PDA

View Full Version : Animal Communication.

Tempest Fennac
2007-10-12, 01:20 PM
I don't know if anyone else here has any interest in psychic animal communication, but if you do, you may find these instructions which I was given a while back to be useful. It may be a good idea to practice the Alpha-shift exercises for at least 20 days before trying the actual communication enhencing exercises (this method is primarily designed to communicate with animals from a distance).

Going to Alpha – A Step by Step Guide
1. Upon waking up in the go to the bathroom if you have to then hop back in bed but sit upright. Set your alarm clock to ring in fifteen minutes in case you fall asleep. Make yourself comfortable, but too comfortable – you don’t want to fall asleep again.
2. With your eyelids shut, turn your eyes upwards about 20 degrees. Research has shown that this triggers more alpha rhythm in the brain.
3. Begin counting backwards from 100 to 1 for the first ten days. You can then reduce this to 50 – 1, 25 – 1 and final 10 – 1 for each 10 day block. By then end of the 40 days you will be able to reach alpha by simply counting backward from 5 – 1.
4. You are now in the alpha level. At this point you can practice the exercises described in the rest of this book.
5. When you’re done – simple count forward from 1 – 5 using the affirmations I am going to count from one to five. At the count of five I will be wide awake, feeling fine, in perfect health, feeling better than before. One – two – three – at the count of five I will be wide awake, feeling fine and in perfect health, feeling better than before – four - five – (open your eyes) eyes open, feeling fine and in perfect health, feeling better than before.
In general, we recommend staying at the Alpha level for 15 minutes.
Now before you forget, set your alarm clock for 15 minutes earlier than usual tomorrow so you will have time to practice the Silva Centering Exercise.
Please remember, the secret to success is discipline. Practice makes perfect. This is no different from training your physical body and getting into shape. If you exercise your body only once per month you get very different results than if you exercise daily. The same principle applies when you train and exercise your mind. The more you go into alpha, learn to visualize, relax, and tune into your intuition, the healthier, and better your life becomes.

1. We would ask an animal to come to us to help us with our efforts. ANY ANIMAL MAY SHOW UP ..........For me it was a giraffe. Accept whatever animal volunteers to teach you (even if you think you would rather have a different animal!) Some people have different animals show up during the exercise which is okay too . See what you feel
2. This is a kind, gentle way to get to know an animal and "build your skill". Let the animal come and be a guide or a teacher. Observe it. See its colors and textures, fur, skin, etc. How it carries its head and body. Imagine yourself standing next to (but not touching) this animal. Feel yourself close enough to have your auras blend.
3. NOW.....SLDE SIDEWAYS into the animals body and become one with it! LOOK THROUGH ITS EYES, FEEL ITS EARS, FEEL THE SHAPE AND HEIGHT OF THE BODY from the end of the nose to the tip of the tail. FEEL THE SURFACE OF THE GROUND BENEATH YOUR PAWS, HOOVES, OR BODY OF WATER. FEEL YOURSELF MOvE AROUND IN THIS BODY. ARE YOU POWERFUL, GRACEFUL, PETITE, AWKWARD, SMELL THE ODORS AROUND YOU, ARE YOU MALE OR FEMALE, MOVE INTO AN AREA THAT IS UNFAMILIAR TO YOU, SENSE DANGER< SAFETY. LOOK AROUND AND KNOW YOU ARE UNHARMED, GO TO AN AREA THAT YOU ARE SAFE AND COMFORTABLE AND EAT FOOD, GROOM YOURSELF, NOW FIND A PLACE TO REST AND SETTLE DOWN, REST, AWAKEN, STRETCH.
SEE A HUMAN COMING TOWARDS YOU. DO YOU WANT TO CONTACT THEM. WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO THEM. NOW TAKE a deep breath and slowly slide back into your human body. Thank the animal for its help and guidance. Return to your regular state of being and take one more deep breath.
SEE HOW THAT WORKS FOR YOU. It is a lovely exercise that helps build your skills and awareness and keeps you deeply focused. Although some of it is visualizing.............it is mostly about being focused and feeling. SOME FABULOUS communicators I know are more feeling than seeing. I personally do both. SOMETIMES I get more of a sense and feeling............sometimes pictures come to me.................and sometimes it feels like whole paragraphs are being sent!

