PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying D&D Duolingo I guess

Baby Gary
2019-08-24, 10:28 PM
Hey,

For some long and rather unnecessary reasons, a character which I am playing knows abyssal and I want to speak it while I roleplay. Does anyone have any recommendations for where I can find a good abyssal language which I can use in character? And because its a language and my DM is pretty chill, it can be from pretty much any source.

Thanks!

MisterKaws
2019-08-24, 10:52 PM
Get old welsh instead and spell every word backwards. You'll have quasi-lovecraftian levels of aberrant speech.

Seto
2019-08-24, 11:19 PM
As in, you want to learn a whole language? That's a lot of effort, not to mention that it will quickly get stale if you're the only one speaking it at the table...

Have you considered just making a list of expressions and quoting from them from time to time? That's what I do with my Tiefling's incantations. I just enter words into an online "gibberish translator" and modify the result so that it sounds appropriately harsh and demonic.

False God
2019-08-25, 12:12 AM
You could speak Klingon. It's angry and "strange" sounding enough. It's even got a course on Duolingo.

TheTeaMustFlow
2019-08-25, 05:03 AM
I'd just use the Black Speech (https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Black_Speech) from Lord of the Rings.

SirNibbles
2019-08-26, 06:45 PM
If you're going to go through that effort you may as well just go ahead and learn a real language.

RNightstalker
2019-08-27, 04:27 PM
You could speak Klingon. It's angry and "strange" sounding enough. It's even got a course on Duolingo.

I'll second this!

Malphegor
2019-08-28, 10:16 AM
Get old welsh instead and spell every word backwards. You'll have quasi-lovecraftian levels of aberrant speech.

Haha, my group, since at least half of us speak welsh we use south walean-accented welsh and english to be our Abyssal. You know, the nasally sound that bounces up and down in cadence, that I personally think sounds like they're making fun of you but they're just talking normally for down there. "Well, we just had some VICtims to torture in the VALley, aye, but it turned out they were A PalAdin!"

Infernal, however, is Recieved Pronounciation English, very proper, very BBC, very uncaring hate from an organisation that wants you to bow down and agree.

Climowitz
2019-08-28, 11:16 AM
For all demonic and evil aspects i use arabic, because i like how it sounds. Swahilii could also do the trick