PDA

View Full Version : I just Died

Voidstar01
2019-08-23, 08:29 PM
I just died for the first time ever, group currently lacks anyway to rez people so I assume this is fairly permanent. also we might crash and explode since I was the one driving. Not sure how to feel about this. Thoughts?

JNAProductions
2019-08-23, 08:33 PM
I just died for the first time ever, group currently lacks anyway to rez people so I assume this is fairly permanent. also we might crash and explode since I was the one driving. Not sure how to feel about this. Thoughts?

More details needed.

rlc
2019-08-23, 08:35 PM
Well, it depends on a lot of things. If the adventure is almost over, then just whip up another character. If not, then maybe the party can go on a quest to revive your character, and you can still put together another quick character

Voidstar01
2019-08-23, 08:51 PM
More details needed.

was driving a car with the VIP we were transferring in it, I only had 11 HP left from previous encounter, some guys pulled out in front of us and all took shots at me (six shots, all with disadvantage) Mr. highroller still manages to hit my AC exactly (18) doing 12 damage. Death Saves were 13,8,1 killing me dead.

Angelmaker
2019-08-24, 03:52 AM
@scrubbed@

Revivify is a low level resurrection that can work within a minute of the death occuring - not a bad spell to pick up for your group. Other than that: what do you want to play next? Will there be a funeral?

Spore
2019-08-24, 03:54 AM
@scrubbed@

Revivify is a low level resurrection that can work within a minute of the death occuring. Other than that: what do you want to play next?

Isn't a 1 a double fail?

Angelmaker
2019-08-24, 03:59 AM
Yes it is, hence the scrubbing. Funny thing, i lost a character exactly like this, due to a rolled 1. one turn before there was a healing potion incoming.

Sindal
2019-08-24, 07:38 AM
Probalby make piece with it and move on,
Make a new character, greave the old one, start a new legend.

Scarlet Knight
2019-08-24, 07:55 AM
This is why there are sons in the revenge business.

jaappleton
2019-08-24, 08:13 AM
It sucks when a character dies. I’ve had.... a few dozen die at this point.

Perspective is the key to it.

Your character died, yeah.
But now you have an opportunity for someone new.

Contrast
2019-08-24, 09:06 AM
Could you clarify what you're wanting from the thread?

New character ideas?
Ideas on how to get the campaign back on track?
Sympathy about an unfair DM?
Advice on how to avoid dying in future?

We need more info on the campaign/circumstances/your thoughts for all of these (it sounds like you're not in a typical setting as well so...).

KorvinStarmast
2019-08-24, 09:21 AM
Thoughts? 1. Roll up a new character. Meet the party.
2. Play the monsters for the DM for the rest of the adventure if there isn't a way for a new character to meet the party.

NNescio
2019-08-24, 09:21 AM

was driving a car with the VIP we were transferring in it, I only had 11 HP left from previous encounter, some guys pulled out in front of us and all took shots at me (six shots, all with disadvantage) Mr. highroller still manages to hit my AC exactly (18) doing 12 damage. Death Saves were 13,8,1 killing me dead.

Are clerical services readily available in this modern setting? In fantasy settings, usually the party can haul a dead party member back to a decent-sized town with a friendly (or at least neutral) temple to hire a Cleric to Raise Dead. Maybe there is some sort of equivalent in this modern setting.

Imbalance
2019-08-24, 09:24 AM
Dying is not romantic, and death is not a game which will soon be over...Death is not anything...death is not...It's the absence of presence, nothing more...the endless time of never coming back...a gap you can't see, and when the wind blows through it, it makes no sound...

~Tom Stoppard

Voidstar01
2019-08-24, 10:09 AM
Could you clarify what you're wanting from the thread?

New character ideas?
Ideas on how to get the campaign back on track?
Sympathy about an unfair DM?
Advice on how to avoid dying in future?

We need more info on the campaign/circumstances/your thoughts for all of these (it sounds like you're not in a typical setting as well so...).

eh.. like I said it's my first ever character death, so I felt it warranted sharing. Excited to try the Theurgy wizard (UA) I rolled up. Now I can use contingency to cast revivify on myself. The only thing i'm upset about is that our druid turned into an eagle and left the first round of combat, doesnt really change anything they only had Goodberry for healing. but still kinda a **** move.

FabulousFizban
2019-08-24, 10:56 AM
druid sounds like a *scrubbed*.

PC deaths happen. the most you can do is try to die in a memorable way, and roll up a new character.

i used to run a paladin with a 5 int who was just an excuse to see if a DM would kill a character.

Nagog
2019-08-24, 11:00 AM
If it ends in a TPK, the DM will likely rerun the last session, as getting a whole new party hooked into the story where you left off and having to re-explain the exposition to all these new characters is often more work than it's worth. Regardless, definitely have a backup character prepared.

Grimmnist
2019-08-26, 12:21 PM
As other people have said dieing is a part of the game, it doesn't feel good especially if you're attached to your character but it can be great narratively. Having a character die helps set the stakes for the adventure, it creates real risk for the characters. Not everyone enjoys this style of play, many groups have anything the players try succeed in some way(bad wrong fun), but for me I need real consequences for my character actions. Accomplishments are meaningful because of the challenges overcome.

You mentioned that you were the driving force of the group, that can be a slight problem but it also might go better than you were expecting. Maybe one of the other players will get more involved with role-playing and planning helping the long term group dynamic, if they don't, well your next character will fill that leadership void. Creating a new PC is also good because now that you know how the party plays you can design your new character to fill any role gaps.