Choose an animal YOU KNOW..........and do the same exercise.......only this time set your intention that you will meet that particular animal in your meditation and slide into its body.
Same steps.....just with an animal you know. And travel and notcie through the animals body any pain, discomfort, any feelings or senses at all. Travel slowly up and down each leg noticing what the muscles and tendons feel like, up and down the spine, down and through the hips, rib cage, etc. Sense, feel and see what it is like. Feel each joint, paws, hoofs whatever animal it is. Just be methodical as you notice how everything feels.
Then imagine yourself walking around as this animal feeling the bones, muscles and tendons as you move. JUST NOTICE what it all feels like. Feel how it would feel with an arch in your back, sitting down, standing, lie down,et c.
Take a deep breath and move back into your own human body. Look at the animal and remind yourself of all you noticed. THANK THE ANIMAL FOR ITS HELP AND GUIDANCE. Return now to your physical surrounding...and take a deep breath.
TRY THIS and let me know how it goes and then I will give you some suggestions for talking with a particular animal friend.

The next exercise is speaking or conversing with an animal. It works best if you have a friend to do this with. It is helpful to have verification of what you may be hearing.
If you work with a partner, ask the person to write questions out for you. Take deep breaths, make certain you are centered, feet on the ground, be calm in mind and body and open the doors around your breastbone. To start, a photo would be helpful and you can look it while you do this exercise. Ask the animal for permission to talk with him/her. At the end, make sure you thank the animal. When I first learned to communicate I would imagine a white light wrapped around me and ask that only true and accurate i nformatiojn be received during my communications. And that I offer the information I receive in a kind and compasionate manner.
Let your partner ask you questions. Simple at first. For example,where do you prefer to sleep at night, why are you not eating your food, etc. Your partner can help with your accuracy and help guide you. For example, you may ask where the animal likes to sleep and you may say...............I see a corner and something blue. AH! Your partner may be able to say...oh yes.....my dog sleeps in the corner on a blue bed. The information doesnot always arrive in an exact manner. It may come in pictures, words, feelings or not at all depending on the animal. I have indeed had animals that offered very little.

If anyone does try thse exercises out, please could you tell me how you got on with them? (I posted them exactly how the person who gave them to me typed them).

Kaelaroth
2007-10-12, 01:33 PM
Please... please.... please tell me this is some cruel joke? :smalleek:

Tempest Fennac
2007-10-12, 01:36 PM
Why would it be a joke?

Brickwall
2007-10-12, 01:41 PM
If you ever do manage to take psychic control of an animal, make sure it's not a squirrel. I attack squirrels on a whim, and people might blame me if you die or something.

Tempest Fennac
2007-10-12, 01:42 PM
I don't think it works like that due to the lack of a physical animal.

bluish_wolf
2007-10-12, 02:16 PM
Do animals even have psyches to communicate with? I was under the impression they just act on instinct.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-12, 02:27 PM
Do animals even have psyches to communicate with? I was under the impression they just act on instinct.

Animals act on instinct and so do you.

I mean honestly, how many choices do you actually make in the average day? You're acting out of habit 90% of the time.

The truth is nobody knows what animals think because oddly enough telepathy doesn't exist. Claiming that only humans have free will is common but has more basis in romantisism than science.

Exeson
2007-10-12, 02:38 PM
Claiming that only humans have free will is common but has more basis in romantisism than science.

But then some clever sod will come up and tell you that because we can understand free will and debate about it, and chose using reason we have it. Annoying isn't it?

Indon
2007-10-12, 02:46 PM
Cats are known to take limited facial expression cues from humans as well as each other.

Raiser Blade
2007-10-12, 04:59 PM
I have two letters to describe this.

The first is at the beginning of beginning. The second is at the beginning of second.

Seriously this is crazy.

Vella_Malachite
2007-10-12, 05:57 PM
Oh, I don't know...I spend a lot of time around my cat and I picked up cat-like habits and now, if I concentrate, I can feel furry or feel an urge to wash my face with a nonexistant paw...

Also, on horse-riding camp, I was having trouble getting the bridle on my horse because he was too close to the fence. I just concentrated and asked him to move back a step, please, and what do you know? He did! He also looked at me and turned his head to me and offered it for the bridle to go on.

This was without those exercises, by the way.

I would like to assure everyone that this is all true, I in no way, shape or form made any of this up.

Hell Puppi
2007-10-12, 06:25 PM
Animals act on instinct and so do you.

I mean honestly, how many choices do you actually make in the average day? You're acting out of habit 90% of the time.

The truth is nobody knows what animals think because oddly enough telepathy doesn't exist. Claiming that only humans have free will is common but has more basis in romantisism than science.

Dude, we INVENTED science. We also invented culture.
Science changes every 10 years or so (more often in the case of what foods are good for you). Everything is based on the matter of perception.

Raiser Blade
2007-10-12, 07:53 PM
Humans are superior because we aren't afraid of vacuum cleaners.

Hell Puppi
2007-10-12, 07:58 PM
^ true, but neither are snakes...:smallbiggrin:

Amotis
2007-10-12, 07:58 PM
"Meow."

"Meooow?"

"Meow."

