PDA

View Full Version : Titan's oversized weapon ability

Biggus
2019-08-21, 07:05 PM
A Titan's oversized weapon ability states "a titan wields a great, two-handed warhammer (big enough for Gargantuan creatures) without penalty". It doesn't state whether they can wield other types of oversized weapon without penalty and while the name of the ability suggests it applies to weapons generally, the fact it specifies the warhammer only in the text seems to suggest that it doesn't.

The only other thing I can find which bears on the question is the Titan bloodline from UA, which has an ability called "use oversized weapon" but it isn't clearly spelled out here either, it just says "as the Titan special ability".

Has it ever been clarified whether they can or not?

RNightstalker
2019-08-21, 08:30 PM
I would go that it's only for the one weapon. It is similar to the feat Wield Over-Sized Weapon from CW.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2019-08-21, 08:48 PM
It's only for that one specific weapon, but keep in mind that its wording isn't dependent on the character's size, including for the Titan Bloodline. You can play a tiny-size character with the Titan Bloodline, and whip out a gargantuan size warhammer and wield it without penalty Animaniacs-style.

Biggus
2019-08-21, 09:44 PM
It is similar to the feat Wield Over-Sized Weapon from CW.

WOSW applies to all types of weapons...

It's only for that one specific weapon, but keep in mind that its wording isn't dependent on the character's size, including for the Titan Bloodline. You can play a tiny-size character with the Titan Bloodline, and whip out a gargantuan size warhammer and wield it without penalty Animaniacs-style.

Ha! Silly as it is, I suppose that's technically correct. Absurd results coming from taking RAW literally, who'd'a thunk it?

Rijan_Sai
2019-08-22, 12:02 PM
I would go that it's only for the one weapon. It is similar to the feat Wield Over-Sized Weapon from CW.
Except that the feat specifies that any weapon may be used as though it were "one size category smaller and one size 'lighter'..."
Edit: ninja'd

Which is exactly why the Titan bloodline ability should be treated as the feat; to avoid inanities like this... (also, why the fraggle is that feat "epic"? Oh right! "Fighters" can't have nice things... :smallmad:)

Side note: It may be a 'houserule," but Titans in my games can most certainly wield other weapons; the "stock" stat-block just indicates a preferred choice in armament.

ShurikVch
2019-08-22, 12:35 PM
FWIW, in "The Ecology of the Titan", Cronus (Gargantuan Advanced Titan Barbarian 20/Legendary Dreadnought 10) is armed with "+15 Colossal adamantine glaive"

Biggus
2019-08-22, 07:07 PM
FWIW, in "The Ecology of the Titan", Cronus (Gargantuan Advanced Titan Barbarian 20/Legendary Dreadnought 10) is armed with "+15 Colossal adamantine glaive"

So it does. In fact, under his oversized weapon ability it says he "can wield an oversized weapon one category larger than himself (colossal) without penalty".