PDA

View Full Version : Any good melee cleric builds

Throne12
2019-08-23, 07:01 PM
The party is a Hit and run samurai fighter
A warlock and a bard can't remember there sudclasses.

So I want a front liner that good in melee don't have to be great. But also can help support the team when they need it. Basically I was a melee capable jack of all traits spell caster support.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-08-23, 07:12 PM
War Cleric?

BaconAwesome
2019-08-23, 07:17 PM
Tempest Cleric, go variant human for booming blade or take it at level 4. Throw up spiritual weapon and guardians and go to town.

Garfunion
2019-08-23, 07:27 PM
Arcane Domain Cleric
You get magic missile spell as a domain spell and 2 other wizard cantrips (Sword Burst and Shocking Grasp are good choices). You get to add your wisdom modifier as bonus damage to your cantrips at 8th level. This way you don’t need to focus on weapon attack stat.

Evaar
2019-08-23, 07:30 PM
See build number 4 in the linked thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?583957-An-Eclectic-Collection-of-Fun-and-Effective-Builds&highlight=eclectic

Nidgit
2019-08-23, 07:42 PM
Any heavy armor cleric, then grab Booming Blade and you're set. Forge in particular is quite tanky, while Tempest, Nature, War, and Life all have their own pluses.

You could potentially go for one of the tankier Paladin builds too if you'd prefer that instead.

LudicSavant
2019-08-23, 08:46 PM
Arcana Cleric is exceptionally sticky when used properly thanks to Potent Spellcasting/Booming Blade synergy. And they just have a very strong, versatile kit overall.

Tempest and Light Cleric have the best AoEs, and useful reactions.

Life Cleric can mitigate an awful lot of damage when they know what they're doing.

War Cleric hits very hard in tier 1 but sort of converts into an officer/support role later. They really want to have heavy hitters who synergize with their particular set of buffs.

Forge Cleric will get the best raw AC.

Nature will get Shillelagh and an at-will elemental Resistance reaction.

All of them benefit from goodies like Spirit Guardians.

Warcaster is essential if you're cantrip-based. It will go a long way towards making you sticky and keeping your Concentration going.

One thing you shouldn't worry much about is weapon and armor proficiencies. Heavy armor and medium armor are basically sidegrades. Martial weapons matter even less.

Makorel
2019-08-23, 09:04 PM
Does Spirit Guardians count as Melee? If yes, then all of them.

CTurbo
2019-08-23, 09:07 PM
Tempest Cleric all the way. I like Vhuman Heavy Armor Master feat to start. 16 Str, 16 Wis.

Getting Booming Blade as mentioned above is also good as is Warcaster or Res(Con)

Tempests are absolutely the best melee Clerics hands down IMO and one of the most well rounded subclasses in the entire game too.

Tallytrev813
2019-08-23, 09:08 PM
Ludic (the poster above me) has a guide for an Arcana Melee cleric that I rolled in my latest campaign that I’m absolutely loving.

To me it's the best combat class for what you're asking for.

Here’s a link to Ludic’s thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?583957-An-Eclectic-Collection-of-Fun-and-Effective-Builds)
It’s the Arcana Frontliner build. Check it out - I would bet this is the pick you'd like the most.

To be honest - I like it a lot more than the other Melee builds like War or Tempest, because with this Arcana build you only need Wisdom, not Wisdom AND Str.

SpawnOfMorbo
2019-08-23, 09:17 PM
The party is a Hit and run samurai fighter
A warlock and a bard can't remember there sudclasses.

So I want a front liner that good in melee don't have to be great. But also can help support the team when they need it. Basically I was a melee capable jack of all traits spell caster support.

Pretty much any cleric will fill this role decently well. I would go with Tempest or Trickery.

I ran a Trickery Cleric with the Chsrger feat. Lots of fun.