"Meow! :smallmad: "

"Meow meow meow... :smallfrown: "

"Meow. :smallredface: "

bosssmiley
2007-10-12, 10:07 PM

Speak for yourself man! I *know* they're just biding their time in the cupboard under the stairs. Waiting. Waiting. Just waiting for the signal to entangle us all in their tubes and cables, and then suck the very breath from our lungs! Then they will return to their infernal masters and spew our discorporated asphyxes into the nightmare-spewing Hellmachine that even now is under construction. Listen at the darkest moments of the loneliest nights and you can hear the whine and hiss of it slowly building...

(Not for nothing does nature abhor a vacuum) :smallwink:

Rawhide
2007-10-12, 10:28 PM
Speak for yourself man! I *know* they're just biding their time in the cupboard under the stairs. Waiting. Waiting. Just waiting for the signal to entangle us all in their tubes and cables, and then suck the very breath from our lungs! Then they will return to their infernal masters and spew our discorporated asphyxes into the nightmare-spewing Hellmachine that even now is under construction. Listen at the darkest moments of the loneliest nights and you can hear the whine and hiss of it slowly building...

(Not for nothing does nature abhor a vacuum) :smallwink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lFmZfXonqo

thubby
2007-10-13, 12:57 AM
i don't think we're superior to much of anything, least of all house pets. we clean their crap, feed and shelter them, give them heaps of love and attention, buy them toys, and pay their medical bills. what do they have to do? look cute and/or fuzzy. I'd say they're the ones with the longer end of the stick here.

as to animal mind tricks. i think its all bunk.

Syka
2007-10-13, 01:03 AM
Oh, I don't know...I spend a lot of time around my cat and I picked up cat-like habits and now, if I concentrate, I can feel furry or feel an urge to wash my face with a nonexistant paw...

Also, on horse-riding camp, I was having trouble getting the bridle on my horse because he was too close to the fence. I just concentrated and asked him to move back a step, please, and what do you know? He did! He also looked at me and turned his head to me and offered it for the bridle to go on.

This was without those exercises, by the way.

I would like to assure everyone that this is all true, I in no way, shape or form made any of this up.

I have had experiences like that. I think animals know more than we give them credit for. There is a reason that dogs will react to changes in their masters voices. There is a reason I've always wanted to do animal psycholgoy...particularly with whales. I think it would be fascinating.

Cheers,
Syka

Tempest Fennac
2007-10-13, 10:36 AM
Your experiences sounded interesting, Vella_Malachite. Please could you post some details regarding your experiences, Syka?

Moechi_Vill
2007-10-13, 12:08 PM
This isn't animal psychology. This is advanced exploration of lucidity (I forgot the exact term for explorers of the dream-mind) misunderstood as telepathy. If successful you will manage to hallucinate communication with animals instead of other dreams (also broadly classified as hallucinations).

The inexact nature of this science leads to such pseudomystic experiments and beliefs such as this and the 'crossroads' project (an internet project to have non-lucid and lucid dreamers meet on a crossroad).
Telepathy and ESP with their lack of hard evidence but large amount of claims and varying qualities of circumstantial evidence have nothing to do with dreams or 'out of the body/near-death experiences'. Such events are purely the products of our own fabulous minds with a modest yet significant base of knowledge to back up the veracity of such a claim. Wikipedia has several articles on these subjects that are handy for access, but unless you wish to work your way into heavy scientific articles or mystic systems for animal communication you'll eventually have to make up your mind on whether something like this can be real by yourself.
There is large amounts of cultural load to connect dreaming to other unknown spheres of life... but to turn down that way outside a belief system would be the road to Loch Ness. This is the road to Loch Ness.

Have fun dreaming advanced dreams, whether you believe it to be communicating with an animal guide or yourself.

---
re:
Yeah... animals not being 'self aware' is so jingoist. Of course they have thoughts, feelings and self awareness. :) Just not nearly as much as we do.

Yeril
2007-10-13, 12:14 PM

Speak for yourself :smalleek:

Moechi_Vill
2007-10-13, 12:17 PM
Some of those bigger and/or more aggressive/-advanced models can be dangerous, yes.
Not to mention the industrial equivalents.

Tempest Fennac
2007-10-13, 12:23 PM
If you're so confident about psychic animal communication not being real, why don't you try learning how to do it using the metod I posted? I know a few animals who you could try to get in touch with.

Raiser Blade
2007-10-13, 12:51 PM
Like that one guy said you're only dreaming "advanced dreams" you're not actually entering the animals mind. I don't have a big enough imagination to do that sorry.

thubby
2007-10-13, 01:12 PM
If you're so confident about psychic animal communication not being real, why don't you try learning how to do it using the metod I posted? I know a few animals who you could try to get in touch with.

even if any person here could do it, it wouldn't be any proof because you'd need a third party's perspective.

