PDA

View Full Version : Shadar Kai Rogue/warlock optimization

GrifterofTales
2019-08-22, 07:21 PM
So for my next campaign, a buddy of mine and I plan on making Shadar Kai brothers. Him being either a cleric or Barbarian and me being a rogue. To spice things up a bit for myself i wanted to multiclass into Hexblade Warlock.

This being my second character ever, my first being a plain jane Paladin of Vengeance i thought i might get some input on the best way to build my Roguelock.

I'm leaning toward Assassin and pact of the blade with Hexblade as my patron, but am open to ideas.

Callin
2019-08-22, 07:28 PM
Assassin is finiky to get off. Swashbuckler would give Cha synergy.

Bobthewizard
2019-08-23, 08:12 AM
Since Shadar Kai get bonuses to Dex and Con but not Cha I'd go more for a rogue with a warlock dip. I'd probably stop at 2 levels.

Level 1 of hexblade will get you a shield, hex and hexblade's curse. I'd ignore the charisma attack and just use dex. Once dex is 20, studded leather is better than medium armor.

Level 2 is the big reason to dip, getting you two invocations. Devils sight for sure on a rogue, then one of mask of many faces or misty visions. Likely skip agonizing blast since you'll have better dex than charisma and you can't use sneak attack with Eldritch Blast. I'd probably stop here but you could go as far as level 5 if you want.

Level 3 might be worth it to get 2nd level spell slots and a pact. Blade is thematic but might be better with 5 levels. Chain gets you an invisible imp, keeping devils sight and adding voice of the chainmaster. Tome could get you all the rituals, with devils sight and book of ancient secrets.

Level 4 for ASI

Level 5 gets either thirsting blade or one with the shadows, and 3rd level spells, so is maybe worth it.

As for Rogue, any subclass would work. Swashbuckler doesn't fit thematically for me with an emotionless Shader-Kai, but mechanically would work. If I were going mostly warlock I'd take assassin up to 7 or 8. I like assassin's level 3 abilities but not their later ones.

Edit: Sorry I forgot that you get the darkness spell at level 3. If you take devil's sight, I wouldn't stop at level 2 and would take either 3 or 5 levels in warlock.

Dork_Forge
2019-08-23, 10:10 AM
Are you going with point buy or rolled stats?

As Bobthewizard pointed out Shadar-Kai don't get a bonus to Cha so you'll likely want to be Dex focused, being Cha SAD isn't much of a help when it's behind what Dex would be anyway.

Is there a particular thematic reason you chose Hexblade? The main appeal for this kind of build imo would be the shield proficiency, armor wise you'd be better off with the armor of shadows invocation (mage armor at will for 13+dex).

In terms of optimizing I'd go Swashbuckler for the Cha synergy and benefits, Assassin is over rated and situational at best.

If you were to go into higher levels I'd suggest a 15/5 split in favour of Rogue over Warlock.

For invocations: Armor of Shadows, Improved Pact Weapon and third is up to your preference, if you want more combat then Eldritch Smite or for utility/roleplaying mask of many faces.

Bobthewizard
2019-08-23, 12:14 PM
Assassin is over rated and situational at best.

That seems to be the consensus on here, and it is definitely DM dependent, but I've had good luck getting surprise pretty often using darkness/devils sight/stealth or mask of many faces/deception, looking like an innocent child until l get close enough to stab them.

Swashbuckler is probably great mechanically for this build but I have trouble seeing it for a shadar-kai. Any of thief, inquisitive, or scout would be good too if they fit your character concept.

Callin
2019-08-23, 01:14 PM
A name is a name and can always be renamed. Call it Shadowdancer instead. The abilities with very minor fluff changes work as shadow abilities.