PDA

View Full Version : Except by a Wish spell.....

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-08-24, 09:38 AM
"A creature reduced to 0 hit points from damage dealt by the nightwalker dies and can't be revived by any means short of a wish spell"

What I'm wondering is can a Wish spell be used to cast Reincarnate or Revivify or Raise Dead to restore the player to life or does this count as one of the "off uses" of the Wish spell which stand the chance of harmong the persn who casts the Wish spell?

Thanks in advance.

Temperjoke
2019-08-24, 10:43 AM
"A creature reduced to 0 hit points from damage dealt by the nightwalker dies and can't be revived by any means short of a wish spell"

What I'm wondering is can a Wish spell be used to cast Reincarnate or Revivify or Raise Dead to restore the player to life or does this count as one of the "off uses" of the Wish spell which stand the chance of harmong the persn who casts the Wish spell?

Thanks in advance.

I believe this counts as one of the "off uses" as it is undoing a specific thing, otherwise you could cast one of those other spells like normal, which the specific language of the damage description says won't work.

RickAllison
2019-08-24, 10:48 AM

Thanks in advance.

Based on Jeremy Crawford's Sage Advice about applying Metamagic to Wish-duplicated spells, I'd say that it would be an off-use. In that ruling, he treats the duplicated spell as that spell, rather than as Wish, and so if the spell itself can't bring it back then a duplicated spell shouldn't either. The necessity of Wish could be because resurrection just isn't possible by normal means.

NNescio
2019-08-24, 10:56 AM

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, it's one of the "not duplicating a spell" off-uses, so it triggers the Wish backlash.

You can cheese with Simulacrum to bypass it (make your Sim take the backlash), if you don't want to risk losing access to Wish.

(But not in AL, because the FAQ overrides the RAW there.)

Toofey
2019-08-24, 11:45 AM
I disagree it's an off use because it's defined in the creature listing as something that *can do the thing*.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-08-24, 01:11 PM
Yeah, it's one of the "not duplicating a spell" off-uses, so it triggers the Wish backlash.

You can cheese with Simulacrum to bypass it (make your Sim take the backlash), if you don't want to risk losing access to Wish.

(But not in AL, because the FAQ overrides the RAW there.)

Is this an Adventure League FAQ or for all in general?

NNescio
2019-08-24, 01:21 PM
I disagree it's an off use because it's defined in the creature listing as something that *can do the thing*.

It's something that is perfectly within the power of a Wish (and hence not susceptible to getting twisted), but it's not strictly speaking "duplicating a spell" so it is still subject to backlash nonetheless. Like the other listed uses of Wish (e.g. create <=25K nonmagic item, heal and Greater Restore 20 targets, 8 hour immunity to specific spell, etc.), which also incur backlash.

Is this an Adventure League FAQ or for all in general?

It's intended for AL only. (https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DDAL_FAQv6-1.pdf) You can consider it to be a set of 'houserules' that are used in Adventure League games. Some DMs choose to play by AL rules though.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-08-24, 09:48 PM
Isn't using Wish to produce 25k gold something that activates the negative effects?

"The stress of casting this spell to produce any effect other than duplicating another spell weakens you....."

dragoeniex
2019-08-24, 10:13 PM
Isn't using Wish to produce 25k gold something that activates the negative effects?

"The stress of casting this spell to produce any effect other than duplicating another spell weakens you....."

Yes, this is a risked use. Same with wishing all allies in range regain all their hitpoints and recover from diseases, etc.

In terms of the nightwalker, that is also the intent. A soul is a valuable thing. The question, then, is whether the archmage would risk one of their highest achievements to restore something so irreplaceable.

Gignere
2019-08-24, 10:45 PM
Yes, this is a risked use. Same with wishing all allies in range regain all their hitpoints and recover from diseases, etc.

In terms of the nightwalker, that is also the intent. A soul is a valuable thing. The question, then, is whether the archmage would risk one of their highest achievements to restore something so irreplaceable.

It’s no risk at all, any wizard with wish can just have the simulacrum cast it instead and not risk losing wish at all.

dragoeniex
2019-08-25, 01:48 AM
It’s no risk at all, any wizard with wish can just have the simulacrum cast it instead and not risk losing wish at all.

AL has built in a clause to prevent this kind of abuse. And while yes, by RAW of the spell, you might abuse it, it's a pretty common DM call to use the AL's clarification of a simulacrum risking both its own ability to wish and yours.

Rule 0 and all; simulacrum shenanigans are heavily DM dependent. The DM is going to have to give you a pass for stretchy safety net applications like that, even if it "technically" works. Talk to the person running your game, and never take the spells in conjunction just assuming that's going to fly.

On top of not matching the spirit of the spell, in my humble opinion, this also leads to sky-rocketed chances of monkey-pawing. Trying to avoid any consequences for spamming means the DM has more incentive to misinterpret or knee-cap the effects you wanted. Show good faith, and you'll often get the same back.

Porcupinata
2019-08-25, 04:44 AM
I agree that it is an "off use" of the spell, although personally I house rule that all the various "except by a wish" uses of the spell are also safe to cast without the chance of losing it.

Besides, since there's only a chance to lose the power to wish again; providing you have two people who can cast Wish (not that unlikely in a party since you'll all be high level together) you can easily get your wishing power back...

Wally the Wizard: Hey, Susie - I've lost the power to cast Wish. Care to help?
Susie the Sorcerer: "I wish that Wally the Wizard would regain his ability to cast wish!"
Wally: Cool. Did you get away with it?
Susie: Nope. I can't cast wish anymore now. You'll have to return the favour.
Wally: "I wish that Susie the Sorcerer would regain her ability to cast wish!"
Susie: Cheers.
Wally: Yep. I got away with it. We can both now cast wish again.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-08-25, 08:54 AM
I agree that it is an "off use" of the spell, although personally I house rule that all the various "except by a wish" uses of the spell are also safe to cast without the chance of losing it.

Besides, since there's only a chance to lose the power to wish again; providing you have two people who can cast Wish (not that unlikely in a party since you'll all be high level together) you can easily get your wishing power back...

Wally the Wizard: Hey, Susie - I've lost the power to cast Wish. Care to help?
Susie the Sorcerer: "I wish that Wally the Wizard would regain his ability to cast wish!"
Wally: Cool. Did you get away with it?
Susie: Nope. I can't cast wish anymore now. You'll have to return the favour.
Wally: "I wish that Susie the Sorcerer would regain her ability to cast wish!"
Susie: Cheers.
Wally: Yep. I got away with it. We can both now cast wish again.

That is good thinking. I'd be worried about it working the 1st and 2nd time then by the 3rd the DM coming by and deciding that it sends u all back in time or something. Good thinking and point though.