PDA

View Full Version : First time Adventurer league/ Curse or Strahd

Jackthebander
2019-08-22, 01:50 PM
I've just start playing at my local league and I'm starting as lvl 1 fighter. I want to roleplay him as a waterdeep city watch so I tried to make his abilities as thematic as possible. At level three I plan on making him a Eldritch Knight and I wanted to know if this is a good starting build.

Merry
Race: Variant/Human Background: City Watch
HP 12
AC 19
Str 16
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 12.
Wis 12
Cha 10
Althetic 5, Investigation 3, Insight 3, Perception 3, Intimidation 2

Feat: Magic Initiate
Shillelagh
Mold Earth
Healing Word

Gear: Chainmail, longsword, Shield, Quarterstaff/Truncheon
P.S my party consist of a paladin, warlock, cleric, rogue

Sexyshoeless
2019-08-22, 02:12 PM
Not a bad spread of stats at all, and definitely will function well as a fighter.

I do have some questions about the magic initiate feat choices though - why does a city watch member have these spells? And why Shillelagh? You don't have the wisdom to make it any better than just hitting with the stick mundanely and frankly in CoS there aren't enough incorporeal enemies to make it worth the investment for a magic weapon alone. There are much more powerful choices for druid cantrips such as guidance, control flame, etc that may get you more bang for your buck.

Similarly, healing word is great for a one off healing option, but you have a cleric for that.

Is there a reason you are going druid for MI? I might suggest wizard to grab find familiar for your lvl 1 spell, or cleric so you can grab guidance, a utility cantrip and Bless.

Grimmnist
2019-08-22, 02:12 PM
Was almost about to say Shillelagh wasn't useful since you're a strength build, but then I realized a magic d8 weapon is good. I generally prefer the Dueling fighting Style to Defense since dealing damage is usually better than maybe avoiding damage but Defense is by no means bad.

Looks pretty good though I think you are missing an ability point:
Str (15 + 1) 9 pts
Dex (10) 2 pts
Con (13 + 1) 5 pts
Int (12) 4 pts
Wis (12) 4 pts
Cha (10) 2 pts

That gives a total of 26/27 points spent from point buy. I'd probably toss that extra point into Int to bring it to 13, EK dipping Wizard is pretty good.

Jackthebander
2019-08-22, 02:28 PM
I pictured the idea of a blue cloaked constable who uses his Truncheon to subdue criminals and only draws his sword when needed, When I read shillelagh it said I CAN use my wisdom modifier instead of strength so I'm planning on using my str score instead, and from what I understand COS/AL doesn't freely give out magic items and a bunch of monster are resistant to non magical attacks. I choose mold Earth and Healing word as a utility spell since the magic casters in my party seem to focus on attack magic. If you think I should pick some other spells please advise