PDA

View Full Version : Items with randomized effects

pabelfly
2019-08-23, 07:23 AM
I'm after items with random effects, like the Deck of Many Things, the Rod of Wonder, or the Bag of Tricks. Does anyone have any other suggestions in this vein?

unseenmage
2019-08-23, 10:33 PM
Very interested as I am looking for precedent in designing a custom magic item Craft Contingent Spell that casts its keyed spell 1d2 times.

Khedrac
2019-08-24, 02:07 AM
Just looking through the SRD:

Bag of Tricks
Deck of Illusions
Iron Flask (if populated)

and a Robe of Useful Items is random inw hat it contains, but not in what you use.

Also, bear in mind what the DMG says about minor curses on items...

Bphill561
2019-08-24, 03:10 AM
Game of Fate is a power component in Complete Champion that has variable effects on your spell based on a D100 roll. I have been looking for spells/effects that let you modify your roll on that.

The Great Elixir (minor artifact) in the Shining South book grants the imbiber a random effect, some are quite interesting. Again it is another D100 roll.

Note quite a magic item, but the warp touch disease in Book of Vile Darkness does all kinds of strangeness based on a D100 roll. I am pretty certain someone tried to port over Chaos mutation tables from Warhammer 40k for this one. But who doesn't want a "Head Swells" effect for +4 deformity bonus to Intelligence.