PDA

View Full Version : Sahuagin and shark week

HappyDaze
2019-08-25, 02:19 AM
Can sahuagin communicate with and control:

A druid that uses Wild Shape to turn into a shark?
A shark the druid conjures with conjure animals (these are beasts and fey)?
A character that the druid turns into a shark with polymorph?

Sindeloke
2019-08-25, 02:36 AM
As you point out, conjured sharks are actually fey/fiend/celestial, so no, which is funny, because that's the only one of those from a story perspective that I would give the sahuagin.

The other two are 100% shark from a rules perspective and theoretically valid targets, but my offhand on-the-spot ruling would be the polymorphed guy gets a Wisdom save (he does have the mind of a shark, for the moment), while the druid is wholly immune (still being, mentally, entirely herself).

... control-wise, that is to say. Communication I'd think they'd all be valid targets, though I wouldn't expect the conversation to be able to be more complex than whatever concepts a normal shark is capable of. Like smoke signals or something, doesn't matter how smart the speakers are, the language itself would be limited.

HappyDaze
2019-08-25, 03:33 AM
As you point out, conjured sharks are actually fey/fiend/celestial, so no, which is funny, because that's the only one of those from a story perspective that I would give the sahuagin.

The other two are 100% shark from a rules perspective and theoretically valid targets, but my offhand on-the-spot ruling would be the polymorphed guy gets a Wisdom save (he does have the mind of a shark, for the moment), while the druid is wholly immune (still being, mentally, entirely herself).

... control-wise, that is to say. Communication I'd think they'd all be valid targets, though I wouldn't expect the conversation to be able to be more complex than whatever concepts a normal shark is capable of. Like smoke signals or something, doesn't matter how smart the speakers are, the language itself would be limited.

Conjured sharks are beasts and fey, but I see nothing in the Shark Telepathy (below) that says creature type matters. Beast sharks, fey sharks, beast/fey sharks all are sharks, right?

Shark Telepathy: The sahuagin can magically command any shark within 120 feet of it, using a limited telepathy.

There's no DC to resist, nor is an action type listed.

BTW, I find it hilarious that a guy polymorphed into a giant shark (Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 5) still "retains its alignment and personality" despite having subhuman Int and Cha. Where does personality come from in D&D?

hamishspence
2019-08-25, 03:43 AM
BTW, I find it hilarious that a guy polymorphed into a giant shark (Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 5) still "retains its alignment and personality" despite having subhuman Int and Cha. Where does personality come from in D&D?
Maybe think of it as incorporating an element of compulsion and instinct, so to speak.

If your instinctive reaction to someone in pain/suffering is to try and comfort/help them, then you are good.
If your instinctive reaction to someone in joy/happiness is to try and hurt them, then you are evil.

HappyDaze
2019-08-25, 04:06 AM
Maybe think of it as incorporating an element of compulsion and instinct, so to speak.

If your instinctive reaction to someone in pain/suffering is to try and comfort/help them, then you are good.
If your instinctive reaction to someone in joy/happiness is to try and hurt them, then you are evil.

And if your instinctive reaction to someone is to bite them because you need to eat?

hamishspence
2019-08-25, 05:56 AM
Then True Neutral :amused:

Maelynn
2019-08-25, 07:13 AM
And if your instinctive reaction to someone is to bite them because you need to eat?

Sounds like Halfling to me.

HappyDaze
2019-08-25, 07:16 AM
Sounds like Halfling to me.

A lizardfolk druid, actually.

Sindeloke
2019-08-25, 12:54 PM
"You summon fey spirits that take the form of beasts" suggests to me fairly strongly that they're not actually sharks, just amorphous spirits masquerading as them.

Although I guess the same is sort of true of both of the other examples.

HappyDaze
2019-08-25, 03:19 PM
"You summon fey spirits that take the form of beasts" suggests to me fairly strongly that they're not actually sharks, just amorphous spirits masquerading as them.

Although I guess the same is sort of true of both of the other examples.

I'll counter with "Each beast is also considered fey" so they are both, not just fey that appear to be sharks. Effects which work on beasts--whether banes or boons--might work on them.