PDA

View Full Version : When you need to survive a Will save

Stryyke
2019-08-25, 02:52 PM
I'm coming up on a really big lycanthropy Will save, and if I fail, I lose the character to NPCdom forever. So naturally I'm trying to find any possible way to maximize the chances of passing the save. So if anyone has some ideas about how to increase my save bonus, please share them with me.
-There are roughly 20 in game days to work with
-I'll have, roughly, 3000 gp at my disposal.
-Core rulebooks only.

This is what we have thusfar:
Resistance +1(resistance)
Guidance +1 (competence)
Stat buff +2 (Owl's Wisdom)
Prayer +1 (luck)
Iron Will feat +2
Sacred Ring +1

Cruiser1
2019-08-25, 02:58 PM
So if anyone has some ideas about how to increase my save bonus, please share them with me.
Also drink potion of Heroism (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/heroism.htm) for +2 morale bonus to saves.

bean illus
2019-08-25, 02:59 PM
I'm coming up on a really big lycanthropy Will save, and if I fail, I lose the character to NPCdom forever. So naturally I'm trying to find any possible way to maximize the chances of passing the save. So if anyone has some ideas about how to increase my save bonus, please share them with me.
-Core rulebooks only.

Guidance +1 (competence)
Prayer +1 (luck)
Iron Will feat +2
Sacred Ring +1

= +7?

What's your base will save, and what DC are we trying to hit?

Stryyke
2019-08-25, 03:03 PM
= +7?

What's your base will save, and what DC are we trying to hit?

Base save will be 7 when the save happens. DC 20

TheCount
2019-08-25, 03:32 PM
How many Gold can you spend for it?

Edit #2: what are your stats?

Get an ability to reroll a failed roll/saving roll? maybe one where you roll twice and take the better result?

Edit #3: Take either a dip of warblade/swordsage or the feat Martial study ang get the manuver that lets you make a willsave with the concentration skll? easier to get a ring of diamond mind for 3k, which gives you access to the Moment of Perfect Mind maneuver - once per encounter letting you substitute a concentration check for a will save and skills are easier to buff. also, google is your friend.

Steadfast Determination lets you replace wis bonus with con bonus to will saves.

Edit #1:
iirc one of the ion stones give a +1 to willsaves

Also, dip in a class with good will save?

pabelfly
2019-08-25, 03:45 PM
Class and race?

Also, if you have Endurance, you could grab Indomitable Soul and Steadfast Determination. Indomitable Soul lets you roll 2d20s
for your Will saves, about equal to a +4. Steadfast Determination keys will saves off CON instead.

Rynjin
2019-08-25, 04:02 PM
Base save will be 7 when the save happens. DC 20

So you have a +14 total? You should be fine.

Thurbane
2019-08-25, 04:19 PM
Benediction (Cleric 2, Complete Champion p.116): +2 luck bonus on saves, but more importantly, once during the duration you can roll twice for a single roll (including saves) and keep the better result.

bean illus
2019-08-25, 04:46 PM
So you have a +14 total? You should be fine.

Also drink potion of Heroism (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/heroism.htm) for +2 morale bonus to saves.

This is what we have thus far:
Base Save +7
Guidance +1 (competence)
Prayer +1 (luck)
Iron Will feat +2
Sacred Ring +1
Potion Heroism +2 (morale)

= +17

Benediction is only 2nd level cleric spell, and grants +2 luck.

Ring of Nine Lives, MIC 126: …"Also, once per day as an immediate action, you can expend a charge when you fail a saving throw to treat the saving throw as a success" ... how expensive? ... 5k. Get one partially charged?

Pride Domain, reroll all 1s.
Luck Domain

Thurbane
2019-08-25, 04:51 PM
If you're happy to blow money on re-rolls: Phaant's Luckstone (Ghostwalk p.72): one shot item that functions just like the Luck Domain power. 1,000gp each.

quark12000
2019-08-25, 04:58 PM
Base Save +7
Guidance +1 (competence)
Prayer +1 (luck)
Iron Will feat +2
Sacred Ring +1

= +16

Benediction is only 2nd level cleric spell, and grants +2 luck.

Ring of Nine Lives, MIC 126: …"Also, once per day as an immediate action, you can expend a charge when you fail a saving throw to treat the saving throw as a success" ... how expensive? ... 5k. Get one partially charged?

