PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Agave [Race]

JNAProductions
2019-08-22, 04:34 PM
Agave

The Agave are a small race, both in size and numbers, of plant folk who were born from the blood of a talented mage. In an epic confrontation, the mage confronted their arch-nemesis, a lich bestride a fearsome dragon, and did battle. The mage prevailed, but at grievous cost. They felt the last of their lifeblood draining from their body, and died in a small patch of flowers, preserved by their wards in the hellscape that the battlefield had become.

A year passed, and the mage's power and blood had seeped into the plants they died on. The plants became aware, and began to explore out. They were, luckily, found by a druid, named Leno, who took the young plants in. Leno had been attempting to regrow the wasteland left behind by the confrontation.

Leno raised the plants as if they were his children, teaching them the ways of his magic. The agave took to it, and helped the young elven druid restore the land. Eventually, though, many of the Agave left, seeking their own place in the world. (Though Leno, of course, retained some of the family.) This supposedly happened some 600 years ago, meaning Leno may no longer be alive. The Agave, though, have spread far. Though not particularly numerous, they are found in virtually every big city.

The Agave have a powerfully inquisitive nature, a driving curiosity that leads them to learn all they can. They also have a knack for magic, both arcane and druidic, and a talent for artifice.

In personality, the Agave (being people, after all) vary a lot, but in general, they tend to be kind, if a bit oblivious or awkward.

They're so stoic! They need to be a little less hidebound and a little more free. But, that being said, if a dwarf gives you their word, you know you can trust it!
They're kinda like us, only taller, and less green. But we get along really well!
They're fun to be around, even if we can't really enjoy food with 'em. But they're a little too lazy-spending time at home is all well and good, but you gotta go out sometime! That being said, they're wonderful people to be with.
They've got that same drive we do. We can respect that-even if there are a lot of bad eggs among them.
They can be kinda scary, what with the fire breathing some of them do, but they're a lot like the dwarves. Decent folk.
They're awesome! They always have something interesting to tell, and if not, they're happy to go learn with us!
They don't always have a place in the world. Kinda like us.
They can be kinda mean, but that's often because people are mean to them first. Show them some kindness (and harmlessness) and you should get along okay.
They look spooky, but they have some really interesting naming conventions. But, treat them right, and they'll treat you right too.

Ability Score Increase
Your Constitution increases by 1, as befitting your hardy, planty nature, and your Intelligence increases by 1 as well.

Agave have no known upper lifespan-they tend to get involved in accidents that render them dead before age can get them. However, the older an Agave is, the more and more sedentary they become, till they eventually become more plant than animate being. It is possible to restore a "planted" Agave with rejuvenative magic, though the longer the Agave has been immobile, the less the magic affects them.

Alignment
Due to their origins, Agave tend strongly towards Good.

Size
You are a walking, talking plant. Your size is small, and you rarely stand more than 4'.

Speed
Your walking speed is 25'.

Plant Nature
You have resistance to poison damage and advantage on saves against poison. In addition, so long as you receive water and sunlight, you do not require food to avoid Exhaustion. Finally, you may cast the Druidcraft cantrip.

Inventive Inclinations
You have proficiency in any one artisan tool.

Languages
You speak Common and one other language-typically a language you were around growing up.

Underdwellers

Ability Score Improvement
Your Wisdom increases by 1.

Darkvision
You can see up to 60' in complete darkness, though only in shades of black and white.

Deep Roots
Unlike other Agave, you have little need for sunlight. Your deep roots can seek out sustenance from even the most barren of places, meaning you require only water. In addition, you may, as an action, root yourself in place. You gain advantage on any saves against forced movement, but cannot voluntarily move yourself until you take a bonus action to retract your roots.

Vibrant Agave

Your Charisma increases by 1.

Fast
Your base walking speed is 30'.

Shiny
You know the Light cantrip, using Charisma as your spellcasting modifier (if it ever matters).

Party Agave!

You gotta hold your liquor! Increase your Constitution by an additional one point.

Brewmaster
You gain proficiency in Brewing Supplies, and when making checks with it, your proficiency is doubled.

Life Of The Party
You know the Prestidigitation cantrip, using Constitution as your spellcasting modifier (if it matters).

MagneticKitty
2019-08-22, 07:36 PM
Using detect balance
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vq1kz6PRAbw5LHy6amH-bNb4OuB8DBXL1RsZROt03Sc/htmlview#

Base (20)
Standard stats 12
25 Speed -2
Poison res and adv 5
Doesn't need to eat 1
Cantrip 2
Tool prof 1
Choice of language 1

Underdwellers (4)
Standard darkvision 3
roots, advantage on rare roll 1

Vibrant (4)
Normal walk speed +2 (to balance vs the lack of it earlier)
Cantrip 2

22 Is a good total. Seems balanced.

Thematically I don't care for some of the choices.. a lot of things we've seen before in other races. The roots are the only thing unique to only this race..
I'd like thorns or something.
Also poison res doesn't make a lot of sense to me... how do you kill plants but with pesticide, a poison.