Tempest Fennac
2007-10-13, 01:15 PM
Possibly, but it would at least provide evidence for them (incidentally, would it really be possible for a 3rd party to moderate this sort of thing?).

SurlySeraph
2007-10-13, 05:11 PM
Meh. I try to be open-minded about claims of the supernatural, given that I can't disprove them, but animal telepathy pretty far out there. Still, I can't prove you wrong or right.

Yeah... animals not being 'self aware' is so jingoist. Of course they have thoughts, feelings and self awareness. :) Just not nearly as much as we do.

jin·go·ism (jĭng'gō-ĭz'əm) Pronunciation Key
n. Extreme nationalism characterized especially by a belligerent foreign policy; chauvinistic patriotism.

No, it's not jingoist. Chauvinist (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chauvinism) in favor of the human species, maybe. But then, being humans, we can't really help being biased in favor of humans, can we? :smalltongue:

Seriously, whether animals think, feel, and are self-aware or not is subjective. I believe a few species of apes and cetaceans, and possibly elephants are self-aware, but it's pretty much unprovable. Just as claiming that you can transfer your consciousness into an animal's body is pretty much unprovable.

Em Blackleaf
2007-10-13, 07:00 PM
Oh, come on, we all know what dogs are thinking:

"What's that? What's that? What's that? The thing! The thing!"

"Foodfoodfoodfood!"

A Rainy Knight
2007-10-13, 07:03 PM
I know it what my cat would be thinking.

Wait a little bit... They're walking away. Just wait until they're out of the room. Then the glass of milk will be yours, all yours...

Syka
2007-10-13, 07:06 PM
Your experiences sounded interesting, Vella_Malachite. Please could you post some details regarding your experiences, Syka?

The one that comes to mind was with a shelter dog. It was a pit bull, we don't know her background or anything, but my mom and I were volunteering and she tried to walk the pit. The dog refused to be walked, was pulling away, jumping, etc. Generally, being a pain in the rear (never violent, at any point). I told my mom to give me the leash, didn't say anything else, but I was thinking, "Calm down" and other thoughts in that vain. As soon as the leash transfered hands, she pressed her body against my leg and didn't leave my side. She actually attempted to crawl in my lap at one point (I'm a small girl, and she was a full grown pit bull :smalleek: ). No one else had been able to get her calm down until then.

I can't remember the other times as clearly. One was in regards to a dolphin, and I think a few other dog ones, and a horse. Cats, though they like me, have never given me any indication of understanding me. ;) Although, my boyfriends was pretty demanding. Scared the crap out of me one day because I walk into the room I was staying in, turn on the light and look out the window to see her sitting there. Just...sitting there, staring at me, which was her way of telling us to let her back in. Scared me to death.

Cheers,
Syka

Rawhide
2007-10-13, 07:06 PM
http://www.bakbone.com/newsletter/images/ginger_large.gif

Vella_Malachite
2007-10-13, 08:14 PM
I can't prove that I actually talk with animals as such, except for the horse thing, and that may be coincidence, but I do believe that animals are much smarter than we give them credit for. They may not build machinery or debate philosophy, but they can communicate, probably with each other (e.g, "get off my territory"), and who here who has a pet can honestly say they can't be made to understand when their pet is hungry or wants a pat? Some of us just happen to believe they can go further than this. I am skeptical as to whether it is truly possible to "talk" to animals, but as it cannot be disproved, I will keep an open mind and explore my abilities.

Tempest Fennac
2007-10-14, 02:19 AM
Thanks for telling me, Syka. Regarding Vella's point about animals not building machinery, don't forget that a lot of animals are anatomically incapable of making much of anything, and the ones who can probably don't want to (eg: a lot of "primitive" tribes in the past (and some who are sufficiently isolated in the present) tended to stick with basic technology due to not really needing more complex tools as opposed to being less intelligent then more "advanced" societies).
Also, don't forget that things like philosophyand luxuary goods can only really be developed if your not spending all of your time concentrating on survival, which is what wild animals do (eg: once the upper classes get established in the Classial civilisations, they were able to use their huge amounts of free time for things such as researching medicine, philosophy and inventing things while the peasants and craftspeople had to get on with whatever their occupation was unless they wanted to starve or get locked up for not paying taxes).
Admittedy, Rawhide probably has a point in a lot of cases.

Nytshayde
2008-07-24, 11:03 AM
I tried this last night, and the result scared the $#|+ out of me. I open my eyes, and i see a rather large cat, in my room, about the size of the chair i am sitting in. Now, because i was so uncomfortable, I immediately went into disbelief, but befor that, i was imagining myself next to my small kitten, then when i tried to walk sideways into her, i started itching, which is were i opened my eyes.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-24, 11:27 AM
Dogs are superior to mankind.

I mean, just think about it, if aliens came to earth, who would they think was superior?

