PDA

View Full Version : Halfling rides Goliath

Chalkarts
2019-08-23, 02:05 PM
I can't imagine this hasn't come up before.
Yes I did search, but couldn't find exactly what I was seeking, so

Q: Can a Biped/PC be a mount for a smaller Biped/PC?
Can my Halfling Fighter with the Mounted Combatant feat use a custom saddle to fight from the back of a Goliath fighter, Master Blaster style?

I didn't know if there were hard rules for this scenario, or a hard no in a book somewhere.

Thoughts?

stoutstien
2019-08-23, 03:03 PM
I can't imagine this hasn't come up before.
Yes I did search, but couldn't find exactly what I was seeking, so

Q: Can a Biped/PC be a mount for a smaller Biped/PC?
Can my Halfling Fighter with the Mounted Combatant feat use a custom saddle to fight from the back of a Goliath fighter, Master Blaster style?

I didn't know if there were hard rules for this scenario, or a hard no in a book somewhere.

Thoughts?

RAW there nothing disallowing it but it very much in DM discretion territory

Wuzza
2019-08-23, 03:10 PM
I'd allow it, we actually joked about it last session as we were controlling an afk PC :)

Trickery
2019-08-23, 03:18 PM
RAW there nothing disallowing it but it very much in DM discretion territory

Yep, that's the unfortunate answer. The guidance given to players is, "A willing creature that is at least one size larger than you and that has an appropriate anatomy can serve as a mount." The examples of mounts given - warhorses, griffons, and a pegasus - are all creatures with more than two legs, so your DM might rule that a humanoid doesn't have appropriate anatomy to be a mount.

Spacehamster
2019-08-23, 03:22 PM
Yep, that's the unfortunate answer. The guidance given to players is, "A willing creature that is at least one size larger than you and that has an appropriate anatomy can serve as a mount." The examples of mounts given - warhorses, griffons, and a pegasus - are all creatures with more than two legs, so your DM might rule that a humanoid doesn't have appropriate anatomy to be a mount.

The Goliath could run on all fours tho thus having the right amount of limbs. xD bonus points if it’s a Minotaur instead so it can at least gore ppl while running around like a beast lol

Trickery
2019-08-23, 03:28 PM
The Goliath could run on all fours tho thus having the right amount of limbs. xD bonus points if it’s a Minotaur instead so it can at least gore ppl while running around like a beast lol

You can also just have the mount-y ride around in the Goliath's backpack. The smaller character is, arguably, restrained. But attackers can't see them, so the advantage and disadvantage cancel each other. By RAW, there's no reason why you can't do this unless the DM goes with the whole sharing another creature's square argument and says that carrying a halfling in your backpack makes both of you fall prone.

MagneticKitty
2019-08-23, 04:24 PM
Most dms have a problem with granting evasion for free to the player acting as a mount if anything. (Mounted combatant feat)
Very dm dependent

NaughtyTiger
2019-08-23, 04:27 PM
my goblin war cleric rode PC's orc into battle... built a platform on his backpack...

but yes, totally DM fiat.

Laserlight
2019-08-23, 04:39 PM
In 4e, our party had a warforged barbarian and my pixie sorcerer. I kept wanting to ride inside the barbarian's head, and shoot fire out of his mouth. But he kept insisting that his head wasn't hollow, despite the evidence of his behavior.

I might allow it but I'd have to think about what it would do to the halfling's DEX saves and AC.

Brawnspear
2019-08-23, 04:58 PM
My goliath barbarian carries our gnome bard around on his shoulder just about everywhere. It's nice because we both have decent stealth, but he has much better perception than I do. Party nicknamed him or me Watchtower, he argues it should mean him because he's watching, but obviously it should be me since I tower.
He doesn't have mounted combatant or anything and generally scurries down whenever I'm about to go bust heads, hasting me on the way.

It's a nice arrangement, but we aren't trying for the mounted combatant schtick, he doesn't like staying on during combat.

Having 2 fighters seems a good way to abuse it a little bit, since the mount could go great weapon murderbot and be protected by the fighter with 21+ AC and the mounted combatant redirect (superior to the protection style since it doesn't require a reaction).

Garfunion
2019-08-23, 05:19 PM
I have to say it.

“Who runs Barter Town?”

Khrysaes
2019-08-23, 07:03 PM
So being technically possible? How would you build this?

I am thinking a Kobold, 10-12 fighter cavalier. 8 Ancients Paladin.

I was also thinking things like 3 Totem of the Wolf Barbarian.

Hex blade of course(Anything that would give booming blade really, hexblade also gives shield.)

Feats:

Sentinel(Maybe?), Protection Fighting Style?
Mounted Combatant

Honestly, provided the elf requirement was waved i would likely make

7 Ancients Pally, 2 Hexblade, 11 Brute Fighter with VDS, Revenent Blade, GWF, and Defense fighting styles.

I have the shield spell, Cha pumps offense and defense. Pally saves and Brute dice bonuses.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-08-23, 07:26 PM
my str 20 gnome can carry the half orc wizard....

sambojin
2019-08-24, 08:23 PM
Even though it costs a tonne of cash, the Awaken spell is great for this. By lvl9 your druid should certainly have a talking pet riding around on him.

Since you've got plenty of options when it comes to size as a Moon, you can just look at it as your form of extra attack. No Mounted feat shenanigans, but oh well. Can a Constrictor Snake ride a Giant Constrictor Snake? Don't see why not, considering your both pretty smart. And 2x restrain-on-hit attacks is nice for so many reasons :)

Apes, velociraptors etc are good for smaller forms. Giant Spiders, Giant Scorpions, Giant Spitting Lizards and Polar Bears are good for Huge forms.

Seriously, you'll find something worth it, that could probably ride an animal if it was smart enough too. And at 10 Intelligence, it may be smarter than you.

HappyDaze
2019-08-24, 08:54 PM
Most dms have a problem with granting evasion for free to the player acting as a mount if anything. (Mounted combatant feat)
Very dm dependent

If it costs a feat, then it has a cost.

BarneyBent
2019-08-24, 10:07 PM
I’ve always liked the idea of a Centaur Rogue with the Sentinel Feat, with a Paladin with Mounted Combatant riding. Have Paladin attract all attacks, have Rogue mount hit with Sneak Attack as a reaction. Pretty much guaranteed two Sneak Attack opportunities per round.

You could also go for a Paladin 2/Druid X mount for Wild Shape Smiting, if Centaurs are off the table.

Either way it’s probably something I’m going to throw at my party.