that there have been uncounted previous worlds destroyed by the Snarl, and the news that Durkon is on a mission from Thor himself, and the news that said mission is to negotiate with Redcloak.

Schroeswald
2019-09-08, 06:55 PM
I do think we’ll eventually see the clerics (or at least Veldrina) again, they set up a perfectly good communication system and it would be a shame to waste it.

Now here is my (vague cause I’m making it my sig) disclaimer about it:

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?” (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0889.html). Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).