PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Best spells without Material components

Cheesegear
2019-08-24, 11:50 PM
So, I'm going to take a break from DMing for a month or so, and one of my players has decided that they'll DM for four or five sessions, and that they want to make a 'survival game'. Two of us have determined that this would be a good time to test out the new Monk and Barbarian stuff, who actually get better the less stuff they have. But, I'm maintaining that if you take away a Fighter's weapons and armour, you're giving the Barbarian a significant advantage anyway, so it's not a real test. :smallmad:

Anyway, my plan is to run a Sorcerer, since they're not reliant on Spellbooks that I wont have access to.

But the main issue I've started to run into, is what spells I should pick if I don't have access to an Arcane Focus and spell materials are limited. I could maybe find a bunch of sand for Sleep if the DM decides we're running a cliché campaign where we wash up on a beach. I like Fire Bolt as a general purpose cantrip. As it ignites things, it's useful for starting fires for warmth so it has an essential out-of-combat use. Mage Hand is also useful for grabbing things in trees or picking items off of hooks if we're in a dungeon.

As a four or five session campaign, I'm expecting to end on Level 5. So, what should my spell list look like? With the provision that spells with Materials are extremely low priority

RickAllison
2019-08-25, 01:52 AM
So Sorcerer without material components?

Cantrips: Take your pick
L1: Detect Magic, Fog Cloud, Absorb Elements/Shield, Burning Hands or Magic Missile
L2: Alter Self (could be useful), Misty Step, Shadow Blade (if you have the physical stats), Scorching Ray
L3: Counterspell and/or Dispel Magic if you have to deal with enemy spellcasters, Blink, Thunder Step

stoutstien
2019-08-25, 06:44 AM
Minor illusion would be my pick.

Chronos
2019-08-25, 06:57 AM
My highest-rated spells that are on the sorcerer list, and which do not have material components (non-core spells marked with an asterix):

Cantrips:
*Create Bonfire
Mage Hand
Prestidigitation
*Thunderclap
*Sword Burst

1st:
*Absorb Elements
Expeditious Retreat
Thunderwave

2nd:
Misty Step
*Warding Wind

3rd:
Blink
Counterspell
Dispel Magic
*Enemies Abound
*Thunder Step

4th:
*Sickening Radiance

I'm not necessarily suggesting this list, since there's a lot it doesn't cover, and it might be better to take a few spells that aren't as good overall, but fill in needed gaps. I also didn't account for spells which do have components, but which are easily obtained (like the sand for Sleep, or spiderwebs for Web). But it's a start.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-08-25, 08:35 AM
Will you be able to make a staff from wood or stone or metal or bone(it rhymes)?

Make sure you or your friend have the tool proficiency to make the staff or the tools needed to mage the staff.

Crafting your focus is fun.

Cheesegear
2019-08-25, 10:39 AM
Notes from Session 0...

I could maybe find a bunch of sand for Sleep if the DM decides we're running a cliché campaign where we wash up on a beach.

Called it.
We're a band of privateers hired onto a boat, in the middle of the night, we're attacked by something massive, and the boat starts cracking apart. Whatever armour we have, it's too late to put it on, and the crew of the ship is just telling us to leave our gear 'cause there's no point swimming if we're just going to be weighed down. It's time to abandon ship! We wake up on the shoreline.

We scavenge our immediate surroundings. Between cargo crates and dead crew members, we start with:
- A set of common clothes, including a belt and a pair of shoes
- A Dagger, and one other Simple weapon of our choosing (anyone who chooses a Sling will also find 20 rocks/stones/shells)

So...Yes. There will be sand to cast Sleep with. :smallamused:

I'm not necessarily suggesting this list, since there's a lot it doesn't cover, and it might be better to take a few spells that aren't as good overall...

Instead of Create Bonfire, I went with Fire Bolt.

Will you be able to make a staff from wood or stone or metal or bone (it rhymes)?

Our group is well aware how Tool Proficiencies work (I've reminded them several times when I'm the GM). The bigger issue is how generous the DM is with items and how serious he is about whatever he terms 'survival mode'.

In any case, it seems everyone had the same idea and immediately tried to 'game' the campaign (see below).

Crafting your focus is fun.

Go, go, Jedi!

Folk Hero Sorcerer, proficiency in Woodcarving.*
Folk Hero Bard, proficiency in Cartography.
Hermit Monk
Outlander Druid
Sailor Barbarian

*...After we create our characters, the DM tells us that anyone not proficient in Athletics will start the game with a point of exhaustion. Oh? Just me? Cool.

Dork_Forge
2019-08-25, 08:11 PM
As for a useful contribution to the thread, if you go Divine Soul then Healing Word is Vocal only.

The actual reason I'm posting:

I made the mistake of noticing your signature and then telling my girlfriend, overjoyed at discovering one of her people she now has her N7 hoodie on again and is singing some song. I blame you entirely sir.

Maelynn
2019-08-31, 08:39 AM
I made the mistake of noticing your signature and then telling my girlfriend, overjoyed at discovering one of her people she now has her N7 hoodie on again and is singing some song. I blame you entirely sir.

Thanks for pointing it out and giving me that earwyrm.

I love MoS's work. Other than Commander Shepherd I especially enjoy Nord Mead and Jet Black Dress. :D