PDA

View Full Version : Planeshift Innistrad - Druid Wild Shape - need help please

Tenawa
2019-08-23, 05:51 AM
Hi there,

we are planning to do an Innistrad campaign and I really want to play a (moon) druid.

Unfortunately shapechangers in Innistrad are all werewolves. :(

We had the idea to reflavor the druids wild shape ability to a "totem aura" effect.

From a rule perspective most things would be the same: HP, speed, attack options would all change but you won't get special movement types like climbing, flying and swimming. On the other hand you would keep the ability to talk and interact with your environment in your human form.

I have two question:

1. From a rule balance point: Would these changes be fair and balanced?

2. (and more important): From a lore perspective, would this "totem armor" druid be playable in Innistrad?

Thanks to all your feedback. :smallsmile:

Vogie
2019-08-23, 10:25 AM
Since you're going into the MtG-verse, you could ask that your wild shapes act as "]Umbra/Totem Armor effects (https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&output=spoiler&method=visual&sort=abc%20,abc+&text=+[totem]+[armor]&subtype=+["Aura).

Essentially, totem armor in the Magicverse:

are magic constructs that form around the caster
are based on beasts and other fauna, with the abilities of those fauna
have the 'driver' is visible inside the construct
are always larger than the driver

If it's allowed by the DM, a Moon/Umbra Druid would

Be able to communicate while "wild shaped", as they are simply suspended inside the construct.
NOT be able to pass themselves off a natural creature
NOT be able to wild shape into a creature smaller than medium (unless the character is already small).
Instead be able to create wild shape constructs around them that emulate the chosen beasts, except it's always one size larger than the druid.
I'd allow it at my table, with the caveat that simply because you're a larger version of the creature, you don't get any extra damage.

Tenawa
2019-08-23, 11:27 AM
Essentially, totem armor in the Magicverse:

are magic constructs that form around the caster
are based on beasts and other fauna, with the abilities of those fauna
have the 'driver' is visible inside the construct
are always larger than the driver

If it's allowed by the DM, a Moon/Umbra Druid would

Be able to communicate while "wild shaped", as they are simply suspended inside the construct.
NOT be able to pass themselves off a natural creature
NOT be able to wild shape into a creature smaller than medium (unless the character is already small).
Instead be able to create wild shape constructs around them that emulate the chosen beasts, except it's always one size larger than the druid.
I'd allow it at my table, with the caveat that simply because you're a larger version of the creature, you don't get any extra damage.

I like it, a lot.

Didn't think about the change in size, but that would make sense and it would be a disadvantage because more creatures could attack you.

Would you think it would be balanced if you gain ALL the characteristics of the Beast, including movement types, senses and special attacks?

You lose the advantage of being a tiny beast for scouting and so on. But you can speak and use items in your totem armor. But casting your own spells isn't possible (until level 18).

Vogie
2019-08-23, 11:59 AM
I like it, a lot.

Didn't think about the change in size, but that would make sense and it would be a disadvantage because more creatures could attack you.

Would you think it would be balanced if you gain ALL the characteristics of the Beast, including movement types, senses and special attacks?

You lose the advantage of being a tiny beast for scouting and so on. But you can speak and use items in your totem armor. But casting your own spells isn't possible (until level 18).

Basically. For example, while in a "Giant Spider" Umbra at level 3 therefore you'd only have spider attacks and spider abilities (web, climb speed 30 ft, single paralyzing bite) while in a Hyena Umbra you'll have the normal Giant Hyena abilities (50 ft speed, Rampage, Bite), Bear form would have multiattack (bite/claw) & keen spell, and so on.

Being able to communicate (without a 1 level dip in GOO warlock) is a minor boon compared to the disadvantage of being very obviously floating in a Green-Lantern-Style light construct that's the size of a car. Mechanically, I'd say you have disadvantage on stealth checks, not unlike some armor gives. I'd say you can use items, but only to effect your normal form - You can't sit there and chug a health potion to reinforce your Hyena Umbra. Like normal wild shape, if you want to use items outside the umbra's protection, you'd have to drop it prior to activating Wild shape (again, ignoring the 3 level dip in Blade warlock for Polearm-master-Gorilla shenanigans).

Garfunion
2019-08-23, 12:26 PM
Hi there,

we are planning to do an Innistrad campaign and I really want to play a (moon) druid.

Unfortunately shapechangers in Innistrad are all werewolves. :(

I’m not sure I understand you, Druids are a thing in Innistrad. The only problem would be is if you wildshape in public. Many citizens would believe that you’re evil do to the teachings of the church.

In the Innistrad supplement;
https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Plane_Shift_Innistrad.pdf

“Druids can be found as springsages or as the “witches” known as forcemages, who make pacts with nature spirits.”

Depending on what Age of Innistrad you are playing in, a playable Werewolf would be a re-skinned Barbarian.

When I DM Innistrad I refer to the Netflix Castlevania series as a way to describe the world.

So, unless your DM has changed their version of Innistrad. I don’t see why you can not play a normal Moon Druid.

Tenawa
2019-08-23, 03:19 PM
So, unless your DM has changed their version of Innistrad. I don’t see why you can not play a normal Moon Druid.

It's my understanding that werewolves are the only shapechangers in Innistrad. Yes, I know there are druids, but I don't think they can change shape (lore wise).

Garfunion
2019-08-23, 03:43 PM
It's my understanding that werewolves are the only shapechangers in Innistrad. Yes, I know there are druids, but I don't think they can change shape (lore wise).
I have not read anything about werewolves being the only shapechangers. Vampires can also shapechange. Also druids do not have the shapechanger tag they simply can wildshape.

However if your DM wants to rule that druids do not wildshape, it’s their game.
You may want to look at and re-skin the Spore Druid, if wildshape is not allowed.