PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for play testers/DMs/Established groups for FF7 materia system

Cobracous
2019-08-22, 03:52 PM
I am designing a materia system based around Final Fantasy 7 in honor of the remake getting a release date. I am looking for DMs, Players and even currently established groups. I have a discord server dedicated to the play test. DMs will decide how they want to handle the play test, I suggest just going through the combat scenarios. My biggest rule is that only official material is permitted outside the materia system. I recommend running combat encounters from published adventures to help ensure balance.

As of now, the system is based around feats. So I recommend at least one player per test group choose a human variant fighter to pick up the ability to use materia. I also recommend you run each combat scenario without using the system, but use the same classes with the same ability scores. this should help ensure that the balance is right.

Any player that chooses the materia user feat at first level is entitled to 1 common materia of their choice at character creation.

If this sounds fun or interesting to you, please let me know so I can add you to the discord server. This play test will be open to new players for some time.

Chad.e.clark
2019-08-22, 05:44 PM
Just curious: If materia requires a feat to use, and you want people to run combats both with and without the materia, is the materia feat swapped out for a different feat in the no-materia runs?

Combats may play out very different between the three scenarios:
A)materia feat + materia
B) materia feat, no materia
C) feat of choice, no materia

Food for thought. Interested to see the results.

Cobracous
2019-08-22, 07:57 PM
The materia feats can be swapped out with other feats or for ASI. Having them keep the materia feats but not use them would not allow for proper balancing.

GreyBlack
2019-08-22, 10:42 PM
Just out of curiosity.... what would prevent you from just making materia a magic item that bestows a short rest recharge spell a la the Warlock? The materia has to be fitted to either a weapon or armor specifically designed to hold them, and weapons only have a certain number of slots that a materia can be fitted to.

Cobracous
2019-08-23, 02:38 PM
I'm designing to work nearly identical to the way it does in the original game.