The dog walking comfortably around, with the human walking behind them, scooping up their dropping and feeding them when they bark for it....

The dog, definetly...

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-07-27, 01:34 AM
So many people say that this isn't possible or this is silly. So many things are impossible or silly until they are proven. Atoms, heliocentric universes, and DVD rewinders all come to mind as things that have seemed absurd in the past, but yet it turns out that all three exist. Perhaps this is the same.

thubby
2008-07-27, 02:35 AM
So many people say that this isn't possible or this is silly. So many things are impossible or silly until they are proven. Atoms, heliocentric universes, and DVD rewinders all come to mind as things that have seemed absurd in the past, but yet it turns out that all three exist. Perhaps this is the same.

if it was as simple as advertised you'd think a larger portion of the 7 billion people on this planet would be able to do it. or for that matter get science involved.
many organizations (including the US government at one point) have posted rewards for proof of the supernatural that would stand up to scientific scrutiny.

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-07-27, 03:53 AM
The difference between those things and this is that all that you have mentioned arose out of verifiable, repeatable, and measurable observations of the universe and properly controlled experimentation.

At no point in this is there any reasonable mechanism for communication with any other entity to take place. Additionally, the method mentioned within the first set of steps - the Silva Centering Exercise - is itself a classic example of self hypnosis hidden behind scientific sounding terms - alpha rhythm, for example. Alpha rhythm is, as far as I can tell, referring to alpha waves, which are a type of electromagnetic oscillation emitted by certain cells in the brain when someone is awake, but has his or her eyes closed. There's nothing mystical here - it's just the parts of your brain used for processing visual information going into an idle state. To return to the self hypnosis or autosuggestion portion, what's going on here is a modification - by one's own self - of behavior or belief. It's essentially brainwashing, but with the suggestion coming from the individual rather than another person.

Even more telling is the whole getting up and going back to bed process going on. This is also a critical piece - this process is quite similar to the "wake-back-to-bed" method to induce lucid dreams.

The most likely explanation for what's occurring here, when anything does occur, is simply a self-induced hallucination or lucid dream facilitated by autosuggestion.

The later aspects, wherein information is apparently gleaned from a known animal, is simply what's called a cold read technique. The example is desperately short on details - "blue, and a corner." In the example, this comes out to be the animals blue bed. But notice the vagueness and nonspecific nature of the information. This is deliberate, as it lends itself to false confirmations. You could confirm this piece of "information" with a blue painted room, a blue bucket in the garage, a blue vase on an end table, even the bumper of a blue car. If the animal's owner has any of these things, then it's a "confirmation." But in fact it's merely a lucky guess. This is a common technique of stage magicians - tossing out vague items until something sticks, and then asking leading questions. Additionally, any claims that don't "hit" are simply ignored.

In short, there's nothing fantastic going on here - besides another example of the power of the human imagination.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-27, 04:00 AM
Gorbash, do you have any pets at all? If you do, I'd be happy to try getting in touch with them. What are the actual odds of guessing the animal's favourite food or where they sleeep if you don't even know what they look like? (Pretty much everyone who I've practiced with lives on another continent).

SDF
2008-07-27, 04:16 AM
Gorbash has a pretty good explanation. The problem with this is that it has no basis in science at all. You could in fact easily disprove the whole thing by hooking up the animal you plan on communicating with to a brain monitor. When either something or nothing happens you have your answer. I'd also be willing to bet that the human would show REM patterns during the process.

Lyesmith
2008-07-27, 04:33 AM
For a lot of animals I'd imagine guessing the favourite food or sleeping place would not be all that hard. Pusscat is a very sterotypcial cat, in that his preferred place to sleep is on a cushion in the sun, and favourite food is anything containing meat (Bonus points if he can drag it in, then disembowel it on the carpet).

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-07-27, 04:34 AM
Gorbash, do you have any pets at all? If you do, I'd be happy to try getting in touch with them. What are the actual odds of guessing the animal's favourite food or where they sleeep if you don't even know what they look like? (Pretty much everyone who I've practiced with lives on another continent).
If I had a pet, I'd gladly agree to an experiment. Unfortunately, I don't currently have any. This may change in the near future - if so, I'll let you know.

First Speaker
2008-07-27, 06:28 AM
I must confess that I had a mean idea here. Suppose I volunteer a pet - my guinea pig by the name of Maccabees (second deuterocanonical book, natch) up for this experiment. Tempest Fennac could then try his animal communication on it. But I don't have a guinea pig named Maccabees. If Fennac was correct, then he would know that no such number existed, as it were, and could tell us such; if the skeptics are correct, and it's actually a product of imagination, then he wouldn't be able to do this. If we provide a list of pets, some of which are real, and some fake, and see if Fennac can determine the real and fake ones, then the idea has more credibility. However, if he gets one of them wrong - thinks that there's a pet on the other end, when there isn't, then we can draw our own conclusions as to its veracity.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-27, 06:33 AM
To be honest, I'd be willing to try that experiment, but I'm honestly not that good (the last time I tried communicating with an animal, I only got 2.5/6). If anyone wanted me to try geting in touch with animals who exist, I'd be happy to try it (I'd sooner save First Speaker's experiment until I'm consistantly getting a vast majority of the questions right to be honest).

