PDA

View Full Version : DungeonPunk!

streakster
2007-10-12, 04:02 PM
So, a group I play with enjoys building stuff. Not just big crafting projects, but gigantic magicpunk devices. Some of our bests have been gigantic land crawlers, a ship, a submarine, and a battle train. Currently, we're working on a spacecraft. (I'll post details should anyone be interested.) I was wondering whether anyone else did this, or is this just us?

BRC
2007-10-12, 04:30 PM
It's just you, but can I make a suggjestion.
To increase the entertainment factor by 500% Adapt the #1 rule of machenery in paranoia to your game

Nothing ever works. Have things malfunction often with humorous consequences, not TPK type things, but things to make encounters more then "I activate my jetpackLevitation pack and smoke it with my laser Wand that fires scorching rays as many times as I want.*

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-12, 04:38 PM
To increase the entertainment factor by 500% Adapt the #1 rule of machenery in paranoia to your game

Nothing ever works. Have things malfunction often with humorous consequences, not TPK type things, but things to make encounters more then "I activate my jetpackLevitation pack and smoke it with my laser Wand that fires scorching rays as many times as I want.*

In other words, all the builders are tinker gnomes from Mount Nevermind. (The only gnomes wroth existing).

Kurald Galain
2007-10-12, 04:57 PM

Seconded.

If you don't like Paranoia, use the rule from Nockers in Changeling (which is essentially the same). Foolproof technology is fitting for scifi, not punk.

Harlequin
2007-10-12, 04:57 PM
(The only gnomes wroth existing).

Tartarus speaks the truth.

streakster
2007-10-12, 05:41 PM
Oh, our DM tries to discourage us a lot. We have any number of amusing accidents.

Tinker gnomes, eh? I know my next character's race...

Burrito
2007-10-12, 05:49 PM
There are already stats out there for spaceships. Spelljammer, although I am dating myself with this.

Crazy stuff to exasperate the DM is fun. Crazy stuff that occasionally blows some random person or object or monster is what turns gaming sessions from fun to life changing.

streakster
2007-10-12, 06:07 PM
Well, the spelljammer ships stats might not be helpful - our ship is made of wood, after all. We're trying to find a decent way of arming the ship - strapping undead or constructs to the hull is the current plan.

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-12, 07:13 PM
Oh, our DM tries to discourage us a lot. We have any number of amusing accidents.

Tinker gnomes, eh? I know my next character's race...

You must take the Master (Craftsman) base class and prestige into Gnomish Tinkerer. Both are in the War of the Lance splatbook, my favorite of the series. 5xMasterwork weapon that gives a +5 to hit? For only 1500pg? yes please! A 5xMasterwork tool that gives a +10 to my craft check? oh yeah!

Hectonkhyres
2007-10-12, 07:55 PM
You haven't lived until you have seen a gnomish artificer wielding a gattling wand-cannon. The bloody thing mounts twelve wands on a rotating barrel and can be calibrated to fire at different rates. Costs a fortune to run for prolonged periods and does some VERY freaky things to the landscape, but what would you rather have at your side when staring down all the legions of the abyss?

Yeah. My group definitely feels the magicpunk siren's call. We have had everything from a sea-serpent skeleton clad in crystalwork glass plates to hollow, steam powered iron golems piloted by kobolds. Sometimes we control the scary magic crap... but more often the scary magic crap is directed at us.

Hadrian_Emrys
2007-10-12, 08:12 PM
Mind if I sig your last line?

bosssmiley
2007-10-12, 09:00 PM
paizo.com > downloads > OD&D > "Book of Wondrous Inventions". $4.
Bought it in 1990, still use it for adventure hooks now.

Each and every invention in there (from the Black Pudding Dish Washer to the Oddwaddle Centipede to the Universal Library to the Hulk-powered TBM) has inherent - and plot hook rich - flaws in the design. :smallcool:

Hectonkhyres
2007-10-12, 09:08 PM
Mind if I sig your last line?
Me? Sure. Everything I type is up for grabs.