PDA

View Full Version : Random curiosity: has anyone ever had an RPG encounter set in a football field?

Myth27
2019-08-23, 09:03 AM
So I was playing dnd the other night and we kept marking on the board some distances to keep track of area of effect and range and the map almost started to look like a football so it got me thinking this stupid question :)

jayem
2019-08-23, 09:38 AM
So I was playing dnd the other night and we kept marking on the board some distances to keep track of area of effect and range and the map almost started to look like a football so it got me thinking this stupid question :)

There's a couple of famous CRPG's that have some encounters (I don't know if it counts if the PC is technically to the side of the pitch).

I think if you actually want the role-play interactions it's mostly easier to just do the live-action version, or whatever you call subbuteo.

sktarq
2019-08-23, 12:19 PM
yes...over the years several-especially when I was in college and many of the games were set in "not this college but one very much like it"

D20 Modern - not combat or anything-but site of refugee shelter
Mutants&masterminds - soccer pitch but similar enough
Shadowrun - hey look a landing zone! Lets not fight inside a flying helicopter!
World of Darkness...make great backdrops to contrast what characters are or are dealing with. Youth and growth vs Vampiric Stasis as an example. Also night games just make a good big positive crowd event not based around a club scene or music which makes a good change of pace and anybody could show up-especially family sorts that otherwise mostly stay in a lot. As the ST ran a couple..Combat wise is really good at making players feel vulnerable and exposed-never actually ran that combat but the threat was very real so the players made safer choices.

Max_Killjoy
2019-08-23, 01:05 PM
Champion (HERO system), superhero campaign, big fight on a sports field, I think it was a football field, because it was empty at the time and it was the least "risk to bystanders" place nearby to where the villains started stuff.

comicshorse
2019-08-23, 01:52 PM
In the Cthulhu adventure 'Mountains of Madness' the expedition the PC's were part of arranged a football match in the Arctic with a rival expedition. It was a very fun, but dirty. game of football

Gallowglass
2019-08-23, 02:04 PM
I always wanted to see someone put together a football (american) team of D&D characters.

Do hulking hurlers make the best quarterbacks?
Do monks make the best running backs?
Do Dwarven Stalwart defenders make the best Offensive Linemen?
Do you need Snatch Arrow feat to be a good cornerback?

I would like to see it at 5th level, 10th level, 20th level and I'd like to see a team composed only of base-line non class-leveled monsters.

Maybe someday I'll start a contest thread to see if anyone is interested in building a team.

Mr_Fixler
2019-08-26, 12:50 AM
A number of years back I was playing a zombie survival game that had a big encounter in a football stadium. Unfortunately, I do not remember much besides jumping around the seats shooting a machine gun and a PC climbed the goal posts but the zombies knocked them over. We were there for some maguffin hidden in the locker rooms under the stadium.

Eldan
2019-08-26, 04:42 AM
Didn't Old Man Henderson end in a football field?

It's a Call of Cthulhu campaign story. About a player who made a charactder to troll his terrible GM, old man henderson. A totally insane, pyromaniac fake vietnam veteran explosives expert, who fought the cultist because he thought they stole his garden gnomes. It ended with him driving a fuel truck into a ceremony to summon Hastur, which I think was in a football stadium or similar sports arena.

Pauly
2019-08-26, 07:31 AM
I always wanted to see someone put together a football (american) team of D&D characters.

Do hulking hurlers make the best quarterbacks?
Do monks make the best running backs?
Do Dwarven Stalwart defenders make the best Offensive Linemen?
Do you need Snatch Arrow feat to be a good cornerback?

I would like to see it at 5th level, 10th level, 20th level and I'd like to see a team composed only of base-line non class-leveled monsters.

Maybe someday I'll start a contest thread to see if anyone is interested in building a team.

Bloodbowl does this very well, but in the Warhammer universe

Ravens_cry
2019-08-26, 07:56 AM
Didn't Old Man Henderson end in a football field?