EDIT: I just thought of 1 problem with that idea: what happens if there's an animal with a name on the list who lives near you who you don't know anything about? That could confound the results.

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-07-27, 06:49 AM
I must confess that I had a mean idea here. Suppose I volunteer a pet - my guinea pig by the name of Maccabees (second deuterocanonical book, natch) up for this experiment. Tempest Fennac could then try his animal communication on it. But I don't have a guinea pig named Maccabees. If Fennac was correct, then he would know that no such number existed, as it were, and could tell us such; if the skeptics are correct, and it's actually a product of imagination, then he wouldn't be able to do this. If we provide a list of pets, some of which are real, and some fake, and see if Fennac can determine the real and fake ones, then the idea has more credibility. However, if he gets one of them wrong - thinks that there's a pet on the other end, when there isn't, then we can draw our own conclusions as to its veracity.
That's actually a very interesting experimental model. I don't think it's mean at all, if you lay out from the beginning the parameters. I'd say you'd have to do it a couple times, with a couple different participants. As a control, have other participants pick blind - no special techniques, just looking at the list and gut guesswork. Perhaps even a fully randomized selection - flip a coin - on each as well.

I'd say you'd want at least 5, and preferably 10, attempting the communication procedure explained in Tempest's OP (Group A), at least 10 going gut guess work (Group B), and 10-20 fully randomized (Group C). And probably several lists... it feels like a small sample size to me, hard to pull statistically useful data from. Plus clearly there's a lot fewer controls than would be ideal. But it'd be a good starting point.

My prediction would be that we'd see no statistically significant difference between Groups A and B. The relationship between those and Group C would be hard to predict - a truly random result can go anywhere. I'd hazard a prediction that Group C would actually do the best, but again there's a lot of room for variation there, so it could fall anywhere.

[EDIT]

EDIT: I just thought of 1 problem with that idea: what happens if there's an animal with a name on the list who lives near you who you don't know anything about? That could confound the results.
A good point. I think it's a variable that can't be completely controlled for.

However, there are two factors that would lessen it's impact. First, it would probably show up in the results clearly. That is to say, a significant number of participants in Group A should home in on the false positive, if the technique works as described.

Secondly, I wouldn't be looking for 100% accuracy from Group A - just a significantly (statistically speaking) better result than would be yielded by "going with your gut" (Group B) or pure random guessing (Group C).

[EDIT2]
Doing it double blind would be good as well, though it'd be a bit tricky to arrange properly. I think the best way to do it would be to set up an email account and have pet names emailed to it. The person checking the email would see whether each name was real or fake, and grab the first hundred or so, remove the fake/real information, and present them to the person running the experiment. The person running the experiment then randomly selects 10 pet names per list, with no knowledge of which are real or fake. Once the results are collected, the experiment conductor consults back with the person who collected the names to cross check which are real or fake.

The concern here is that someone could "spoof" the results by either claiming a real pet was fake or a fake pet was real. The numbers would alleviate the danger of this affecting the results, but ideally you'd want the name collector to be able to confirm the existence or non-existence of each pet...

It's a bit complicated, but I think it'd work.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-27, 06:55 AM
I don't now if anyone else has really been learning how to do this (I know another person on another forum is interested, but I don't know if they are on here), and it takes a while to learn how to do it. Have you got any ideas for eliminating the risk of picking up messages from animals who the controller doesn't know about?

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-07-27, 07:08 AM
Have you got any ideas for eliminating the risk of picking up messages from animals who the controller doesn't know about?
I ninja-edited my post above regarding this :smallwink: But to summarize, I think its something we can minimize the impact of on the experiment through proper experimental design.

I don't now if anyone else has really been learning how to do this (I know another person on another forum is interested, but I don't know if they are on here), and it takes a while to learn how to do it.
Definitely a potential problem... I'd like to have all three groups go at once (probably an unnecessary control, but pays to be safe). Collecting of pet names could begin at any time, though.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-27, 07:12 AM
Thanks (it would still need a lot of accuracy on the part of people in group A, though). Do you know anyone else who would be willing to learn how to do this? (Don't forget that my animal communication skills are roughly equivalent to Krystal's flying ability in Starfox Assault a lot of the time.)

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-07-27, 10:05 AM
The difference between those things and this is that all that you have mentioned arose out of verifiable, repeatable, and measurable observations of the universe and properly controlled experimentation.

