PDA

View Full Version : UA Ranger Gloomstalker - Character concept

Cikomyr
2019-08-25, 02:14 PM
Heya,

So I am preparing for a new game to join, and among the type of character I wanted consider was the Ranger. Precisely, I like the UA Ranger, especially with the Gloomstalker subclass. The extra attacks, hiding, bonus to initiative makes for an interesting play style.

My initial ideas were for a "cool-tempered elven archer" until I realized that I was being extremely original. (SARCASM ALERT).

So I tried thinking about alternatives way to conceptualize the class. I came up with 2 concepts, and I was hoping people had additional ideas.

1- Halfling Gambler.

Dex for cheating and card tricks. Wisdom for reading people and catching other cheaters.

High initiative and first strike with metal-edged throwing cards.. Ability to disguise self, hide and run away when things go south. Would have throwing knives and sling as main weapons. Maybe hand crossbow.

Basically an errant gambler who is comfortable anywhere, wilderness or urban environment, can hide and lay low anywhere.

2- Wood Elf.. I dont know. I mean, I have a few ideas I thrown against the wall, but maybe you

A lesson I learned listening to Brennan Lee Mulligan and Brian Murph is that if your character is a bit stereotypical, you should lean on it to see what comes out. So here's a few ideas:

- an Exiled youth who is trying to hunt down the enemies of his people in order to redeem himself.
- a runaway criminal of the elves
... Crap, no more ideas.

CTurbo
2019-08-25, 03:10 PM
I also love the idea of playing a UA Revised Gloom Stalker.

Personally I like the idea of being a Goblin. Getting to Hide or Disengage each turn as a bonus action would be great. You'd kinda of be stuck using a Short Bow though, but that's not a big deal.

Cikomyr
2019-08-25, 03:34 PM
I also love the idea of playing a UA Revised Gloom Stalker.

Personally I like the idea of being a Goblin. Getting to Hide or Disengage each turn as a bonus action would be great. You'd kinda of be stuck using a Short Bow though, but that's not a big deal.

Why the short bow?

CTurbo
2019-08-25, 03:48 PM
Why the short bow?

Small character can't use Longbow and Crossbow Expert competes with the bonus action hide and disengage

Cikomyr
2019-08-25, 04:00 PM
Small character can't use Longbow and Crossbow Expert competes with the bonus action hide and disengage

I can always use throwing weapons like daggers, throwing cards, darts.

And shortbow, yhea. Although nothing wrong with sometimes using Crossbow Experts, sometime hiding?

Contrast
2019-08-25, 04:50 PM
I can always use throwing weapons like daggers, throwing cards, darts.

And shortbow, yhea. Although nothing wrong with sometimes using Crossbow Experts, sometime hiding?

I'd advise against throwing weapons as the only plan (long range is too crippling) but they're fine as part of a plan which includes other weapons.

Gloomstalkers always struck me as kinda dour but I like the idea of an emo fashion obsessed ranger who loves darkness and terrible poetry inspired by the Anish Kapoor and Stuart Semple artistic argument who wears jet black clothes with an aggressively pink inner lining.

I'd be tempted to take advantage of the gained darkvision to use some of the races who don't get it intrinsically. I vote lizardfolk because I like lizardfolk :smallbiggrin:

Alternatively a owl themed aarakocra would seem appropriate.

Edit - Also FYI sarcasm is often denoted here by writing in blue.

Cikomyr
2019-08-25, 05:11 PM
I'd advise against throwing weapons as the only plan (long range is too crippling) but they're fine as part of a plan which includes other weapons.

Gloomstalkers always struck me as kinda dour but I like the idea of an emo fashion obsessed ranger who loves darkness and terrible poetry inspired by the Anish Kapoor and Stuart Semple artistic argument who wears jet black clothes with an aggressively pink inner lining.

I'd be tempted to take advantage of the gained darkvision to use some of the races who don't get it intrinsically. I vote lizardfolk because I like lizardfolk :smallbiggrin:

Alternatively a owl themed aarakocra would seem appropriate.

Edit - Also FYI sarcasm is often denoted here by writing in blue.

I totally knew that

My brother in law proposed the idea of a crazy demolitionist, dynamite-chucking goblin. I love it. I'll check with the DM if he can allow it.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2019-08-26, 06:15 PM
For what it's worth, I'd check with your DM about mixing revised ranger with Gloomstalker. Both are attempts to address the same problem, and some DMs restrict the XGtE subclasses to the PHB ranger. If you've already done that, great. But it's no fun to bring a character to a table and get asked to make a new one.

djreynolds
2019-08-26, 09:18 PM
Right now I'm playing a dex based archery based fighter, and I've been mostly tanking with a shield and rapier

And I've been doing great. The great thing about dex based fighters is they have lots of combat options available to them.

TWF, S&B, and archery are right there... even throwing daggers

I took archery style and sharpshooter, but I'm more than capable in melee. And though my strength is a 13, sometimes you have to break out the Warhammer or mace in combat (skeletons)... but you'll survive

So my humble recommendation is take archery style and maybe sharpshooter, but remember you may have to hold the line... and 1d8 rapier is pretty effective weapon.