PDA

View Full Version : Useful Out of Combat feats

Blackhawk748
2019-08-23, 08:20 PM
In the PF2E thread the discussion of non combat feats came up. I made a comment that 3.5 didn't have much luck with these and the fact that PF2E had them (even if they were mediocre at best) was a bit of an improvement.

Someone else then pointed out several rather good 3.5 feats and it got me wondering: how many good non-combat feats does 3.5 and PF1E have?

Now, to qualify, the feat must be designed for non combat use. It can have combat usage, but that shouldn't be it's primary purpose.

Also, please label which game the feat came from. Thanks

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-08-23, 08:28 PM
3.5's Psicrystal Affinity is a fantastic out-of-combat feat. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?147603-Best-things-to-do-with-a-psicrystal)

Silvercrys
2019-08-23, 09:49 PM
Some of this is going to depend on what you classify as "designed for out of combat use". I'm including alternate movement modes that can be used to bypass terrain and some puzzles, etc. But here's a few.

Similar to Psicrystal Affinity, the Leadership/Undead Leadership, Obtain Familiar, and Wild Cohort feats are mainly out of combat feats, I would claim (all 3.x).

The 3.5 Psionics Handbook had a feat called Up The Walls that let you take part of your move action on a vertical surface.

Darkstalker from Lords of Madness (3.x) allows you to make stealth checks against Blindsight et al.

Fell Conspiracy from Exemplars of Evil (3.x) gives party-wide telepathy and a bonus on spot/listen checks. Doesn't require evil alignment or anything, either.

Mask of Gentility, also from EoE, allows you to defeat attempts to detect your alignment automatically.

Starspawn is an Aberrant Blood heritage feat that can give a fly speed equal to 1/2 your land speed that you can use without having to land for 1+Con Mod rounds. 3.x, Lords of Madness.

Disguise Spell (3.5, Complete Adventurer) allows Bards to cast spells while disguising it as a performance.

Dimensional Jaunt (3.5, Complete Mage) gives a short range, at-will, standard action teleport.

Bind Vestige and friends (3.5, Tome of Magic) can give you all sorts of shenanigans like a bird scout you share senses with if you bind Malphas with Improved Binding and Practiced Binder, binding Focalor can give you Water Breathing, etc. You can even change what entity you bind from day to day so you only bust out the water breathing or bird scout if you need it that day.

Shape Soulmeld from Magic of Incarnum (3.5) can give you some pretty decent effects like constant light sources, water walking, at-will flight during move actions (have to end each move on solid ground), disease immunity, and complete immunity to charm, compulsion, and possession effects. Unlike Bind Vestige you pick when you select the feat and can't change which one from day to day, though.

Zaq
2019-08-23, 10:00 PM
All the feats I mention by name are 3.5.

Crafting feats can make all kinds of non-combat items. Some of them, anyway.

Depending on whether you use Spot and Listen in or out of combat, maybe Fell Conspiracy.

Dream of Insight is mostly out-of-combat, as are Dreamtelling and Killoren Ancient. Yes, I’m tinkering with a build that puts those together.

Master Manipulator and Wanderer’s Diplomacy are mostly out-of-combat.

Anything that messes with your skill points (such as Able Learner) can conceivably count.

OGDojo
2019-08-24, 02:20 AM
Track is a good one, 3.5 use survival check to track people, animals, entities

Faster Healing, 3.5 basically out of combat healing increases so you dont need to use spells as much

Dash, 3.5 increases movement speed by +5 as long as your not wearing heavy or medium armor

Jack of all trades, 3.5 use any skill untrained

Eschew materials, 3.5 1gp or less materials for spells are no longer needed (cantrips become free to cast as well as a good portion of the spell list)

Inner Strength, 3.5 gain powerpoints that totals the number of times this feat is taken (not specifically combat but can be use for it)

Talented, 3.5 gain 3, 0 level powers from the psionics power list

the deformity feats, 3.5 give you various abilities like skill bonuses

Some of the vile feats, 3.5 give you pluses to skill checks made against evil creatures

Oriental Adventure has some Ancestor feats that give you a variety of abilities as well. 3.5

Item creation feats from the 3.5 books are helpful out of combat.

so theres a small list of the stuff that i found just googling 3.5 Feats list