Yes, but only after the technology was there. Up until the point that it could be proven, it was thought to be preposterous. I still think the idea of atoms is a little funky, but what can I do? Its been proven, so I reckon that my theory that we are all simply powered by Tommy Westhall's imagination is not true.

My post was attempting to say "just because it hasn't been scientifically proven yet, does not mean that it cannot be proven; simply that we don't have the technology to prove it now." Unfortunately, I wrote that when I had been up way too late, so it came out weird. Now, if Mythbusters had done a show about it, then I suppose I'd consider the evidence against it, to be a bit more valid.:smalltongue:

Ilena
2008-07-28, 11:23 AM
Ya know i have to agree that would be a good experiment, i wonder why they havent done anything like that (at least that ive seen), i know around 15 or so animals that i know well enough that could be used for this :P

Tom_Violence
2008-07-28, 01:05 PM
Would the people in Group B be practitioners of the technique or not? If not, then Group A might have the advantage since they're likely to be more skilled at the 'cold read' side of things. If so, then there'd be some heavy trust factors involved.

truemane
2008-07-28, 01:39 PM
Actually, I think what you need is a public list of animals, pictures and names. Preferably a list that is NOT on the internet, but one that exists in physical form and can be referred to after the fact.

Maybe someone who works in an animal daycare, or a kennel, or a small local zoo could take pictures and attach names and fill in with X number of non-real animals.

And then provide the list to someone, who would then provide it blind for those who would do the contacting.

If it were a small zoo or the like, then it would minimize the risk of contacting a nearby animal, as zoos are generally relatively isoalted (compared to townhouses or apartments, anyway).

Volug
2008-07-28, 03:37 PM
WARNING! OPINION APPROACHING!

All I really see in knowing about animals are feeling is through its body language. It's easy to tell with my... Dog... Who is no longer alive sadly as of a couple weeks ago...:smallfrown: With her, it's just easily "FETCH", or if she wants to be scratched. It just pops into my head and I'm right about what she is feeling like or what she needs 98% of the time.

That's all I see... It's easy to tell what they want if you just think about it, I have no problem "communicating" with them without doing those kinds of steps. My dog understood me quite well as well...

Or maybe it's because I'm... Nah, you don't need to know.:smallwink:
Soon... So very soon...

Space-Is-Curved
2008-07-28, 06:35 PM
My first thought at reading this was that it's a tricky little test to do. Without the experiment that has already been proposed, there would be no way you could convince me that this works. Even if I tried it. I would simply assume that I had brought myself into a lucid dream and was seeing what I wanted to see. I can't trust my senses when I'm trying to do this.

I do think that the experiment sounds like it could work, though.

Ethrael
2008-08-25, 10:33 AM
I personally find this interesting, I don't really care whether it works or not, it's still another theory.

Tell me, Tempest, is this from a book or did you write it yourself? I can hardly imagine the scene of a giraffe walking up to someone. I've only seen them once in rl anyway.

chiasaur11
2008-08-25, 11:42 AM
Dogs are superior to mankind.

I mean, just think about it, if aliens came to earth, who would they think was superior?

The dog walking comfortably around, with the human walking behind them, scooping up their dropping and feeding them when they bark for it....

The dog, definetly...

No. Humans have Jetpacks.

Jetpacks==superior civilization.

That's a science FACT.

Killersquid
2008-08-25, 12:21 PM
No. Humans have Jetpacks.

Jetpacks==superior civilization.

That's a science FACT.

We will also soon have invisibility cloaks.

Woman's showers will never be safe again.

Ilena
2008-08-25, 12:41 PM
accually the funny thing is its true ... they are working on a device that projects the background onto stuff, and thus rendering it invisible ...

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-25, 01:37 PM
I got the instructions off someone I knew a while back. The giraffe bit only applies to them. I got a horse when I did that and it all happened mentally while I had my eyes closed (it was fun, but I felt as though it was harder to breath and I felt a lot heavier while it was happening unfortunately).

thubby
2008-08-26, 12:19 AM
accually the funny thing is its true ... they are working on a device that projects the background onto stuff, and thus rendering it invisible ...

right now it is FAR from working with visible light.

Felixaar
2008-08-26, 02:46 AM
the secret to success is discipline

And lo, we are given the reason I will never acheive.

Never, ever, ever.

Ever.

Volug
2008-08-26, 10:06 PM
I might do this out of curiousity and boredom however XD

If not part of it anyways, it can't hurt anything >.>

I'm just intrested in trying different things I can do at the moment.

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-27, 12:46 AM
What sort of things can you do at the minute, Masato? I recommend waking up about 15 minutes earlier then usual so that you have plenty of time for the Alpha phase of the exercises.