Pride Domain, reroll all 1s.
Luck Domain
You might want to check your addition

Zecrin
2019-08-25, 05:05 PM
If you can anticipate when you will make the save, surge of fortune from complete champion would allow you to automatically succeed.

bean illus
2019-08-25, 05:25 PM
Base Save +7
Guidance +1 (competence)
Prayer +1 (luck)
Iron Will feat +2
Sacred Ring +1

= +17

If we replace Prayer with Benediction

Base Save +7
Guidance +1 (competence)
Benediction +2 (luck)
Iron Will feat +2
Sacred Ring +1

= +18

That's a 19 on a rolled 1 (auto fail?), or a win on a rolled 2. Now you need ...

If you're happy to blow money on re-rolls: Phaant's Luckstone (Ghostwalk p.72): one shot item that functions just like the Luck Domain power. 1,000gp each.

You'll need a few to be safe.

Biggus
2019-08-25, 05:48 PM
-Core rulebooks only.

Guidance +1 (competence)
Prayer +1 (luck)
Iron Will feat +2
Sacred Ring +1

What's a Sacred Ring? I can't find it anywhere in the core rulebooks, is it a custom item?

Stryyke
2019-08-25, 10:16 PM
What's a Sacred Ring? I can't find it anywhere in the core rulebooks, is it a custom item?

Yea. It's a custom item for the campaign.

My class is Druid, so I'm already getting good Will saves. Ranger 4/Druid 2 to be specific.

Saintheart
2019-08-25, 10:21 PM
From Forgotten Realms, go buy a few runes of Resurgence, which would cost 50 gp each (Cleric 1 spell).

Or spend some extra cash on some potions of the same. Fail the roll, tap the rune or drink the potion and reroll. Lyncanthropy is an ongoing (Sp), Resurgence will work on it. I'd suggest a Wand, but if you're a druid it's not on your spell list.

Elysiume
2019-08-25, 10:30 PM
You're already listing short-duration buffs but I wanted to clarify: do you know the exact time that this is going to happen and can start applying buffs at 11:59.30 to make your save at exactly noon? That is, how long will you have to buff up with these short-duration buffs? Are we looking at a "drop everything, I just felt a twinge and it's happening in twelve seconds" or do you have the luxury of piling on plenty of buffs?

Asmotherion
2019-08-25, 10:36 PM
What's your Cha score?

Force of Personality allows you to replace your Wis with Cha for will saves.

Evil's Blessing gives you an other instance of profane bonus to Will for 5 rounds. Double that if you harm a good subtype and/or creature with an aura of good during those rounds. (if a caster summon a bunsh of lesser celestials).

Ruin Delver's Fortune cast as an imediate Action gives you your Cha as a luc bonus to any save of choice (will).

Finally buy the best Cloac of Resistance available with your money (or cast resistance if you can't afford more than a +1).

With a +5 Cha bonus you can augment your Will save by +20 for a single round... not counting your base save bonus or Resistance. The better your Cha the better your saves.

Let's just hope you didn't go dump Cha...

Biggus
2019-08-26, 08:14 AM
Yea. It's a custom item for the campaign.

In that case, you could also make an item which gives a +1 Insight bonus to saves for 2,000GP.

EldritchWeaver
2019-08-26, 08:49 AM
What's your Cha score?

Force of Personality allows you to replace your Wis with Cha for will saves.

Assuming this is the correct effect:

You add your Charisma modifier (instead of your Wisdom modifier) to Will saves against mind-affecting spells and abilities.

Then your scheme won't work.

Tedective
2019-08-27, 02:44 AM
Wolvesbane. Cures lycanthropy.

Also remove disease spell / potion.

Kalkra
2019-08-27, 09:57 AM
Cumbrous Will for +6, Unnatural Will for +Cha modifier. Dream Scion for +2 wis, one other dreamtouched feat and Dream of Perception for +10 insight.

Empty Mind (Psion 1) for +2. You can get that from the Defensive Shell feat, and then Strength of Two gives you +5 insight if you have power points to spend.

Warped Mind gives a bonus equal to half the number of aberrant feats you have, and one power point for each aberrant feat you have.

Crystal Mask of Mindarmor gives +4 insight for 10,667 gp, if you can swing that.

Protection from Evil gives +2 resistenace, and may just solve your problem altogether.