PDA

View Full Version : Deck of Many (Low level/ fun version)

Legokeiki
2019-08-25, 02:25 AM
Sooo I’ve always wanted to use a deck of many things in a campaign, but I’ve never felt comfortable giving my group one because I know it will go... chaotically. But I still love me some good fun shenanigans, (when they don’t derail the game) so I made a less impactful version of the Deck of Many that just has some fun effects. Lemme know what you think!

Apparently I’ve also forgotten how formatting works on here. I’m on mobile so I can’t see the UI. Any help? :(

#### Deck of Questionable Fortune ####
*Wondrous item, uncommon*
___
The deck appears to be a normal tarot deck, with 18 (5d4+5) cards. When a card is drawn, roll a d100. The effect takes place and the card crumbles to dust and is destroyed.
___

**1-4** : The creature that drew this card must make a DC 15 WIS saving throw or be blinded for a minute, as a cloud of multicolored smoke wreathes around their eyes. The creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns.

**5-8** : The creature that drew this card is under the effects of a blink spell for the next minute.

**9-12** : The creature that drew this card must spend its action vomiting up 1d4 good berries every turn for the next minute.

**13-16** : The creature that drew this card must make a DC 20 STR save or is knocked prone by a colorful giant fist which then vanishes.

**17-20** : 1d4+2 cows are summoned in random empty spots within 60 ft of the creature that drew this card.

**21-24** : The creature that drew this card gains a flying speed of 30 ft for the next minute as giant leathery wings sprout from their back. When the effect ends, the wings disappear.

**25-28** : Glowing magical armor appears on the creature that drew this card. The armor is weightless, and incorporeal. The creature wearing the armor gains +2 AC. The armor sheds dim light in a 20 ft radius. The armor cannot be taken off. The armor disappears after 10 minutes.

**29-32** : The creature that drew this card vanishes and becomes a cloud of thin black smoke. The creature cannot take actions and can only move. The creature can see and hear, but cannot speak. The creature can pass through gaps no smaller than an inch wide. The creature’s movement speed is replaced with a fly speed of 50 ft. After 10 minutes, the creature reverts, and is teleported to the spot where they transformed, or the closest spot if it is occupied.

**33-36** : Lightning sparks from the card, radiating outward. The creature that drew this card and all creatures within 15 ft. of it must make a DC 15 CON saving throw. On a failure, they take 4d6 lightning damage and are stunned until the end of their next turn. On a success, they take half damage and are not stunned.

**37-40** : A small red pouch appears floating above the head of the creature that drew this card. The pouch dumps 2d10 x 10 gold pieces on the creature that drew this card, then disappears.

**41-44** : Thorny vines burst from the card, attempting to strangle the creature that drew this card. The creature that drew this card must make a DC 18 DEX saving throw the vines wrap around their neck, and they take 1d6 bludgeoning and 1d6
piercing damage. At the beginning of each of its turns, the creature the vines entangle takes 1d6 piercing and 1d6 bludgeoning damage. The vines can be pulled off with a DC 15 STR check. If the vines are not strangling a creature, or a minute after the card was drawn, they crumble to dust and are destroyed.

**45-48** : A Pegasus appears in the space in front of the creature that drew this card. The Pegasus is loyal to that creature for the next 1d4+3 days. At the end of the duration, or if the Pegasus is reduced to 0 hit points, it vanishes in a puff of smoke, leaving any equipment it was carrying on the ground in the space it last occupied.

**49-52** : Gills appear on the neck of the creature that drew this card, and webbing grows between their fingers. For the next hour, the creature gains a swimming speed equal to their walking speed, and the can breathe underwater. After the duration, the gills and webbing vanish.

**53-56** : A number of rats equal to 1d10 x the level or challenge rating of the creature that drew this card appear randomly within 100 ft. of them.

**57-60** : The creature that drew this card instantly grows a large rack of antlers from their head. The antlers are permanent, unless dispelled by dispel magic or a similar effect.

**61-64** : 1d4+5 orange beads appear in the hand of the creature that drew this card. One or more beads can be used to create the following effects:
1 bead: Burning hands - level 1
3 beads: Scorching Ray - level 2
5 beads: Fireball - level 3
The DC for these spells is 15, and the spellcasting ability modifier is +7.
When a bead is used, it is destroyed in a flash of fiery light.

**65-68** : The creature that drew this card becomes large for 24 hours. For the duration they have advantage on strength checks and saving throws, and their melee weapon attacks deal an additional 1d4 bludgeoning damage.