It's a Call of Cthulhu campaign story. About a player who made a charactder to troll his terrible GM, old man henderson. A totally insane, pyromaniac fake vietnam veteran explosives expert, who fought the cultist because he thought they stole his garden gnomes. It ended with him driving a fuel truck into a ceremony to summon Hastur, which I think was in a football stadium or similar sports arena.

Hockey Stadium (https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Old_Man_Henderson), apparently. And, yes, Old Man Henderson is the epitome of Crazy Awesome.

Feddlefew
2019-08-26, 08:40 AM
In Monster of the Week, I ambushed players with a 30ft long robotic centipede in a college football stadium's locker room. They fled out onto the field and fought it there, barely managing to drive it off with a live wire from one of those the ticker board thingy that displays ads.

Marcotix
2019-08-27, 12:44 PM
yes, it was GURPS, the group was in a city that was going to hell in a handbasket, all sorts of crazy monsters running amuck. The moral of the city had degenerated to the point where you had to be either on one of 2 football teams, and the rules were whatever.

It was crazy good fun.

Bapsplingo
2019-08-28, 11:35 AM
Vampire the Masquerade! I had a team running heists for grabbing Antediluvians to kill Gehenna in its sleep, and they ended up dropping the corpse of Ravnos into a football game by mistake. Massive Masquerade violation as they dived down and lost a fair bit of Humanity each as they rip and teared through Ravnite clan Vamps on live TV to grab the coffin and get the hell out of there. It was supposed to lead to a pseudo Gehenna start (one often meet fate on the way to avoid it, eh?) as the mortal world was rudely awakened to the reality of the "supernatural" and the resulting vampire deaths waking up Antediluvians, but unfortunately it never went through because I reached way above my DMing ability at the time and couldn't make it happen. Still feel bad.

JeenLeen
2019-08-28, 12:15 PM
Real cool fight in an oWoD Mage game.

Due to some prophecy, we knew something was going to happen during the Super Bowl. In one of the locker rooms, we founds some demons and their thralls setting up to attack one of the teams. (Still not sure why.) We killed them, and then a nice guy in a tweed sweatervest showed up. Told us some trouble was a-brewin' and he could use our help.

Two of the Earth-bound manifested and attacked in the stadium, and we (along with some Technocrat NPCs who happened to be nearby) wound up fighting them while sweatervest (Lucifer, it seems) manifested his angelic form. Entire audience was struck with awe and watched.

We managed to weaken one of the Earth-bound enough while sweatervest took out the other one. That freed up sweatervest to drop the nuke that the Technocracy had sent to kill the stadium full of witnesses to an open brawl between demons and an angel.

DM later admitted the fight did have pretty much two endings. 1) we take too long and the nuke toasts everything (though sweatervest would have protected us and himself), or 2) we did with the weaker Earthbound in time that sweatervest is free to stop the nuke.
Wound up helping weaken the Consensus a bit. The Technocracy tried to spin it, but even they had trouble stopping/brainwashing every attendee of the Super Bowl.

Bohandas
2019-08-28, 12:30 PM
There's a couple of famous CRPG's that have some encounters (I don't know if it counts if the PC is technically to the side of the pitch).

Plus the entirety of Blood Bowl

jayem
2019-08-28, 04:13 PM
Plus the entirety of Blood Bowl
I'm not sure if you posted that as a more extreme variant (in which case my post was too oblique and possibly Eurocentric) or a more 'classic themed' variant
In either case it was interesting to read.

For what it's worth my reference was to Football Manager (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Manager_2019) (and similar), and there was an element of playing with the boundaries of RPG's.
You have the PC (the manager) with the interactions even more in character than D&D. (NPC) Stats and (virtual) die play a vast part of the game side.

Luccan
2019-08-28, 04:28 PM
I can't recall a specific example, but D20 Modern was a go to for several years for the people I used to play with. I feel like we had to have done it at least once, especially given how many of my characters were around late highschool/college age.

halfeye
2019-08-28, 09:09 PM
In a football field? is that a mole's eye view of the thing? :smallwink: