PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Goliath Backstories?

blackjack50
2019-08-22, 03:51 PM
What backstories do y’all have for goliaths? Specifically NON barbarian/fighter goliaths. Currently A friend has a Goliath barbarian who was stolen by monks. They tried to train him in there ways, but all that took was not using armor. It has made some fun RP for us as a side quest. But we got to talking about Goliaths who are NOT barbarians or fighters. Obviously their society cannot have JUST those. So what Back stories do you have or types of Goliath’s that worked out that weren’t barbarian or fighter?

Grimmnist
2019-08-22, 04:23 PM
I think we need to look at how Goliath's are described in VGTM, the main sections are titled Driven Competitors, Fair Play and Survival of the Fittest. They wander a bleak cold realm and everyone in the tribe is required to pull their own weight or likely perish. They tend to be LN.

Classes like Fighter and Barbarian are obviously the most common given the Ability Bonuses but using the information from Volo's we can see other classes that would work. Some classes such as Ranger are an obvious fit as their tracking and survival skills would be invaluable but many other classes are tougher. I will go through each class and give a one sentence role that class could play in their society, the classes I will skip are Barb/Fighter since they are pretty obvious already, and Cleric and Paladin as deity worship tends to be more setting specific.

Bard: This could be a storyteller for their people in an almost Shaman esque role. Probably Valor Bard makes the most sense thematically.
Druid: Tribe Shaman, wandering the bleak wastes of nature a Druid's skills would be invaluable.
Monk: Fitting in with their tenants of competition and fair play unarmed, unarmored combat would likely be viewed as honorable, plus the consistent training of the monk would help hone the body and mind to survive the difficult environment.
Ranger: Scouts and Hunters would be valuable in Goliath society.
Rogue: This could go in one of two ways, either a scout very similar to a Ranger, or a scoundrel someone who doesn't pull their own weight in the tribe and instead uses their cunning and stealth to mooch off of others.
Sorcerer: Sorcery would likely be viewed as distasteful in Goliath society (at least until it proves to be useful), so this could be a Goliath who tries to hide their magical power, or who was outcast from their tribe.
Warlock: Since Goliath's care about Survival above almost all else one could easily make a pact to save their self or their tribe.
Wizard: Goliath would not view reading books as honorable or useful so a Wizard would not be viewed highly, however this does set up an interesting redemption arc if the Wizard is able to prove the worth of their magic in assisting the tribe.

blackjack50
2019-08-22, 04:54 PM
I think we need to look at how Goliath's are described in VGTM, the main sections are titled Driven Competitors, Fair Play and Survival of the Fittest. They wander a bleak cold realm and everyone in the tribe is required to pull their own weight or likely perish. They tend to be LN.

Classes like Fighter and Barbarian are obviously the most common given the Ability Bonuses but using the information from Volo's we can see other classes that would work. Some classes such as Ranger are an obvious fit as their tracking and survival skills would be invaluable but many other classes are tougher. I will go through each class and give a one sentence role that class could play in their society, the classes I will skip are Barb/Fighter since they are pretty obvious already, and Cleric and Paladin as deity worship tends to be more setting specific.

Bard: This could be a storyteller for their people in an almost Shaman esque role. Probably Valor Bard makes the most sense thematically.
Druid: Tribe Shaman, wandering the bleak wastes of nature a Druid's skills would be invaluable.
Monk: Fitting in with their tenants of competition and fair play unarmed, unarmored combat would likely be viewed as honorable, plus the consistent training of the monk would help hone the body and mind to survive the difficult environment.
Ranger: Scouts and Hunters would be valuable in Goliath society.
Rogue: This could go in one of two ways, either a scout very similar to a Ranger, or a scoundrel someone who doesn't pull their own weight in the tribe and instead uses their cunning and stealth to mooch off of others.
Sorcerer: Sorcery would likely be viewed as distasteful in Goliath society (at least until it proves to be useful), so this could be a Goliath who tries to hide their magical power, or who was outcast from their tribe.
Warlock: Since Goliath's care about Survival above almost all else one could easily make a pact to save their self or their tribe.
Wizard: Goliath would not view reading books as honorable or useful so a Wizard would not be viewed highly, however this does set up an interesting redemption arc if the Wizard is able to prove the worth of their magic in assisting the tribe.

Thank you so much. This helps a lot.

Yakmala
2019-08-22, 06:30 PM
I have a Goliath Forge Cleric Folk Hero who is trying to create new stories for his clan, which is slowly dying due to being over-successful [there's nothing left to fight]. I'll just cut and paste background below:

After nearly a century of fighting, Clan Valo-Akane was victorious. The Giants and Dragons were killed or driven from their mountain. For a culture built around individual challenges, it was the beginning of a slow death.

Einarr felt it more keenly than most. A talented Smith, his people had little need for his arms and armor. When the Elders named him Coldforge, it was more than he could take. Einarr needed to bring glory back to the Valo-Akane, both for his people and himself. He left his mountain behind and sought challenges elsewhere.

Making his way to the Moonsea region, Einarr has become something of a local legend among the villages and farmsteads, appearing where he is needed and solving problems for the local communities, using his hammer both to forge tools and pummel monsters.

After the death of the local priestess of Selune to a goblin raid, Einarr determined that their faith needed better protectors. He sought out Selune's temple and offered his services and much to everyone's surprise, the Goddess accepted!

Einarr has sworn not to return to his people until he has earned a worthy name.

Vorenus
2019-08-22, 08:02 PM
So you want a Goliath back story? Excellent. I have two words for you:

Karsa Orlong.

You're welcome.