**69-72** : The creature that drew this card becomes small for 24 hours. For the duration, they have advantage on stealth checks & DEX saving throws.

**73-76** : A vial filled with a blue liquid appears in the hand of the creature that drew this card. If the contents of this potion are ingested, every turn for the next minute, the creature that drank the potion must make a DC 15 CON saving throw or spend their action hiccuping violently.

**77-80** : The creature that drew this card must make a DC 18 WIS saving throw. On a failure, every turn for the next minute, they attempt to move to and attack the closest creature to them. The saving throw can be repeated at the start of each of the creature’s turns. On a success, the effect ends.

**81-84** : The creature that drew this card is under the effect of Melf’s Minute Meteors at level 5. The DC for the meteors is 15.

**85-88** : 1d4+1 Imps appear randomly within 60 ft of the creature that drew this card. The Imps are hostile and attack immediately.

**89-92** : A diamond worth 1d4 x 100 gold appears in the hand of the creature that drew this card.

**93-96** : A giant mug of delicious ale appears and shoves itself into the mouth of the creature that drew this card. The creature is forced to drink all of the ale and must make a DC 25 CON saving throw or become poisoned for 1d4 hours.

**97-100** : A potion of healing (4d4+4) appears in the hand of the creature that drew this card.

Maelynn
2019-08-25, 04:56 AM
I too have been wishing I could use a Deck of Many Things in my low-level campaign. I hadn't thought of making a low-level version of it, kudos!

Apparently I’ve also forgotten how formatting works on here. I’m on mobile so I can’t see the UI. Any help? :(

You left out the / in the end spoiler tag, that's why it doesn't work.

And if you used the ** in an attempt to make bold text, that's done by using the [B] tag.

**9-12** : The creature that drew this card must spend its action vomiting up 1d4 good berries every turn for the next minute.

Not sure if the space was intentional or that you actually meant goodberries as per the spell. If so, are the berries edible? Do they have the same effect as those created by the spell?

**53-56** : A number of rats equal to 1d10 x the level or challenge rating of the creature that drew this card appear randomly within 100 ft. of them.

Are they neutral or hostile? And do they just sit there, or do they scurry off?

**65-68** : The creature that drew this card becomes large for 24 hours. For the duration they have advantage on strength checks and saving throws, and their melee weapon attacks deal an additional 1d4 bludgeoning damage.

**69-72** : The creature that drew this card becomes small for 24 hours. For the duration, they have advantage on stealth checks & DEX saving throws.

What if the creature already is large/small? Would, say, a Gnome remain their size but still get the benefits?

**81-84** : The creature that drew this card is under the effect of Melf’s Minute Meteors at level 5. The DC for the meteors is 15.

Does the concentration aspect of the spell also apply?

Legokeiki
2019-08-25, 10:49 AM
You left out the / in the end spoiler tag, that's why it doesn't work.

And if you used the ** in an attempt to make bold text, that's done by using the [B] tag.

Not sure if the space was intentional or that you actually meant goodberries as per the spell. If so, are the berries edible? Do they have the same effect as those created by the spell?

Are they neutral or hostile? And do they just sit there, or do they scurry off?

What if the creature already is large/small? Would, say, a Gnome remain their size but still get the benefits?

Does the concentration aspect of the spell also apply?

Thanks for the formatting info.

They are intended to be good berries as per the spell.

Rat hostility is left to DM ruling, probably based on the situation. I personally would generally rule neutrality most of the time.
As for movement, they are normal rats. They probably scurry around.

Didn’t think about the size one. Perhaps if you’re small it makes you large (and gives the effects) or if you’re large it makes you small (and gives you the effects.)

I don’t think concentration would apply since the creature didn’t cast it, just came under it’s effect.

Cicciograna
2019-09-04, 09:07 AM
Instead of randomly determine the effects, why don't you tie them to the drawn arcana?

NRSASD
2019-09-04, 10:22 AM
I agree, if you want to rework it so the cards loosely line up with the arcana, you could make it more thematically powerful. That said, you don't need to. As a fun magic item to pull on 1st-3rd level characters, this is quite good.

45-48: I'd tweak the wording slightly. As I understand it, this means the gear the Pegasus is wearing appears on the ground where it last set foot, not where the Pegasus physically was. I.E. what happens if pegasus gets shot down?

73-76: I'd make sure there was a second card that took effect only if you imbibed the blue liquid. That way the players have less of a chance of avoiding its effects on repeat encounters.

Also, if you haven't done so already, you absolutely NEED to have a demon (or other powerful entity) challenge the party to blackjack using this deck.