PDA

View Full Version : Crit Tables and The Paradox of Choice

Bjarkmundur
2019-08-22, 03:16 PM
I have found two Crit tables that both look very fun to use, but making the choice is killing me!

Can we start an opinion war about which one of these two tables are more fun?

I won't be using the Insanity Chart, that's far too dark for my table. I will be using the Minor and Major Injuries, however, regardless of which Crit Table I'll use.

Crit Table 1 (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AtwavdCXkvMneTpNU3MyVmI4rIc-lYwE9xjHmkALXs8/edit?usp=sharing)
Crit Table 2 (https://sterlingvermin.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/critical-hits-revisited.pdf)

Magikeeper
2019-08-23, 03:12 AM
Well. The 2nd option doesn't have a fumble table, so that one.

Crit tables, in general, greatly empower hoards of weak enemies which may or may not be something your group desires.

Fumble tables result in characters being more likely to take THEMSELVES out of the fight the more proficient they are in combat. That table in the second first option isn't terrible, as far as fumble tables go, but it still suffers from level 18 fighters falling prone about once every 20 rounds of combat on average while other characters will fall prone every 40 rounds or so. Meanwhile, a level one character will fall prone once every 80 rounds on average.

Also, the first group of tables seriously suffer from telling people how their chars feel about things. Like, if they're feeling reckless or scared or angry... which may or may not match the situation and their personality. I think that's more annoying than the falling over stuff, actually.

Also the initiative changing may be fun for PCs but could be annoying if one random minion now gets a special turn (not all groups have monster groups act on the same initiative count but some do).

---

That said, if you're willing to edit the tables a bit the first set has a lot of minor bonuses/penalties that could be fun. Just remove the silly stuff, the RPing people's chars for them, and the more extreme crit effects. Something like:

.. keeping the injuries for crits since you insist on using them...

Weapon Attack Critical Hit Table
Roll 1d10
Description
Effect

As you are fighting, you notice an effective route to escape danger.
You are able to use the disengage action after your attack.

Your opponent's going to have trouble getting a hit in now!
You target has disadvantage on the next attack they make against you. This effect lasts until the end of their next turn.

Your opponent's balance isn't quite where they'd like it to be..
Your target has disadvantage on all attacks made against you until the end of their next turn.

Your senses heighten and you become aware of threats around the battlefield.
You are able to use the dodge action after your attack.

There an opportunity to quickly try something fancy...
After your attack you can choose to immediately attempt to grapple or shove your opponent as an extra action (not a bonus action). If your DM is using the optional disarm rules, you may choose to do that instead.

There's an opportunity to move in for the kill!
You gain advantage on all attacks against your target until the end of your next turn.

Your strike catches your opponent off-guard!
Your target is surprised until the end of their next turn.

You strike with great force!
Roll an additional set of damage.

You pulverize the target!!
Roll an additional set of damage, and every creature (including yourself) has advantage on any attacks made against the target until the start of their next turn.

CRITICAL!!!
Roll an additional set of damage, and you can roll again on this table. If you roll 10 again, the target suffers a Minor Injury and you can roll again on this table. If you roll 10 a third time, the target suffers a Major Injury instead of a Minor Injury.

I also rearranged it so the defensive benefits are the lower numbers and the offensive benefits are the higher numbers. If someone isn't using injuries they can just change 10 to something like "and roll once more on this table. If you roll 10 again, treat all dice rolled for this attack as if they had rolled the maximum amount. Do not roll again."

ProsecutorGodot
2019-08-23, 07:25 AM
Fumble tables result in characters being more likely to take THEMSELVES out of the fight the more proficient they are in combat. That table in the second option isn't terrible, as far as fumble tables go, but it still suffers from level 18 fighters falling prone about once every 20 rounds of combat on average while other characters will fall prone every 40 rounds or so. Meanwhile, a level one character will fall prone once every 80 rounds on average.

Seconding this 100%. Fumble tables are a fun idea right up until your Dwarf breaks both his ankles and the two of you knock eachother out with wide swings of your Warhammer.

My very first campaign came to an abrupt end because of fumble tables, I'd never ever consider or recommend you use them.

Bjarkmundur
2019-08-23, 12:41 PM
Thanks for your replies!

---------------------------------------

@Magikeeper
You're probably right. Even though there's a limit to 1 crit per turn, having both fumble AND crit tables is probably too much, since both are more likely to favor the enemy.

I like the idea of minor crits being defensive and major crits being offensive. I'm gonna think a bit about that. Based on my players, they might enjoy an all-offensive crit table more.

@ProsecutorGodot
Maybe I'll use a crit table, and a general fumble mechanic. Most people expect that nat1 to be different, simply because it's so iconic. I'll probably just come up with stuff on the spot, that way it can have orcs chop their own heads off, but players at worst lose their weapons.

--------------------------------------

I'll give it a think. Thanks for your help.

-------------------------------------------

I've been looking at this like a DM. Thinking about the narrative and how I don't really like the bonus damage from crits, due to how swingy it is. A deadly encounter can be made easy with a couple of crits. It's also not good to use damage-heavy crit tables against players, since they are usually outnumbered.

Then I thought about it as a player. Doing extra damage from a crit is amazing, and having a tacked-on effect like taking off an arm or setting the target on fire is just so cool! I remember in 4e when our warlord used a Daily ability against a boss that had gave all of us an increased crit range (18-20) until the start of his next turn. We all blew our action surges and daily powers and completely annihilated that boss. It was one of the best encounters ever!

I think I'm going with the 2nd table. To balance the scales between players and monsters I might have monsters roll a d12 instead of a d20. My players are likely to get injuries through other means so sparing them from the second half of these crit tables might be a good idea ^^

This is good since it keeps more resources for my game in fewer documents, and takes your advice of not having fumble tables. I'll just make a general mechanic that a fumbled character grants advantage for the next attack against him or something like that. Just to meet the expectations of nat 1s being bad.

Laserlight
2019-08-23, 10:42 PM
The problem with fumbles is that more skilled martials get more attacks, therefore more fumbles, which is the opposite of what you would expect. If you insist on using fumbles, make it "if all your attacks this turn are Nat 1s".

Toadkiller
2019-08-24, 12:20 AM
We will ad lib a fumble from time to time with the room deciding some hilarious* thing that happens in the moment. Generally only in low stakes moments or for maximum hilarity*. Other times ones get rolled with nothing more than a groan or if it was the DM a cheer.

*We are all of middle age and D&D time is a time of merriment and beer. It usually starts with “then you fart!” Don’t judge us, it’s generally been a long week of adulting.