PDA

View Full Version : LA Buyoff + Acquired Template after Inherited Template Buyoff

Luckmann
2019-08-23, 05:03 PM
Hey, I have a question that.. I can't really work out myself.

• At character level 1, I start with a template of +1. My ECL is thus 2.
• When reaching character level 3 at ECL 4, I burn 3000xp, and my character level and ECL are now both 3.
• During the course of that same 3rd level, I go through a ritual that applies another template that has a level adjustment of +1. My character level is now 3 and my ECL is 4.

Question: At what level can I buy this off and once again become Clvl=ECL? And for the sake of argument, would it change if I don't acquire the second template until lvl 4 instead?

ZamielVanWeber
2019-08-23, 07:41 PM
As long as the first LA is burnt off you will need to wait three more levels. So if you are level 3 and get a +1 you can burn it off at 6 (ECL 7). You will catch up totally at around 15. I am too exhausted to do the math but IIRC 13 is catch up for +1 and 18 for +2 and +1/+1 is a bit cheaper than +2.

Mr Adventurer
2019-08-24, 07:57 AM
If you wait until level 4, my understanding is that you can't - your opportunity to buy off LA +1 is at 3rd level and no other: "The payment must be made immediately upon becoming eligible to reduce the character's level adjustment."

It seems as though if you acquire another +1 before becoming eligible again, you can make a savings by just paying the same +1 cost reduction at level 3 again.

However, since this is a variant, less tested rule, trying this seems like justification for the DM to make a ruling otherwise.