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LTooBzTl7vKhG6RrxNI

Also I recommend changing your title to define what agave is. People might be more excited to know it's a plant race, then not knowing what agave means and giving it a pass.
Like Agave: a 5e plant race
Or something

BerzerkerUnit
2019-08-25, 11:51 PM
Plant race in here: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/234677/Tiny-Races-Heroes-in-the-Palm-of-Your-Hand?src=by_author_of_product

JNAProductions
2019-08-26, 09:32 AM
Plant race in here: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/234677/Tiny-Races-Heroes-in-the-Palm-of-Your-Hand?src=by_author_of_product

I don't need another plant race, I'd like critique on mine. I'm fully aware that I'm not the first person to make a plant race.

Bjarkmundur
2019-08-26, 10:58 AM
And criticism you shall receive! I'm typing this as a read.

I love the backstory! I'd love to be the lost agave, descendant of a group of agaves that traveled far. Now it's my time to go back to my ROOTS and meet Leno!

The 'artifice' part sticks out like a sore thumb, definitely a THORN IN MY SIDE.

I actually don't know how these guys look. Green Humanoids or Bipedal Plants?

I love the fact that they photosynthesize!

The base race is lovely, and the formatting deserves praise as well. But I feel like the subraces could use a bit more work. The race is already so unique, it's hard to think of variations. I mean, Artisan Tools? Underdwellers? Darkvision? All this feels thematically off based on what you've described so far. But sure, it's your race. Maybe some backstory would help here, since It's really hard to go from born-by-magic to raised-by-druid to... living in the underdark?

I feel like the general theme would be better served with different subraces. Maybe make a difference between the outgoing and far-travelled Agaves and the stay-at-home easy going 'traditional' agaves. Sorta like what they did with halflings?

Whatever you do, don't go "ah, this is a rose, and this has bark and this has thorns". Differentiate between them rather by personality than which type of plant they descend from. Having them based off different plants is just... boring, and plenty of other plant races have gone that route before. You could have one subrace that is mobile and active, and one that is stout and calm. That works well to help fulfill any fantasy a player might have looking for a plant race to play, I think. It's also cool that the ones that left Leno evolved differently than ones that stayed in their region of origin.

The nomadic line would have to fight off new diseases on their travels, survive through barren lands, and have good tools to survive against hostile creatures on their travels. And of course movement speed. They could probably be able to consume less water and sunlight to still gain benefit from their photosynthesis.

The traditional line would get the chance of growing taller and stronger due to their relatively safe environment, but be more magical due to their heritage with druidism. They could probably consume more sun and water to get stronger benefits.

So, yeah. Either some flavor text to help with the existing subraces, or a small overhaul to give them more oomph, those are my two copper.

Breccia
2019-08-26, 03:05 PM
These guys are mechanically so similar to dwarves that I don't see a problem in most respects.

However, from a more generic perspective, opening up the game to plants, constructs, or undead can create a lot of hurdles. They don't need to eat normal food? Fantastic. What if they want to? I'm willing to bet pouring a potion of healing on tree bark's not doing anything. Plus a fair number of spells that work on "people" will bounce off, giving them unexpected defenses...but sometimes unexpected penalties.

Be prepared to make a list of special rules, or be prepared to handwave.

BerzerkerUnit
2019-08-26, 07:12 PM
I don't need another plant race, I'd like critique on mine. I'm fully aware that I'm not the first person to make a plant race.

Sure, but when I don't have time to critique, I offer other resources so you have a basis for comparison. There are presently 0 official plant races. There are, to my knowledge, only a handful of homebrew plant races, most of those buried on various forums.

Given that these cleave so closely to other existing races, I thought you might glean inspiration or confirmation from something that does not.

Composer99
2019-08-27, 12:37 PM
I think the concept is pretty interesting. The implementation makes them look a lot like dwarves, especially the Underdwellers.

My only real criticism is the name, since agave is the genus of plant from which tequila is made. Names of new kinds of creature in a fantasy adventure game like D&D are always hard to come up with, of course, but associating it with the drink everyone threw up to in university/college might be kind of weird?

(I must admit, I am exaggerating quite a lot in that last paragraph, although the name is a little off-putting.)

JNAProductions
2019-08-27, 12:39 PM
I now want a booze-themed subrace.

At work, but will make later.

JNAProductions
2020-12-15, 12:27 PM
I now want a booze-themed subrace.

At work, but will make later.

Well, it's been literally a year, but I did it. :P