PDA

View Full Version : Balancing adventuring day advice

MadBear
2019-08-24, 09:20 PM
Need help fleshing out a battle my PC will be having in their town.

Setup: the PC's army will be engaging the enemies army (stronghold and followers rules). Meanwhile, they'll hear that the commander has sent 1 Earth elemental with 2 Xorn towards the town with the intent of killing civilians.

Encounter 1: 1 Earth elemental + 2 Xorn
Encounter 2: clockwork dragon surprise attacks from the clouds above. As a bonus action on its turn it has an ability to apply a arcane Mark to a building ( this will be important later)
Encounter 3: guards and archers will teleport through these markswhen the dragon dies. They wi have the orders to enter buildings and kill civilians.
Encounter 4: final boss will appear in a giant airship above. PC can enter through flight or using the arcane marks.

My question is what are some small encounters to add too this to have a full adventuring day? (So far there's 2 deadly encounters, 1 hard, 1 medium).

PhoenixPhyre
2019-08-24, 09:29 PM
Need help fleshing out a battle my PC will be having in their town.

Setup: the PC's army will be engaging the enemies army (stronghold and followers rules). Meanwhile, they'll hear that the commander has sent 1 Earth elemental with 2 Xorn towards the town with the intent of killing civilians.

Encounter 1: 1 Earth elemental + 2 Xorn
Encounter 2: clockwork dragon surprise attacks from the clouds above. As a bonus action on its turn it has an ability to apply a arcane Mark to a building ( this will be important later)
Encounter 3: guards and archers will teleport through these markswhen the dragon dies. They wi have the orders to enter buildings and kill civilians.
Encounter 4: final boss will appear in a giant airship above. PC can enter through flight or using the arcane marks.

My question is what are some small encounters to add too this to have a full adventuring day? (So far there's 2 deadly encounters, 1 hard, 1 medium).

Honestly, as long as they have chances to short rest, you may not need much more. But you could add some non combat things like rescuing civilians from collapsing buildings and the like.

MadBear
2019-08-24, 09:42 PM
Honestly, as long as they have chances to short rest, you may not need much more. But you could add some non combat things like rescuing civilians from collapsing buildings and the like.

Love that idea. Basically, I just wanted some easy and interesting challenges to make the narrative interesting, and to go through a bit more of their resources before fighting the "boss".