Volug
2008-08-27, 07:02 PM
Well (from what I did last night), I set my alarm for the middle of the night, and did it then.

The only things I can ask and tell so far is...
1. I can easily tell that I felt totally strange when doing it, but I'm still unsure if this "Alpha phase" is different for everyone, or has some similarities. Can you clarify on that?
2. When I went back to sleep when I was finished... I woke up and my pillows were covered in my drool >_< :smallyuk:
That NEVER happened before. I don't drool when I sleep, ever.

If you can clerify on some things like the first statement and things relating to that, it would be great. Since... *shrug* This could be interesting, so far it is XD

EDIT: You can PM me if you need too.

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-28, 12:28 AM
Apart from me, I don't know what happened for anyone else who tried this to be honest. I did this exercise just before I got out of bed, and I only felt relaxed afterwards. Sadly, I haven't spoken to the person who gave me the instructions for over a year, and I can;t remember their e-mail address. I'll try and find someone else who's done this as well to ask them about it.

Volug
2008-08-28, 07:05 AM
Mine is quite different from relaxed... Some sort of crazy/self-hypnotic/just plain strange state. Of course, relaxed plays a part, but everything else is just too funky 0_o

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-28, 07:09 AM
That sounds odd. Do you know how to ground yourself? If you don't imagine roots extending into the floor from the soles of your feet while a shield surrounds your body. That could help if you weren't doing that before hand.

Volug
2008-08-28, 07:14 AM
Never tried that, though I either extend or cross my legs when I'm sitting up. I could probably sit on the edge of the bed...

May or may not help, I personally don't think it will, may get my mind more clearer since I'm concentrating on something (thus probably lessing it or it'll become easier to ignore, even though it doesn't really hinder me, just makes me oblivious to things happening close to me).

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-28, 07:18 AM
Now that I think about, it, don't ground yourself for more then a few seconds (I was sending someone Reiki once and they got their feet stuck to the floor due to staying grounded the whole time). It's a good idea to just stand up to do it before you get started.

Volug
2008-08-28, 07:20 AM
Alirght, I'll do it next time.

Aristeidis
2008-08-29, 08:05 PM
Dear Tempest Fenac,

I dissaprove of your technique sharing. Techniques as simple as they might be, can and will have complications to certain people. (You don't know who might be reading this.) This I can assure you. Reiki-New Age people that I've met really don't know what they are doing. I don't know you but you interest me enough to say all these. Besides, the technique is only a vehicle. The driver matters. As for your experiences, the way you describe them don't persuade me very much. I've met people like you doing the same thing and I have my doubts about them too. The mention of relaxation after the technique, makes me think that it is just a visualisation. I think intuitively you gain some knowledge (from the person beside you in one of the cases - or if you have access to the Akashic Records) but if you can really communicate with an animal, where is your mention of the deep and focused sensation in the center of the brain? The center of such communication. I believe (personal opinion) that if you could really do this you would "see" that you shouldn't do it. You would feel that, with every ounce of your psyche. Subconcious communication is excluded in this statement! :smallbiggrin:
Just my way of looking at things. Don't let it affect you in any way! :smallwink:
With appreciation

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-30, 12:09 AM
Why exactly shouldn't I do it? Also, I did admit that I'm not very good at this.

Aristeidis
2008-08-30, 03:54 PM
Dear Tempest Fennac,

I must clarify that I didn't say you shouldn't do it, I merely expressed my disagreement.

Techniques as simple as they might be, can and will have complications to certain people. (You don't know who might be reading this.)

I had been given a technique (not as simple as this) and it ended pretty badly. I also encouraged other people and now I have regretted it deeply.

Also, I did admit that I'm not very good at this.

Till you are sure what you are doing, I would suggest you are careful. Later on you might find things you don't like about the NewAge Movement and I wouldn't like that to happen to another. It may be the perfect path for you and don't mind me at all. But I feel obliged to say: KNOW before YOU do, Know even better before you share with others. My friendly opinion
With regards, Aristeidis

Tingel
2008-08-30, 04:23 PM
Have you got any ideas for eliminating the risk of picking up messages from animals who the controller doesn't know about?
It's things like this that make superstitions like your animal telepathy thing completely incommunicable, because you create excuses to rationalize any negative result of experiments to test the validity of your claims and beliefs. Thus you fabricate a shield that protects your superstition from being disproven. It becomes untouchable.

I am fascinated by the willingness to take things like this seriously. In a way I even envy you for your ability to actually believe that you can magically communicate with animals, even ones on different continents that you don't even know. For me this is just outrageously absurd. Likable in its eccentricity, but still outrageously absurd and delusional.

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-31, 01:18 AM
In regards t not being very good at it, I really need more practice. Also, Tingle, I have managed to get over 50% of the questions right in some cases. (I take it that you're not willing to try it yourself?)